• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Genie Z45/25J Boom problem

Billy B.

Hello,
I Have a year 2000 Genie Z45/25J aerial lift. I was recently doing some tree trimming and the secondary boom failed to retract. I had gone up and down a couple of times, but this time it refused to work leaving me stranded 20 feet up. Once climbing down I found that the ground control failed to work as well. This secondary boom has 2 hydraulic cylinders which work in harmony. When using the toggle switch from either the basket or ground location I can see that the hoses going to these hydraulic cylinders "stiffen" for a fraction of a second and they act like they'll retract, but then nothing happens. They continue to extend normally, just wont retract. All other basket or ground controls work normally. Each of these cylinders have a counterbalance valve. To complicate the issue further I recently replaced the connecting hoses between these 2 cylinders and rebuilt the hydraulic cylinders for the primary boom. My first thought is that one or both of the counterbalance valves have failed. My next thought was that there is a check valve orifice that got clogged when I replaced the hoses. My last idea is that there is some sort of air-lock caused from re-building the other cylinders. I would really appreciate any ideas that could point me in the right direction? Thanks to all.