• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hardlyworking

Sorry for a long write up, just trying to be thorough.
I have a gehl 3610 with I believe a 3kr1? engine that's been frustrating me in every way since I bought it 2 years ago... It started with not liking to start in the cold sometimes then at the start of winter last year I brought it home from a job, parked it in my driveway for a week and it wouldn't restart (wasn't even that cold maybe -3C), so I plugged it in ran a diesel heater on it for a while and after fighting it started, moved some stuff around the yard parked it and then a few days later once again wouldn't start and everything I tried failed so it sat all winter.

This spring I got fed up with not having it when I need it so I fought to try and get it running to no prevail. Finally had enough and put new glow plugs in, made sure they are working and after some fighting it fired up, used it a bit then it sat for a week, went out it started alright, used it a few more times off and on and it started alright, then it started sometimes having to crank for a while but still started, then it went back to starting decently.

Then it started taking a while to start again eventually getting worse to where I'd have to fight with it again, now it's back to not starting at all, glow plugs are still working, it had an inline fuel filter between the lift pump and tank, bypassed that still nothing, so I thought maybe lift pump so I put an inline 12v pump in still nothing, it's definitely getting fuel to the injection pump, and when I Crack the injector lines at the head they do squirt fuel but I think not enough? Or maybe I expect more. All these times it does puff black smoke out the exhaust, and some out the intake if I take the tube off...

But just won't fire, I have even tried Ether, that just makes the starter slow down or the engine to ping so I stopped that... I took the valve cover off to see if a valve was stuck and from what I can see all the lifters appear to move up and down, and I can spin them slightly, BUT I did notice after a few revolutions of the engine the very back camlobe has a distinct line right around in the oil coating (where it makes constant light contact with the lifter) but the rest don't, they only seem to contact the actual lobe. Also I know some of these models had fuel shut off solenoids, that appears to be taken completely out of this one so thats not a problem.Screenshot_20220713-105325_Gallery.jpg
What else can I try? Can I use a regular fuel pressure tester to check the fuel pressure? If so what should it be getting. Also what can I use to check compression? My compression tester for gas engines is way to big as it fits spark plugs.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
How do u shut the engine down.??
Key switch or pull knob.??
If it’s w the key, u DO HAVE an electric solenoid..
Can u post a pic of the injection pump.??

Moparl

You might have a bad valve or seat but it should still start. Does it crank over plenty fast or does it struggle?

Hardlyworking

How do u shut the engine down.??
Key switch or pull knob.??
If it’s w the key, u DO HAVE an electric solenoid..
Can u post a pic of the injection pump.??
Pull nob/cable pulls the fuel rod backwards to shut it down. I am going to the cottage this weekend which is where it is, so I'll get a pic if I remember but won't have internet untill Monday.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Depending on what fuel system u have(pump) will determines what the fuel pressure should be..
That being said, it shouldn’t be less than 5psi..
Get those pics this weekend and we’ll give u a hand..

Hardlyworking

20220718_211007.jpg 20220718_211007.jpg 20220718_211025.jpg 20220718_211048.jpg 20220718_211055.jpg
Depending on what fuel system u have(pump) will determines what the fuel pressure should be..
That being said, it shouldn’t be less than 5psi..
Get those pics this weekend and we’ll give u a hand..
Ok sorry about the delay, things have been hectic. Here are the pictures you had asked for, sorry they're not the best it is hard to reach in there and it was dark and dirty. View attachment 264218 View attachment 264218 View attachment 264218 If you need more I can try to get better ones.

Hardlyworking

From what I can tell where that rubber hose goes in the pics that's a mechanical lift pump, I could be wrong but it looks like a gravity fed lift pump with a metal line coming out going to the filter housing and then on to the injection pump, but I did try disconnecting that rubber hose and installing a 12v electric pump and it didn't help, still won't start.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Remove the steel lines at the pump and injectors.. they should be linked together and come off together..
Now loosen the inlet inlet fuel line and crank the engine..
Do u have fuel AT the inlet line.??
If yes, tighten it back up..
Move the throttle to WIDE OPEN & crank the engine.. do u have fuel squirting out of the pump where the lines were.?? If no, your pump is stuck and needs to come off.
It’s a diy job and not to difficult.
Btw.. do u shut the engine off with the key or a pull cable.??

Hardlyworking

Sorry I have been very busy lately, so I didn't get to check it the way you said, but I did take the lines off the top of the injection pump 1 by 1 the lines that go to the injectors, and pressure tested them, I wasn't getting anything untill I pushed the pressure relief valve on my gauge and held it while doing about 2 sets of 10 second cranks, then I started to get little dribbles of fuel so I let off the valve and it took a while to get fuel, probably another 2 sets of 10 second cranks, but it slowly climbed to about 50Psi, then as soon as I stopped cranking it bled down to about 40psi and held. I released the pressure and tried again and that time it started climing right away but again slow to get to 50psi, probably 10-15 seconds of cranking maybe more. So I'm thinking it might be a weak injection pump?