• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Gift ideas for operator

Sujo

Hey there! My husband’s birthday is next month. He has been running equipment personally and professionally (military) for 55+ years. Have loads of equipment, tools and gadgets around the farm but the newest piece is an old Cat 215C. Getting new rollers, filters, fluids, maintenance and then will be back in service.
I bought a tactical storage pouch that lays flat in a 20” circle for his birthday next month. What are some items to put in the bag that he could leave in the cab for immediate use while out in the pastures? Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your help! Sujo

skyking1

A farm guy might like a fan to put in the cab, like you see in a truck. Does it have glass? some window cleaner. If it does not have a whisk broom get him one to kick the dirt out the door.

chidog

Maybe a nice size die cast model of one of his favorite machines, something that can sit on a shelf or some spot in the living room.

Sujo

No
A farm guy might like a fan to put in the cab, like you see in a truck. Does it have glass? some window cleaner. If it does not have a whisk broom get him one to kick the dirt out the door.
No glass ATM, tempered and some mesh in the works for a mulching blade
Whisk broom♥️

Sujo

Think Alabama farm boy….up at 5 in overalls bush hogging when we are at the farm!
I should have mentioned this is a reconditioned ‘89 model. We did not roll into the dealership and stroke a check for a new one.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
How about an insulated tumbler.. like the Yeti cups.??
I got mine at Ace Hardware for 20.00 and bought a handle for it too.. it keeps ice for 24hrs in the heat..
How about a cup holder.??
If u go to a boat store, u can get one on a gimbal.. it moves left and right without spilling..
If he smokes, how about a cigarette lighter that’ll mount in the dash.?? Drill a hole and hook up a 12v power source.. beats the hellouta trying to light a bic when the wind is blowing..
Hope it helps..

Sujo

How about an insulated tumbler.. like the Yeti cups.??
I got mine at Ace Hardware for 20.00 and bought a handle for it too.. it keeps ice for 24hrs in the heat..
How about a cup holder.??
If u go to a boat store, u can get one on a gimbal.. it moves left and right without spilling..
If he smokes, how about a cigarette lighter that’ll mount in the dash.?? Drill a hole and hook up a 12v power source.. beats the hellouta trying to light a bic when the wind is blowing..
Hope it helps..
Cup holder…..brilliant!!!!

skyking1

A seat cover?
I'm going to step out on a limb and figure that that thing has a really bad seat. A seat cover at minimum, if not have the cushion replaced at a good upholstery shop. I find if I can just get the bottom cushion nice that's all I need on an excavator.

Sujo

The seat is toast. He is already on it.

$2k from Cat
$238 after market (though likely NOT memory foam.)

Sujo

So he has lots of tools but what kind of set would he need to have on hand in the cab at all times? That would be a nice thing to load in the tactical pouch.

Sujo

Once the birthday passes will definitely send him this way. He can drive just about anything, loves the big boy toys and a generally great guy! Was an army engineer along with spending his entire life on a farm. You guys will like him

skyking1

I've had much better luck getting seats done by upholstery shop. It won't be $238, it won't be $2,000, but it's going to be somewhere in between with really good upholstery and good custom cushion. It will last him forever.

skyking1

For tools, I would get a Milwaukee powered grease gun, an assortment of grease fittings, A little socket set for changing out those grease fittings. Get a lock-n-lube fitting for the grease gun. Those are the bomb diddy.

Sujo

He does not! Awesome advice gentleman, I so appreciate your help. Gonna do a Milwaukee setup with a cup holder as well.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Grease gun has been mentioned, if you're putting a mulch head on it a sharp folding knife, small bolt cutters and Channel Lock pliers are in order for when you snag something unexpected, and you will. The knife will handle rope and vines, the bolt cutters and pliers fence wire.