• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grader Course.

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Gents:)

I promissed G4M to post som pics, and here they are.;)
Not the most spectacular ones, but...

This was a 1,5 week long course for 5 of our professional soldiers and one sivilian employee.(I had them for two weeks, but we spent som days with other types of fun)
2 of our soldiers has a lisence from earlier, so they didn't need as many hours as the rest.
We got 4 graders for the students.(Volvo G976)

The course consisted of security regulations, maintenance and practical use.
The intention is to give the students 40 hours of practical use, so they can obtain the official lisence.
And to give them the mandatory military education on the spesific type of material. Everybody must have spesific training on materiall before use to prevent accidents.:cool:

My goal was to give all so much practial use, that they can operate it without destroying something/ doing something stupid.
Hours in the seat to learn the grader and the levers was the most important, road maintenance and then fill layout third.
Prosedures that are rare over here, was not coverd.:cool:

Of course the education was held at one of the worst time of year.:mad:
Not enough snow for wintermaintenance, and to much frost for gravel road maintenance.
Two graders where most of the time inside our training field. And it looked like hell after the last users...Typical...

And then some pics:
One day first week, was spent on a Volvo demo.(not part of the course)
Still some had their ass in the G976 demo machine.
Black trucks are Volvo 700hp, 50t total weight.:D

Attachments

• DSCF2756.jpg
    DSCF2756.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 768
  • DSCF2757.jpg
    DSCF2757.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 760
  • DSCF2758.jpg
    DSCF2758.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 765
  • DSCF2759.jpg
    DSCF2759.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 759
  • DSCF2760.jpg
    DSCF2760.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 753

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
More pics.:)
From our training area, guys are working on levelling it.
Battle tank ditches stops tanks...and graders..

Attachments

• DSCF2763.jpg
    DSCF2763.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 765
  • DSCF2762.jpg
    DSCF2762.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 768
  • DSCF2761.jpg
    DSCF2761.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 760
  • DSCF2764.jpg
    DSCF2764.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 774
  • DSCF2765.jpg
    DSCF2765.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Last ones.:)

We lined up and drove out to a spot on a wide gravel road, with some wear tracks and ice.
4 graders after each other, made a good job on that road.
Last one hade serrated edges, so the gravel stayed in the road and the ice/snow was thrown in the ditch.
No pics though.

Attachments

• DSCF2766.jpg
    DSCF2766.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 757
  • DSCF2767.jpg
    DSCF2767.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 755
  • DSCF2768.jpg
    DSCF2768.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 787
  • DSCF2769.jpg
    DSCF2769.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 746

Grader4me

Thanks for sharing MKTEF! Looks like you guys was having fun there. Yes, hard time of year for a grader course. Do you teach the new operators "ditching" as part of your course? Maybe in your line of work with the graders there is no requirement for it?
Great pictures...
When we have a grader course its a week long event. Classroom (first day) then the rest of the week playing in the dirt. We cover ditching, grading, shaping the road, elevations, leveling gravel etc..

We just take a section of road and rebuild it. Works great for the Supervisor in the training area as he gets a road rebuilt.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
That looks like fun! :drinkup

What's the little white thingy attached to the rear of one of the green graders?

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
G4M; you are right its a windrow eliminator.
In fact it lays the gravel back on the road, so you only have to do one pass.
It is a realy nice thing, especialy when u take the masses up of the ditch and into the road.
The spreader got serrated blades, so the grass, beercans, rocks and roots goes back in the ditch while the gravel is left on the road.

I learn them a bit of ditching, so much they understand that the gravel over time goes into the ditch.
And that it needs to bee graded up and onto the road after a while.
At the course i put them to "build" a road, by making the ditches and using the masses in the middle.(on the training area)

I tried to get some inputs on where the administration needed grading done, but no response.
I am a bit angry on that, they pay a local contractor huge amounts of money and our military graders is parked in the garage. (A grader over here is apr 250-300$ pr hour.)
Normaly i only get a couple of requests pr year.
So i just dont care, take the grader and use it where i find it suitable.