• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gawd help me... We are considering getting a log truck

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Just sold it last week. We had a great run with it for the last two years until a company dispatch trucking system started a couple of months back. We could not come to a agreement on reasonable rates and we decided to sell.

Scott

Sounds like some of Weyco's crap.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Alright. I'll play nice.

Years ago on the old 5X4 2-stick Macks, the knob on the main shifter was black, and the auxiliary knob was brown. So, the term 'brownie' became slang for an auxiliary transmission.

Ever hear of the term 'double granny'? That came from the term 'compound low', with the main and the brownie both in first gear. Gears on the brownie were labeled lo-lo, low, direct and high. Lo-lo was so low that it was only to be used with low in the main box.

I miss those old trucks.

I was just reading this old post and seen this. Brownie was the name of the company that made the majority of the auxiliary transmissions back in the day. I installed one of our old ones from 40 years ago into my 2000 F550 and using it almost daily still. They were a great transmission and held up to a lot of abuse. They may have used a brown knob for the shifter but I had never heard that before. Mine shifter was built my me so no brown knob. My 3 speed Brownie has under, direct, and over drive.

lg junior

I was just reading this old post and seen this. Brownie was the name of the company that made the majority of the auxiliary transmissions back in the day. I installed one of our old ones from 40 years ago into my 2000 F550 and using it almost daily still. They were a great transmission and held up to a lot of abuse. They may have used a brown knob for the shifter but I had never heard that before. Mine shifter was built my me so no brown knob. My 3 speed Brownie has under, direct, and over drive.

The Brown-Lipe company was one of the first manufactures of auxilliary transmissions. That's where the name brownie came from.
I believe they later were acquired by or merged with Spicer that built a great deal of the later transmissions.