• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Got my first bulldozing job today:

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
11-B 25L18878 and under are genuine AC. Later ones had the FA badge
Hi Merv; yes we know for the purists out there what it is but to me it's like painting a car "Hugger Orange" when it was originally blue. If done tastefully, or correctly, it fits right in. I feel you only have to please the owner.

My parts tractor is a true AC machine with the only difference being two top carrier rollers instead of the single on mine, (earlier production). Everything else is a dead ringer match as far as installed options. The engine is missing and the transmission is shot with undercarriage about 40% remaining overall; but still a lot of useful parts remain. Far more wear than this tractor has. I'll blast this one clean and repaint it the same construction yellow it is. With exception of the seat cover which will have the AC emblem embroidered, Emblem.JPG into the seat back, all will look original. I've had the decals all cut by the girl that does my signage, but need to work with her further to come up with all the OEM safety, warning, and item number decals used. She does silkscreen printing also and can make anything as far as labels. I've photographed each decal on the tractor, (they are all still there) with most having the "Allis-Chalmers" name on them such as these seen here:

20220415_181332.jpg20221114_131035.jpg

And the look I'm going for once complete is shown here from an original HD-11 Series B brochure given to me by one of the guys I worked with that built the finals in my tractor:

20220121_214717.jpg

Last edited:

skyking1

If you are getting in good graces with these fellows and the excavator end of things drags on too much, tell them to rent a big machine for you to operate. Pure win. :)

1693TA

Occupation
I really would like to have an excavator but the limited usage it would see makes it prohibitive. I have two buddies that will loan me their medium machines if ever needed but as mentioned earlier, I have absolutely no experience in one other than loading, or unloading onto a trailer for transport. If the future warrants I'll acquire a machine but for now having a TLB, a medium dozer, along with a skid steer seems to have me covered. I feel I'm proficient with the skid steer but the others, I'm just starting out on.

This is a buddies small excavator. We put the hydraulic thumb on it two years ago and that by itself really made the machine useful. I've never ran it myself other than functionally checking it out. I can borrow this at any time:

20230603_094856.jpg20230603_094921.jpg20230603_094905.jpg

Another buddy has a Caterpillar 312 series machine from the early 90's. He is a septic installer and this one is right at the limit of needing a permit to move but doesn't. It goes with him on a tilt tag trailer.

skyking1

yeah that is the beauty of the 12 tonners.
Load and go, day or night. 102"
Some guys would whittle down the tracks on 160's to 102"
PXL-20210528-222349975.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
Just got some photos of the trailer I've been conversing about. Looks like it is going to need brakes and possibly drums. I don't know if this one is on Dayton, Budd, or Unimount wheels as I've looked at so many over the months. This one has stainless panels down the sides to hide dents I'm sure but I'm told the steel liner is in good condition. Looking at the photos, it appears the inner rims on the rear axle have been ran with flat tires at some point. The bead sealing area looks deformed to me.

Seller says ground to top of wood sides is 10' so assuming 9' with the boards removed my 1845C would struggle loading I think. 41" 5th wheel plate from ground he states. Tires are usable but probably short term.

Here are some photos. Feel free to comment:

IMG_0574.jpgIMG_0575.jpgIMG_0576.jpgIMG_0579.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
Seller writes back 11RX22.5 tires on Dayton hubs. I have plenty of good spares in the size and style but I'll have to check drum numbers for availability. Seller cannot locate numbers. 16" brakes but I've not the experience to ascertain type or style from visual cues.

skyking1

That's a rock setup, the tailgate would indeed suck. I can't tell if the back is sloped a bit or not, if so you'd have to fab up some for that too.
IMO you are doing cart before horse. You have nothing to properly load it with.

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
When you say "sloped" do you mean the end gate being perpendicular to the ground, or "sloped" more forward at the top than bottom? It surely looks sloped to me and that would be a bit more difficult to convert to a barn door type gate.

