• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grade stations

Copenhagen

I am bidding on a roadway project and everything on the plans is shown as a station number.

It starts at 0+00.00 and ends at 7+70.36.

I have never used station numbers before and I assume that it is showing distance. That this road is 770.36 ft long. Is that correct?

Thanks

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Yes you are correct on your numbers the first number is your so 110 feet is 1+10 nother 10 feet is 1+20 and so on. Pretty easy really but have to learn somewhere.
Trbo

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
O+00 will be the south or the east end. The numbers go up going north or west.

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
O+00 will be the south or the east end. The numbers go up going north or west.

Well there, I learned somthing myself, didn't know(or never paid attention) that they were directed from a direction(N,S,E,W). I will have to look at some of my old plans and see if thats how they actually did it.
Trbo

72V

Occupation
grader, cat, excavator hack
Just think of the plus sign as a decimal place for hundreds of feet.

{"O+00 will be the south or the east end. The numbers go up going north or west."}

That's a new one on me too. Plans I've worked off of typically begin stationing where a new road comes off an existing road, or at one end of a project area on an existing road. Surveying coordinates (Northing and Easting) increase as you go north or east, and are negative as you go south or west.

Copenhagen

On my plans, 0+00 starts where the drive comes off the main road, then the road goes north then east then south then west. (It is climbing at 13% around a large hill on top of a mountain) The stations end at 7+70.36.

ForsytheBros.

NOT trying to muddy the waters and confuse here, but beware on projects of station equations. Most simple projects don't tend to have this issue, but I've had some experiences on larger jobs where an equation exists in the stationing, eg

0+00 begin alignment

station equation 1+00 back=2+00 fwd

7+00 end alignment

total alignment length is not 700', but rather 600'

Doesn't sound like an issue on your job but something to keep in mind on future encounters....

Dozer575

Banned
Occupation
Machinist and occasional pt Dozer oper
Forsyth brings up a good point. Are your plans to scale? Just measure it off the plans.

ForsytheBros.

It's been implied in some of the reply posts already, but i'd like to emphasize that the stationing is based on horizontal distance based on the state plane or surface adjusted coordinates, not necessarily "tapes held on the ground"

On a 700' driveway (0+00 to 7+00 with no eqns.) at a pure 13% tangent grade, you might end up with a length of driveway actually constructed of 705' or so. Not a big deal here obviously, but might make an estimating difference over a long run through steep terrain.....

sorry to digress and i apologize if that's already obvious to all