• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GMC brigadier 6v92???

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
Looking at buying one of two, between a 79 and a 83 while the 79 showed 500,xxx miles and the 83 showed 113,xxx miles. Looking for good bad, etc.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The 6V92 I used to drive in a White Road Commode had 300 horsepower and actually surprised me compared to the 71 Series, it has a lot more low end torque than the old 71s. I don't know if it's the turbo or bigger displacement, but it would keep up decently with the Cummins powered trucks, they were 300 hp too. Being it was a Detroit, I used to thrash that engine and it never missed a beat, it actually sounded a lot smoother than the Cummins sixes. Most of the trucks had upwards of 700,000 miles and I can't recall ever seeing those trucks in the shop with the engine torn down.