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I hate it when people want to burn the houses down and then have me clean up the mess. All the fire does is make a mess out of everything, and makes the excavator smell like structure fire for a week afterward. As heavy as the boxes get on a burn job I don't think much is really saved on the demo.

1693TA

Occupation
That's a rock setup, the tailgate would indeed suck. I can't tell if the back is sloped a bit or not, if so you'd have to fab up some for that too.
IMO you are doing cart before horse. You have nothing to properly load it with.
I have actually thought about that horse and cart thing. It is kind of the purpose of the ditch being dug to get the backhoe loader bucket something to bear against when pushing into the broken block and cement piile. Once in the bucket the back curl should keep it there to load into the trailer. I have a grapple on the skid steer bucket but I don't think I can use it on this trailer:

20230328_162916.jpg20230328_162918.jpg20230328_163239.jpg

1693TA

Occupation
I hate it when people want to burn the houses down and then have me clean up the mess. All the fire does is make a mess out of everything, and makes the excavator smell like structure fire for a week afterward. As heavy as the boxes get on a burn job I don't think much is really saved on the demo.
I won't disagree at all as the place does smell like the remnants of a fire. However this is a learning experience with/for me as I've never done anything to this magnitude in the past. I took down several outbuildings when building my shop but a lot of those were wood and farm related. A steel cable from my winch tractor around the perimeter made short work of it. I did burn for weeks in a ditch I'd dug out back also. Much of the concrete pile in the prior post is breakout from foundations and walkways broken out many years ago at my shop. As I gather more equipment I will continue to clean up and look for other work.

I should also say that none of my equipment has any liens or encumbrances upon it. I own it lock, stock, and barrel so keep with older stuff and upgrade as time and $$$ permits. I like it this way as don't lose any sleep if don't have work for the day.

Last edited:

skyking1

When you say "sloped" do you mean the end gate being perpendicular to the ground, or "sloped" more forward at the top than bottom? It surely looks sloped to me and that would be a bit more difficult to convert to a barn door type gate.
yep you need to put a little wedge at the top to get a barn door on it.
Here is what I have to say on that trailer and your setup:
You have a tractor for a trailer.
You have limited loading height rigs.
Get a low trailer. They are really cheap to free out there. My truck in the picture up there is a fine example, it is low enough that I can dip out of it with the 35G mini.
You can always sideboard up.

1693TA

Occupation
My old Mack is low sided about the same as your truck and the skid steer works well with it. I've only seen a single low sided trailer in my looking and not at all settled on the one I posted. Best thing is time is on my side so I can look for a while longer. I can still use my old Mack but it is small capacity and very slow to drive.

Think I'm going to follow the advice and get a better fitting trailer as that is less money outlay than more equipment.

Thanks,

skyking1

yeah that was the wow. I was looking near the OP when I found that gem. They were really proud of the condition of the tires with no pictures.
If I were getting an end dump I like the straight razor edges for loading brush on. A light run down the edge with the back of the bucket slices off any overhanging limbs.

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
It's a 56 yr old dump trailer and beat up to h***, and they have the hide to ask $9,800 for it??

In my neck of the woods, only scrap dealers would fight over that for maybe $1,000, so they could cut it all up quick smart, and send it on the boat to China.

I must say I'm surprised you burn old buildings down. Wouldn't be allowed here, too much air pollution and a potential danger of any asbestos fibres from building materials, being spread.

We pull out the asbestos, send it to a dedicated asbestos landfill - pull out anything else salvageable (they used good timber in the old days, and people pay good money for recycled timber today - especially nice wide floorboards, and big thickness sections) - the plumbing and wiring is ripped out and recycled (copper is in major demand, and even steel pipes get sold for scrap).

The building is then pulled down with an excavator, and bricks and concrete get trucked off for recycling as well.
The least amount you can send to landfill, the better, as landfill costs just simply keep getting higher every year.

One local scrap dealer is even looking at a way to reuse the PVC insulation stripped off copper cable, they're talking about using the PVC chips for filter media for water filtering.