• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GM Diesel, interesting how times change...

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Got hired by Union Pacific out of Roseville but in the meantime been working for a company in Stockton building Detroit 2-Strokes. So interesting how times change, I'm working with one other mechanic 69 years old and he's been at it since the 70's but he can't last much longer. Such beautiful engines in my opinion, the 53, 71, and 92...just sayin...strange to be working on these engines in CALIFORNIA where they have become practically obsolete.
IMG_1499.JPG IMG_1509.jpg IMG_1560.JPG

rwoody

Occupation
Heavy Repair/Sales/Military Surplus
thats awesome good old engines but ............EPA has hurt the poor man running them!

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
One has to give credit to the designers & engineers that created such a versitale platform.
There has ever been (or will be) a commonized engine design that has powered the machinery that a 2 stroke Detroit has. Just keep adding cylinders, ok, make it a "V", keep adding cylinders, more power?, make 'em bigger cylinders.

Ed

Brodiesel

Occupation
In my own excitement I forgot that there was already a good thread goin on these engines, and I had already commented on it. !!Duh.

ol'stonebreaker

Occupation
retired
I liken them to the small block Chevy. 52 years old and still the same basic block design. Detroit and SBC prove the old adage: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Mike

Former Wrench

Occupation
Retired
Back in the 70"s I worked for a Detroit Diesel distributor. Once in awhile old 2 valve 6-71's would come in for rebuilding that had the word "Battle" stamped in the throttle. I was told these came out of WWII landing crafts and that setting allowed more fuel so the boat could ram the beach at a higher rate of speed and get the troops in closer.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Back in the 70"s I worked for a Detroit Diesel distributor. Once in awhile old 2 valve 6-71's would come in for rebuilding that had the word "Battle" stamped in the throttle. I was told these came out of WWII landing crafts and that setting allowed more fuel so the boat could ram the beach at a higher rate of speed and get the troops in closer.

Now that would be cool. I'm fascinated with them, have been since the first runaway I heard about 20 years ago when I worked for the crane company. Never heard anything like them up to that point. Not too many engines capable of powering everything you own and have so many common parts. In the bush they'd be ideal IMO.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member

That doesn't quite add up...if the injector racks go to full travel in the course of normal operation how could they add more fuel in battle condition? Did they have some kind of rack stop so they did not go quite full unless in battle mode? Or was battle mode perhaps higher RPM in the governor instead?

StanRUS

That doesn't quite add up...if the injector racks go to full travel in the course of normal operation how could they add more fuel in battle condition? Did they have some kind of rack stop so they did not go quite full unless in battle mode? Or was battle mode perhaps higher RPM in the governor instead?
Good ?, guessing increased RPM.

@Junkyard fast forward to 4:07

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Oh hell yeah. Buzzin dozen baby! For those who understand no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation is possible!

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
I found that article and one other the only references to the "battle governor". 165 HP normal/225 HP battle. That is quite a jump. Neither article seems to mention how it was accomplished.

Brodiesel

Occupation
Yeah that article is great. Exactly what Im talking about how the Detroits go way back and are connected to to the Designs of Charles Kettering and Wintons 201A locomotive engines. Super cool.

lantraxco

I've never believed it, but was told by more than one "old guy" (of which now apparently I am one) that some of the old Greyhound GM buses had an override in high gear that pushed the governed rpm way up. One old guy I worked for claimed a bus passed him late at night doing in excess of 90 mph, as he was rolling well past 80 in his big Mercury sedan back in the sixties. Could be true, the detroits would probably hang together running under constant load at higher than normal governed rpm though I am sure it would shorten the lifespan.