• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie TZ 34 Secondary Boom

Mechanicsville804

I have a TZ 34 with a secondary boom that will not go up underload. If no one is in the basket I can get it to go up really slowly.

Mechanicsville804

Hey guys,

I am just going to hit this thread again and try and wake it up.

So I am working on a Genie TZ3410-300 and my secondary boom is extremely weak, it will only extend very slowly and with no weight in the basket. With weight in the basket the hydraulic pump is running but not enough strength to make the secondary boom extended.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing a loss of power to my secondary boom?

Thank you

03hdrk

That looks like your serial number, not your model number - I think it would be a TZ 34/20, but I could be wrong. I work on a lot of genie lifts but have not worked on this specific model, but many things are likely the same in the engineering.
Things to look for: check voltage at solonoid on valve that controls the function, o-ring inside valve could be blown letting fluid bypass, if there is some kind of weight sensing system - it could be the sensor related to that. Genie puts their manuals online at genielift.com - go to support and manuals.
Could go into more detail, but you will need to be fairly good with a multi-meter and electrical terminology. There is also a chance there is a control board gone bad, but that is expensive. Sometimes a recalibration of a joystick can fix some problems like this. If there is a joystick that both of these functions are operated, the joystick could be bad, but usually I find it is not the joystick. Loose or corroded connections usually make it look like a joystick. I will try to keep a lookout for your reply

Txhayseed

Agree. Check the voltage at the coil. If coil is good you need to check the stem valve and make sure it is shuttling to full stroke via magnetic force from coil. Quick check is swap funtion lines on manifold with another function. If boom operations are normal then its coil or valve. If problem does not change and stays with the boom on another circuit you probably have a counter balance valve or cylinder issue. Try swapping hoses with say turntable rotate first. Easiest way to get started.

Mechanicsville804

Thank you 03Hdrk and Txhayseed!

I did swap lines to no avail and swapped valves to no avail. I've looked through all the fitting and all look clear of debris and have to guess its in the cylinder. I've taken the cylinder up to a shop asked them to go through it and see if they can find a problem. Also, I back probed the connecters to the solenoids at the secondary boom and they read the same as the primary boom read which is having no problem.

Once again, Thank you guys for the imput. I will keep yall posted.

Mechanicsville804

still no relief here. Had they cylinder repacked thinking I could have a bypass. I bring it back to the shop and hook it up to the hydraulic hoses on the machine but do not but said cylinder in to its place to see its function with absolutely no load. The cylinder still sputters and moves slow. I have seen this cylinder work properly at the place we asked them to repack it. I have swapped lines, valve, and still my problem stay on this cylinders desire to not raise the basket.

Txhayseed

Have you checked the manifold pressure ? You need to see the pressure is being supplied by your hydraulic pump. Raising the boom is the biggest demand and ask for the hydraulic pump. Its requires the most out of any of the functions. You can get all other functions from a low performing pump but boom lift absolutely taxes the pump to the max. I would check that and see.

Mechanicsville804

Praise God, and thank you for your continued help TxHayseed. Problem is resolved, the relief valve needed to be adjusted in to bring the pressure up for the secondary boom! thank you for your help!