• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Getting CCO certified?

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
hello everyone, I have an associates degree as heavy equipment operator and now that I'm done with that I'm looking get CCO certified. Can some people provide info about where, how, and the cost associated with this? I live in PA so it needs to be in the northeast area.

John H

Occupation
Arborist, Equipment operator
I want to do this also. I am a licensed crane operator in Mass but want to get NCCO certified also.

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
Nccco

I want to do this also. I am a licensed crane operator in Mass but want to get NCCO certified also.

I am not advocating one school over another, but I just completed my training in Brentwood, NH for large and small telescoping hydraulic. I am taking my CCO tests the end of the week. Was an excellent program I just hope I pass my written and practicals.

Brent
Derry, NH

DuraMaxMan66

Occupation
PT student/operator
it doesn't say anything about the cost associated with taking the test on your own at one of the nccco places vs. Going to a school to get the cert? How long are the school classes?

53cummins

i am taking the written test this sunday.. for the core and three specialties it was $185 just for the test. i believe the it will be another 85 to take all three practicals.... that is through local 66

Last edited:

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
Ats

i am taking the written test this sunday.. for the core and three specialties it was $185 just for the test. i believe the it will be another 85 to take all three practicals.... that is through local 66

The Classes were three week long..as far as the cost I am not sure...The VA benefits paid for the school. I think around 3-4k. It includes the first CCO written and practical. If you fail you pay again for the CCO exams (which ever you miss).

I got adequate time on the machines..another week would have been nice. I was running a Manitowic 17 ton boom truck and a brand new Grove R/T535. (35 ton swivel cab). Running the Grove is easy compared to the boom truck. Very touchy controls on the boom truck. You can't hear the hydraulics on swing, so you have to glance at the base of the boom to see when the table begins to swing. Otherwise you tend to over control.

Brent

BigIron25

I dont know much about the school but theres one down in Oklahoma thats run by a program called NAHETS the National Association of Heavy Equipment Training Schools. I think it also may be referred to as the oklahoma college of construction. www.ok-cc.com I heard the program was about $8000

Lugghead

No matter how many CCO's you have, you still have to EARN that seat. Being book smart (the written) and runnin' a rig through a course isn't the same thing as sitting in a rig day in and day out. The practical did put me through some maneuvers that I normally don't do (I did the the small on a Broedy and running 3 functions at once isn't the easiest thing to do!).

Every job and every machine is different. The more familiar you are with a rig, the better off EVERYONE is! That's why you're supposed to have 1000 hours before you can even apply to take the CCO.

Not to mention the fact that every craft foreman that you work for says its THEIR rig.
Yes its a 60t rig, NO it won't lift 60t with 120' of stick out........Yada Yada Yada.........You get my point.

:soapbox :my2c

td25c

Nothing wrong with training schools and certification's .All education helps,But there is no better education than working around older more experienced operators & riggers ,And alot of seat time in different cranes.I enjoy talking to my great uncle who is now 92 years old.He ran cranes his whole life and has seen the best and worst of crane work.I have learned alot from the older operators,the same rules apply now as they did back in old day's.Experience is something that comes with time on any job,I get more every day.

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
Would be nice to find a job. Goes without saying time in the seat with an experienced operator. Catch 22 need experience, can't get it without a job ARRGH!
Screw it...I will stay retired.

Lugghead

Right now, the economy sucks for everyone!! It doesn't matter if you're an apprentice, journeyman, CCO or non-CCO. You just gotta keep plugging along and when you do catch a break you gotta make the MOST of it!!

Dualie

agreed. NOTHING will make up for experience in the seat.

And to score high on the practical you need to be very proficient at three sticking a boom truck.

a pointer for setting the ball into the barrel during the practical is CHEAT by using the LMI readout and note the boom angle. Then when your swinging into position with the overhaul ball you can get your boom angle perfect then you just have to get the ball settled and drop it in the barrel.

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
Job!

Right now, the economy sucks for everyone!! It doesn't matter if you're an apprentice, journeyman, CCO or non-CCO. You just gotta keep plugging along and when you do catch a break you gotta make the MOST of it!!
Well...It finally happened, I got an interview this Thursday! YaY!
Pretty much a formality; Looks like I will be operating a GMK5135 Grove.

I thought it would never happen.

Brent
Derry, NH

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Well...It finally happened, I got an interview this Thursday! YaY!
Pretty much a formality; Looks like I will be operating a GMK5135 Grove.

I thought it would never happen.

Brent
Derry, NH

That's great news Brent! Good luck, send us some pics of that Grove. :usa

w1ia

Occupation
semi-retired
That's great news Brent! Good luck, send us some pics of that Grove. :usa
Thanks Buckethead...I am nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof. My foreman might think I am soft, but I will ask him to take a picture of me with the Grove. She's a sweet machine....lots of the pics are modular homes and the company employs there own professional riggers. I won't have to sweat the people rigging my loads. I think it will be a small step up from the RT535 I ran at the school ;)

crane operator

Great news w11a! Since it sounds like you'll be new to gmk's here's a couple pointers. Setting modular houses can be a muddy enterprise. If you end up in a big mudhole and are trying to get out, don't swing the steering side to side like you would with a wheel loader or articulated tractor, the steering arms and A-arms won't take the strain, especially if you have counterweight mounted. If you lock up all of the differentials, make sure you stay straight when you hit dry ground, the driveshafts won't take that either. When you're on unlevel gravel or dirt, the suspension systems make it easy to spin the tires. When the wheel spins, don't panic and slam on the brakes, that also takes out drivelines. You can instead just back off the throttle and hit the suspension button up and down and it will make the spinning wheel travel down, giving it traction. Remember to lock the suspension before going up on outriggers. Also mod houses are always soft around the foundations, don't get too close to the basement walls, and use big outrigger cribbing, you don't want to crack the walls, or worse yet end up in the basement. The suspension makes it easy to set up on unlevel ground, let us know how it goes. If you have any other questions, ask away! Someone here will know the answer.