• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good gear puller set...

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Can somebody recommend a good all around puller set? I have gone far too long with minimal tooling and it's starting to drive me crazy. Non hydraulic just a nice combo set for a variety of applications, anyone? OTC, Snap-On or what?

crane operator

I've got nothing but good to say about posi- lock pullers for a general gear puller. They make two and three jaw in different sizes. They take a lot of room to get mounted, but once they're on, you can really put some strain on them. I've had them on all kinds of old pulley's and gears and locked them up and hammered on them with a impact while heating the gear with a torch (the threads won't stand up to extensive use with a impact, but they sell new threaded rods, and sometimes it has to come off, now:)).

I've been trying to justify one of these proto sets for narrow access places.

Proto also makes some bigger sets with everything, but they're like $600.

proto puller.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Prot...rd_wg=aHzpJ&psc=1&refRID=EA40F2MD1Z7W4T5BBY80

Twisted

Another vote for posi-lock. I impact the snot out of mine and have only replaced the threaded rod once in 15-20 years. I have had to weld a new nut to the end a few times because they wear out with impact use and lots of hammering.

If you can't impact it off, get it tight then beat on the end with a large hammer. Posi-locks love when violence is needed. :)

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I've had a Snap On set for close to 20 years. Other than losing or breaking the little pins that hold the jaws into the puller assembly and breaking one jaw when I used it in way discouraged by the instructions I have no complaints. It can be setup in 2 and 3 jaw and the jaws can be held tight against whatever you're pulling on. Maybe not quite as handy as posi-lock adjustment wise but they haven't failed me yet.

GaryHoff

Occupation
Heavey Equipment Mechanic
+1 for posi-lock

http://www.posilock.com/products/manual-pullers/manual-parts
Reasonable pricing, and sold on the snap-on truck supplemental catalog. A bit bulky, but that's usually not a issue, different length legs are sold for the pullers as well.

OTC makes a nice bearing splitter and H bar set too. A bit more versatile than a 3 jaw puller because you can use ready rod to expand the bearing splitter to different lengths.

DARO

Occupation
Mechanic
I have the small proto set. Iv had it ten years or more.. Works well for every thing smallish. I have a OTC bearing puller set for the rest.
Darrel

FarmWrench

Occupation
Table Potato farmer
I'll vote posilock. However somewhere I bookmarked another company that was US made, high quality and cheaper.

To be continued.....

mitch504

Sure, make me the odd man out! :p
Hey, I got one Snap-On push-puller that is great when that's what I need, and several OTCs,too, but for all-around gear pullers you can't beat the posi-locks.

But, really none of us need anybody to make us odd! :D