• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie 45-25

ricdel

Occupation
retired
I have a Genie 45-25 that has problems with the platform not wanting to rotate counter clockwise.
I think it is a 2003 ..ford dual fuel with electronic fuel injection. 2100 hrs. on the machine I can't find the serial # ??
Thanks for any help

ricdel

Occupation
retired
I Know that this is my first post. but I joined in 2008.

I have had health problems and ended up with a kidney transplant. Been slow getting back into having an interest in equipment and this lift has spent more time in the shed then being used.

Called a dealer 40 miles away and the guy said around $400 pk up & delivery so I am going to see what I can do my self.
Excellent machine other then the rotation problem and maybe I need to buy a new controller.

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Sr Technical Service Representative
It is good news to hear you are up and at it again!

Your first post refers to the Platform not rotating in one direction and the second post refers to a controller which would suggest the Turntable.
Is it the Platform or the Turntable that will not rotate?
also, what is the serial number?

It should be an easy task to find what the problem is.

Z45 Serial Number.png

Last edited:

ricdel

Occupation
retired
It is good news to hear you are up and at it again!

Your first post refers to the Platform not rotating in one direction and the second post refers to a controller which would suggest the Turntable.
Is it the Platform or the Turntable that will not rotate?
also, what is the serial number?

It should be an easy task to find what the problem is.

View attachment 101013

Thanks so much for the reply.
It is the turntable that will rotate only clockwise most of the time. I got a schematic of the controller [ copied two pages ] from a service tech and if I reset the pot voltage it will rotate the other way but this adjustment does not hold.
I thought the serial # was on the frame and looked last evening so I will go out and write it down so I can post it

ricdel

Occupation
retired
Information

Serial No. 4525 20268
Year made 2002
Manuf. date 3-14-02
Electrical schematic E0253

ricdel

Occupation
retired
I owned an old Condor 68 for 9 years. Had to hire it moved and it was a brute.
I have a Kaufman trailer GVW 25,900 that I purchase new in 2007 and this Genie hauls nice on it.

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Item # 1 on the Function Manifold is the Proportional Valve for Turnable Rotate Left/Right.
The farther the Turntable Rotate Joystick is stroked either way will open this valve wider. This
permits more oil to flow through the circuit to increase the speed of the function.
The power to this valve comes from the A terminal on the Joystick Controller Card you adjusted.
The trim-pot you adjusted controls the output of the card to terminal A.

Item # 32 on the Function Manifold is the Turntable Rotate Directional Valve.
One of the coils controls Counterclockwise Rotation and the other coil controls the Clockwise Rotation.
These are On or Off valves. Not proportional. Bang-Bang they are called.

The simplest test we can make to start the diagnostics would be to remove the nut securing the coils on valve # 32 and swapping the positions of the two coils. Leave the wires in their respective valves.
When the function is activated now, the joystick will be opposite the intended direction but will give us the indication if there is a hydraulic problem or an electric problem.
If the turntable continues to mess up in the same direction as before then it will be a hydraulic issue.
If the turntable now rotates ok in the direction that it did not before and will not operate in the direction it did before, then we can suspect an electrical problem.

Z45 Function Manifold.jpg

ricdel

Occupation
retired
VoodooMojo,
I will check this out on Monday and get back with the results.
I appreciate your willing to help me trouble shoot this problem.

VoodooMojo

Occupation
we will get it!
If there are any questiona at all, feel free to ask...we are here for you.

What part of Indiana?
I lived and worked in Lafayette and Indianapolis for quite a few years. Ran road service for many of them.

ricdel

Occupation
retired
Rochester, IN
I made 27 rd trips to Indy over kidney problems and got drafted out of PU in the 60s.

VoodooMojo

Occupation
Drafted as in athletics or as in the military?

I never had the chance to fish Lake Manitou. Anything good there?
I passed by Rochester many times on the way to and from Mishawaka when the dam was being rebuilt. About '88 or '89

ricdel

Occupation
retired
Military
Married, 22/no children

I hope to run test on the Genie sometime today.

ricdel

Occupation
retired
Just got the Genie out and brought it to the shop.

