• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

going back to school

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
i left school at age 14, i must have really impressed some of my teachers with my intelligence as a quite few of them told me they could not teach me anymore stuff. due to the global financial crisis i thought it may be a good time to go back to school and see if i could learn some more to help guide me through these demanding times, as many of my old high school teachers told me they could not teach me any more stuff i thought i may as well go straight to university, ( i am hoping they have smarter teachers than at high school)am starting tomorrow, i may be a bit rusty as it is 44 years since i finished high school. i will take my camera along and will post some pics of my first day..

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I couldn't go without a cane!!LOL.Ron G

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
I couldn't go without a cane!!LOL.Ron G
:lmao

All the best in your change of direction, Pete. I guess the tree munching will have to be done on the weekends. What subjects are going to do?

Rn'R.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
first day at uni

my first task at university was to clear and grind some trees so they can build a new library, that went well.i asked if i could enroll and learn some new skills, when i said i wanted to be a brain surgeon they said they did not think i would be suited to that, they suggested maybe i might want to do a degree in economics, i thought about that for a while but i figured most of the guys that ran the banks that went broke had some kind of degree in economics so i thought doing that would be a backwards step, they had nothing else to offer that suited me so i guess i will keep on clearing and mulching trees.

Attachments

• P1040360.jpg
    P1040360.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 493
  • P1040363.jpg
    P1040363.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 497
  • P1040364.jpg
    P1040364.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 490
  • P1040366.jpg
    P1040366.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 502

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
Duh!!! Fooled me, Pete. Nice pics. Just make sure you concentrate on the job and don't be distracted by those young female uni students.

Rn'R.

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
going back to school... what for???

i must have really impressed some of my teachers with my intelligence as a quite few of them told me they could not teach me anymore stuff.
I think the above statement is one of the most brilliant applications of logic I have ever seen... :cool2

they suggested maybe i might want to do a degree in economics, i thought about that for a while but i figured most of the guys that ran the banks that went broke had some kind of degree in economics so i thought doing that would be a back wards step
Same as above... :cool2

I've often wondered why all economists aren't filthy rich... :confused:

BTW... nice pictures... :thumbsup

OCR... :)

Last edited:

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Duh!!! Fooled me, Pete. Nice pics. Just make sure you concentrate on the job and don't be distracted by those young female uni students.

Rn'R.

no distractions for me rocks,being in a happy relationship there is no way i would be looking at other women, however i imagine some less disiplined guys could get distracted by the large number of young attractive uni students walking around the place.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
I think the above statement is one of the most brilliant applications of logic I have ever seen... :cool2

Same as above... :cool2

I've often wondered why all economists aren't filthy rich... :confused:

BTW... nice pictures... :thumbsup

OCR... :)
i cant recall any of my former school teachers using the word "brilliant" and my name in the same sentence.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
the problem with a lot of economists is they subscribe to the "hand theory" an example of this is, " i believe interest rates will fall this year ", on the other hand they could rise!!

Iron Horse

If mommy ties your playlunch money up in your hanky with a knot you could not undo like mine did , just rub it up and down on the bricks to wear a hole in it like i used to . She stopped doing it after a while :cool:.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
If mommy ties your playlunch money up in your hanky with a knot you could not undo like mine did , just rub it up and down on the bricks to wear a hole in it like i used to . She stopped doing it after a while :cool:.

i will keep that in mind.went to slatterys auction at newcastle today, some real cheap trucks, a 2007 scania, V8 engine, 580 horsepower, 317,000 klms, looked like new $83,000, 2004 MAN, tg24 460 which is 460 horsepower 500,000 klms very clean tidy truck $35,000.
cant believe how prices have dropped.also a komatsu 45 tonne excavator 2007 model , just over 1000 hours, $270,000. very nice looking machine.

Last edited:

Iron Horse

Those are great deals , that Scania would be perfect on a float . I made an offer of $44,000 inc gst for a 2002 MAN that Black Truck Sales have had for 3years trying to sell . I did'nt even get a reply , i must have insulted them . They can buy it another 3 birthday cakes as far as i'm concerned , i'd be the only bloke on the planet that would be interested in it . I was pretty keen on those Volvos i showed you , but now i think i can have my pick of late model trucks for the same money , they can't give them away .

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
Those are great deals , that Scania would be perfect on a float . I made an offer of $44,000 inc gst for a 2002 MAN that Black Truck Sales have had for 3years trying to sell . I did'nt even get a reply , i must have insulted them . They can buy it another 3 birthday cakes as far as i'm concerned , i'd be the only bloke on the planet that would be interested in it . I was pretty keen on those Volvos i showed you , but now i think i can have my pick of late model trucks for the same money , they can't give them away .
for sure, i reckon they will get cheaper before they get dearer.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
for sure, i reckon they will get cheaper before they get dearer.

My stone broker has a "Mr Fix-it" mate who generally organises truck and finance for big jobs...you want 70 semi's for job he's your man. He was at the yard the other day saying that lots of guys are just parkin em up and tossin in the keys. You can buy good prime movers over here for 30-40 grand.

My tree lopper rolled his truck about 18 months ago. It was a write off and he only had it insured for about 35 grand....couldn't buy a piece of junk for 60 grand and was looking at 80 for something decent. He went and bought an old banger Bitsamissing for about 12 and put a sea container on it to keep him going. Just a few weeks ago be got a 2006 Isuzu single axle with Bissalloy tipper/chipper body, 130,000k's all decked out ready to roll for 44 grand. That rig 18 months ago would have cost about 140K new on the road.