• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

GPS TRACKING DEVICE

Bill Smith

Occupation
Rental House Owner
Were can one buy a gps tracking device that can be installed on our rental equipment . I don" want a system that you have to pay a fee . Is there one available you can track yourself

Axle

Occupation
electronics tech
If you want live tracking I think you will be stuck with a fee service as they use the cell phone system to communicate back to the tracking service. If you just want to see where your equipment went after the fact, you can look for one of those 'track your teen' type devices that just gather data you pull off via the usb port.

At work they use geotab to give you yet another system to look at.

DIYDAVE

I have lojack on the most expensive piece I own, they don't charge a fee, but it was like $700, tor all the gizmos. I bet there is a cheaper alternative, like the track your teen thingie, mentioned above...

Jakebreak

Occupation
operator/pipelayer/mechanic
We use a device called azuga for all our trucks and equipment I'm sure there is a fee I think they were cheaper and have more stuff that comes with there unit for instance on our trucks it tells us when it's do for service if there is a check engine light on how fast the truck accelerates and brakes also we have it set up to where if the truck goes over 80 it sends an alert to the bosses for the equipment it tracks how long it sat and idled along with when it's do for service where it's at and you can set it up to send an alert if the machine gets started and used after hours the box is small and you just hard wire a obd2 port to the key switch for power and the trucks just get plugged into the obd2 port

lantraxco

Your tax dollars pay for the GPS signals but they're one way, satellites to earth and your GPS unit of whatever kind knows exactly where it's at. If you want to know where it is at any given moment however, it has to transmit on some frequency and somebody is going to charge you to receive that transmission and forward the information to you. The cheapest thing going is a small transmitter that works by pinging cell phones next step up talks to the cell towers and triangulation helps out.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
Whatever you get, try to stay away from"universal units"
I had a customer who insisted on them. It had all the bells and whistles, crank inhibit, hour counter , location, all that stuff. It wasn't factory. Caused static on the CAN or backbones as they are now known. All kinds of emissions problems, performance issues etc. No real fault. Remove the overlay, problem solved. Several machines, not just one.
Just food for thought. If it wasn't built "for " your machine by the people who built your machine, I'd avoid it like the plague.

bentel

I know it has been a while since this original post, but I thought this might help someone.

The company https://www.cleargps.com was designed by equipment owners to be affordable. Although there is a small monthly fee, I think it is very affordable for what you get. You can track your equipment, setup geofences, get alerts, and even schedule maintenance based off run-time.

I highly recommend them but full disclosure, I do work for them.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums, bentel.

The forum rules permit vendors one introductory post to present themselves and their products to the membership. Your post above post meets that rule.

Thanks also, for being upfront about working for them. Lots of guys seem to conveniently forget to mention that kind of detail.