Rotates fine now. I have to run after other parts and will see if it acts up when I get back home.

ricdel

Occupation
retired
The turntable rotated ok when I tried it again this evening.
I did switch the coils so when it messes up again I maybe will learn if it is electrical.

It has started working OK before, then left me stuck in a bad position.

This same controller also controls the primary boom and will stop working and leave me up in the air.

oarwhat

I had the same type problem with mine. The swing would only work after warming up or I'd have to tap the board a certain way etc etc. Finally I had enough and was going to spend the $450 for a new one. I found this place www.hindleyelectronics.com they told me last year they rebuild them for $300. I called to get there address for shipping and the the guy says it's now cheaper to buy new as they changed their pricing. I paid $230 for the complete controller!! and it works great. I bought the horsepower limiter board that was $500 from the Genie dealer a few years back for $235. They also had the small parts to repair my other controllers, like boots and a return spring. On top of that their very helpful on the phone. If anyone needs a controller for a any make manlift I'd check these guys out. No I don't work for them or have any affiliation with them. I hope this doesn't break the rules mentioning them here. Randy

ricdel

Occupation
retired
I had the same type problem with mine. The swing would only work after warming up or I'd have to tap the board a certain way etc etc. Finally I had enough and was going to spend the $450 for a new one. I found this place www.hindleyelectronics.com they told me last year they rebuild them for $300. I called to get there address for shipping and the the guy says it's now cheaper to buy new as they changed their pricing. I paid $230 for the complete controller!! and it works great. I bought the horsepower limiter board that was $500 from the Genie dealer a few years back for $235. They also had the small parts to repair my other controllers, like boots and a return spring. On top of that their very helpful on the phone. If anyone needs a controller for a any make manlift I'd check these guys out. No I don't work for them or have any affiliation with them. I hope this doesn't break the rules mentioning them here. Randy

Thanks for the post. Randy

I feel the same way ( I am tired of it messing up ). I have a lot of roof work and want to get this fixed. I have recently found the place you mention and have them bookmarked.
Hope that VoodooMojo will post again on this.
It seems as if this controller could be bad as the dealer told me what to adjust and it had already been tweaked before. So much for the warranty I was supposed to have on the machine with purchase. Richard

VoodooMojo

Occupation
The dual-axis controller has two potentiometers and four microswitches.
Two of the switches are for Boom Up/Down and the other two are for Swing Left/Right.

In the drawing, switch 1 is activated in both directions of Joystick movement, switch 2 is activated in only one direction of Joystick movement.
Switch 1 provides power for the circuit board and provides power for switch 2.
Switch 2 provides power for the two coils on the directional valve.

Before making the investment in new cards/controllers, check to be sure that the microswitches are getting the voltage and are being activated properly.
Many times the bracket that holds the potentiometers and microswitches gets loose and can give these intermittent problems.
Also check terminal A of the control cards for clean, tight connection.

It is difficult diagnosing problems when they are not always there.
Having a voltmeter and other tools handy when the machine breaks down is not the way it usually works. It would be nice if it was.

The cards do fail but the majority of the time they get replaced only to find that it was not the cause of the problem. Please take the time to verify it is not something else. Back in the day when we used this system on our machines, countless control cards that were sent back to us for warranty claims were found to be good.

OEM CONTR2 Z45 swing.png

edit: removed cylinder, added motor

Last edited:

ricdel

Occupation
retired
VoodooMojo

Excellent !
I for one have been guilty of replaceing parts with out the proper troubleshooting.
I have the tools required to check this out. Just needed you to point me in the right direction.
One of the techs at the place I have purchased this from [ Warsaw area ] is good but they have had different managers and look at the $ . I would have sent the machine in but when talking about trucking it was going to be 4 times what I have paid them before. I had clutch problems at the time with my truck.
I really appreciate your getting back to me.