• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie GS3232 lift up function not working.

DANNYBBOY

Hello I am new to this forum, so I have a Genie 3232 year 2011, Forward, reverse, will turn left and right, outriggers go down and up, everything works fine, but when I try lifting up, the motor will activate for a few seconds and then all functions will get block, I will have to turn it off and turn it back on for the functions to work again, only when activating the joy stick in the up mode will block the system completely, we replaced all 4 batteries, were old anyway, motor controller was replaced because was reading 17 volts when we need 24v, so we upgraded the motor controller directly from genie and now we read 24 volts. but we still have the same problem, has anyone had this problem before, if so, please guide me the right direction. thank you.

Zewnten

Serial number. Have you followed the troubleshooting guide genie provides on their website? If not look up genie service manuals and select your machine serial group.

DANNYBBOY

Serial number. Have you followed the troubleshooting guide genie provides on their website? If not look up genie service manuals and select your machine serial group.
SERIAL NUMBER GS3211A-96070, I did look up in the manual for trouble shooting tips and the problem is that there is no error code on the platform controller or the ecu display, level sensor, works fine, tested the limit switches, the outriggers extend and retract with no problem, its only when activating the lift up, seems to make a short somewhere that blocks everything.

Zewnten

There is a relay on the motor that drives the pump. Is it working? Loose electrical connections also cause this. Sometimes I run a heavy gauge wire from the batteries to the motor controller to make sure nothing in between is acting up. Make sure you know what you’re hooking up before you try that though.

DANNYBBOY

Thanks, Zewnten for taking your time and helping me out, the relay that you mention was the first thing that I tested and replaced, I got in contact with a company that works with joystick control. I'm going to ship the Joystick to them so they can test the motherboard inside the Joystick control.

Zewnten

Have you plugged the joystick into the lower connector bypassing the scissor harness? Lot of times it’s the harness that’s bad not the joystick. If that doesn’t work open up the joystick and make sure you’re getting power in and out like you’re supposed to.

DANNYBBOY

Yes, I plugged the control on the lower connector, still same results, I checked the level sensor, and there is a limit switch next to the level sensor and everything seems to be working fine, I was thinking if the Joystick was to blame for not lifting up, shouldn't the up and down switch work. If I turn the key to power the lower controls, the up and down switch should work but instead does the same reaction as the platform control. So, like a said only the lift up option does not work, the down switch option works on both controls. I will check continuity from the up-coil harness that goes from the manifold to the outrigger ECM, When I activate the Up Function, I will receive 22 volts in the up-coil wire harness which has a ground and power cable colored blue and dark, for a few seconds and then it will banish and lock all other functions. At this point I have no clue what to replace, ither the outrigger ecm or the ecu ecm or the joystick.

Zewnten

Down will almost always work as the amperage required is very low, just enough to allow gravity for the cylinder to collapse. The real power draw is pushing the lift up. Personally sounds like a loose wiring connection between the batteries, fuse, relay, or motor controller. Might also be a bad relay or corrosion in the wiring. Something dropping out when amperage is drawn to run the motor. Try voltage drop testing each connection from the first battery in series until you get to the motor.

Last edited:

DANNYBBOY

Good morning Zewnten, I wanted to thank you for taking your time in helping me, I was able to find the problem, The problem was in the coil, when the problem started, the first thing I checked was the coil, I replaced it with a supposedly good one we had in stock, but unfortunately that coil was no good, I was able to find another coil and now the up function works fine. You might say that was so easy to diagnose, where it got me confuse was when I checked for voltage on the up-coil harness, It should it read 24 volts every time I press the up switch, but for some reason it will throw 24v like for a second and then decrease to .9 volts so that's why I thought that there was a short somewhere. Luckily with you help I was able to pinpoint the problem I really appreciate, hopefully whenever I have another problem, I hope I can reach you.