• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grade Beam/Lane Plane for Hi-Lift

dirthog28

There was a guy from Aus. that posted pics of landplane with brackets that could be clamped down with a 4n1 bucket to fine grade or brush areas down. I searched around on here and can't find them, does anybody know where those pics are or anybody have any thing else like this that they use. He had it on a 943 or 953 if I remember its been a couple years.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . I made one for a fella couple of years back, he used it on an old Ford back-hoe with a 4in1.

Not very fancy, made out of 2x2x5/16 wall box, seven foot something wide to fit between the coamings of his truck, around four/five foot deep. It had two dividers cross wise on the same plane as the perimeter (they did the grading) and there were four pieces running four and aft to which the "get hold of me" lugs were attached.

These things are as common as and I'm sure some one will post a picture.

Cheers.

Dickjr.

Spectra makes a reciever , CR600 , which mounts to a grade rod , but that base comes off and can be changed to a magnetic base. The magnet is strong enough you can't throw it off. The key , it has a wide pick up on it. Bought one last fall and have used it 4 to 5 times and for pads , septics or anything level it is a good device. It is not as precise as machine controll but on a 100'x60' pad I was out + or - 3" and never got off the tractor. Around here that's suitable for the builder's I work for.

AusDave

Occupation
Self employed
There was a guy from Aus. that posted pics of landplane with brackets that could be clamped down with a 4n1 bucket to fine grade or brush areas down. I searched around on here and can't find them, does anybody know where those pics are or anybody have any thing else like this that they use. He had it on a 943 or 953 if I remember its been a couple years.

I Think you mean this bit of kit called a spreader bar or smudger. It's usually used with a skidsteer, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZG-DLHHtxo for an example.

It's usually made with grab points so it can be picked up with the 4 in 1 bucket quickly without getting out of the seat. One of the reasons it is commonly used is because even an operator with basic skills can quickly achieve a good result. It's also efficient because it can be used both forward and backwards and in reverse it leaves a track/wheel free finish.

If you're handy with a welder you could quickly knock one up yourself very inexpensively.

AusDave

dirthog28

I Think you mean this bit of kit called a spreader bar or smudger

Thats what I"m talking about, one of you guys from Australia had pics of it, it was probably 4'x15' and would slide between his tracks for transport. I was trying to find pic's of it again.

Dickjr.

I see now what your talking about . I plan to make one now this spring for my backhoe with 4n1. I would think it would work well with a backhoe as well. I would think you could level as well with out one of these but it seems like it would take 3 times as long by the time you blend everything in. Has anyone ever seen one on a backhoe and did it work well?

Dickjr.

Yo Scrub I noticed your #2 but I thought you were talking about a bracket to mount a laser reciever. How well do these work on a backhoe?

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . Dickjr Seems to work pretty good finishing top soil on house blocks. When the material is a little on the dry side it dresses off real nice . . . he also uses it on roads and is talking about making up a special with a curve to fit the crown.

The feller seems real happy with it. The beauty of these jiggers is anyone can run them, they cost very little and can even be made from scrap.

Cheers.