• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Good healthy carnage

Truck Shop

How about this 3408 in a Cat 769C truck a few thousand hours after dealer did major overhaul:
View attachment 289770

Forget the hours but they covered it! Seem to recall they put it to problem of defective rod bearings? Sad thing is driver said he heard some odd noise and decided best thing was to drive it probably half a mile back to the shop. He almost made it too! But one wrist pin was about 100 feet behind truck when he did stop!
Oh that's nice-great photo! I remember a 1693-unbolted the head and block fell away in two pieces.
Or the 855 I could see through the block to right steer tire.:)

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Where does that engine normally top out at? A 3406 is about the biggest engine in my world . . .
RPM at full power is 1750, that can go up to 1950 in retard mode.
There used to be a document from the 3500 Engine Division stating what had to be done to an engine that had been subject to overspeeding. Depending on the max RPM registered it was anything from a valve/injector set to a complete rebuild.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Have to look at the other end of the rod for this failure. Again a 3516 with the block split from top to bottom (it even snapped the camshaft on that side) when a rod decided to say hello through the side of the block.

1689067675764.png

The early versions of the 3516HD engine had 2-piece pistons with a steel crown supported by an aluminium skirt. In this incident one of the bronze bushes in the crown walked sideways and started to rub on the inside of the skirt. Eventually it rubbed so far that the skirt failed and the unsupported piston crown literally exploded. At that point the rod poked out of the side of the block. We never did find the piston pin, it probably landed on the haul road somewhere.

EDIT: Some time later Cat switched to a one-piece piston. We all breathed a sigh of relief. Apparently the interference fit of the bronze bushes in the piston crown "ears" were the highest-rated fit available in the table of "limits & fits" - H7/S6 IIRC.

1689067915507.png

1689070198093.png

Last edited:

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Well, yeah

I'm betting there was an automatic downshift to 1st due to a computer glitch while traveling at top speed while loaded...
It wouldn't be the first one that has done this. I've seen a 773 do the same while travelling down hill loaded. As usual blame the operator until they found the selector in 4th and the retarder on. Luckily an inframe rebuild was all that was required.

Truck Shop

Without destruction caused by operator error, poor design, poor assembly or age.
Everyone on here and else where would be setting around like the Maytag repairman.
So when you get up each morning {rub your hands together like a fly} drink that cup
of coffee and smile to yourself knowing something has blown up trashed it's self.
It's the thing that makes your grandiose car and house payment, without it-your not
needed.