• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grader operators needed

Grader4me

This one is hard to resist :Banghead I was looking at this posting a couple of weeks ago and the pay was $40.07 per hour. Its gone up, plus they added "transportation may be provided"

Exp'd Finish Grader Operators req'd immediately for site grading projects in Ft. McMurray, AB, area. Transportation may be provided. $45.15/hr. including benefits.

On edit... I took out the companies name, phone number & fax, as I'm not sure Steve and the Mods would want me advertising jobs with all the contact numbers etc on here.

Last edited:

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Is that a full time job thou or do they only need a grader operator part time.

Myself I don't think the Fort McMurray economy is going to keep going at the fast pace it is traveling at.

Grader4me

I'm not really sure if it is full time or not. Let's see...Hummm..if they give me a house, pay me that wage (full time all year long) pay to move me out. Oh! and 4 weeks paided vacation, plus health and dental...fully paid by the company of course. Topped off with a company truck(that I can use on the weekends to) then yeah I would consider it. :D

bobcatuser

Occupation
Excavation Contractor
I would think you would be working 20 to 30 Hrs overtime per week with a job like that in Ft.Mc Murray. At $45 an hour they will be having a hard time getting or keeping an experienced grader operator.

I was talking to a guy from Vancouver Island who’s running an excavator for a pipeline job, he’s making $55 Hr with all the overtime he wants.

My brother in-law is an accountant and he is working in Ft.Mc Murray/Edmonton on contract. Most of the projects in Northern Alberta are running cost plus because they can’t find contractors to bid the jobs.

Myself I don't think the Fort McMurray economy is going to keep going at the fast pace it is traveling at.

Ft.Mc Murray is defiantly a boom town right now with these Mega projects. There are some excellent job opportunities making big money if, you are able and willing to put in long hours.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
I have been hearing its starting to slow down with the oil projects.

The biggest problem with Fort Mac from the people I got to talk to who are from that area and on vacation here say there is very little places to stay in Fort Mac.

They also said the drug use and gambling problems are another problem.

Wolf

Ft. Mac

What kind of drug stuff is going on up in Ft. McMurray? Drinking too? Is it among the operators or other people in the town? That is pretty interesting.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
These guys are making such good money and nothing to do with it so they sit in the bar spend lots of money on booze and gambling. From what I was told some of these guys spend a paycheck in one night on gambling.

The drugs are white sugar and other hard stuff. Many of these guys go to Fort Mac never touched drugs and end up as a drug addict and with less money than they had before they went to Fort Mac.

A guy I grew up with lives in Fort Mac he moved there before the boom and he and his familly have told me the bad things that happens there. He also said how Fort Mac has changed for the worse.

If you want to make money in Fort Mac is stay out of the bars and put the money in the bank.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I have been hearing its starting to slow down with the oil projects.

The biggest problem with Fort Mac from the people I got to talk to who are from that area and on vacation here say there is very little places to stay in Fort Mac.

They also said the drug use and gambling problems are another problem.

These guys are making such good money and nothing to do with it so they sit in the bar spend lots of money on booze and gambling. From what I was told some of these guys spend a paycheck in one night on gambling.

A guy I grew up with lives in Fort Mac he moved there before the boom and he and his familly have told me the bad things that happens there. He also said how Fort Mac has changed for the worse.

Hmmm......whats that word I'm looking for.....RUMORS, yeah thats it. :rolleyes:

You seem to be getting back on that "the world is going to end" thing again. Please stick to the topic at hand.

Grader4me

I would think you would be working 20 to 30 Hrs overtime per week with a job like that in Ft.Mc Murray. At $45 an hour they will be having a hard time getting or keeping an experienced grader operator.

I was talking to a guy from Vancouver Island who’s running an excavator for a pipeline job, he’s making $55 Hr with all the overtime he wants.

My brother in-law is an accountant and he is working in Ft.Mc Murray/Edmonton on contract. Most of the projects in Northern Alberta are running cost plus because they can’t find contractors to bid the jobs.

Ft.Mc Murray is defiantly a boom town right now with these Mega projects. There are some excellent job opportunities making big money if, you are able and willing to put in long hours.

Wow! I thought that $45 per hour was big money. I must be looking on the wrong sites for operator jobs, as this one is the highest pay that I found :beatsme

Your right, if you want to work long hours and stay in a camp, money can be made. At my age that wouldn't be for me as most likely I would burn out quite quickly.

Having said that I would take a job out there if it met my criteria. I wouldn't mind a reasonable amount of overtime as that would be expected. I would buy/rent a house as my family would come with me. Sometimes change is good. A person is only here for a short while so why not take a few chances? Maybe I'll talk myself into it some day :beatsme (better not wait to long though...the biological clock is ticking....)

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
Been thinking about wanting to try out west for 6 months to a year work my tail off and save for some land or possibly a house depending on the money.Know a truck driver driving a tandem outside of FT Mac he expects to work 4 more years if possible up there and retire and money to spare not bad for a man who's turning 43.

As for drugs thats no rumor that place wrecks people who have no self control,have 2 friends who've returned from there and are serious meth heads who make it themselves from drain-o and other household chemicals and one has started stealing to continue their habbits.Natives are just as bad as the drugs sadly

If your there to work,keep clean and stay to yourself its a great experience just 75% don't follow those guidelines.

surfer-joe

Booms like this all seem the same. When Hoover Dam was built the booze and ladies weren't far behind, same for the early railroads and the St. Laurence Seaway. When I did the oil shale projects in western Colorado in the early 80's, booze, drugs, and ladies were all on site ready for business. Denver during the great housing boom in the early seventies was the same. The Alaska Pipeline showered people with money, with few places to spend it.

Anytime there is big money, illicit entertainment is quick to be there to share in the proceeds. Woe be to those that don't save or quickly invest most of it.

The proliferation of jobs is great though. Lots of good work and about all you can stand of it. Good place for young people to quickly gain experience with employers so strapped for labor that they overlook many things that would get you quickly fired in more settled areas. Work moves so fast that some transgressions are simply forgotten in the rush to move on with the job.

Cam7775

Occupation
Gravel road tech
FT Mac

Here's the skinny....I lived there from 99 to 06.

The money is great, there is a housing shortage so rent is high. The drug problem or gambling is just like any other city and if you stay away from those few spots in town you will find it is beautiful, there are many outdoor activities . that being said some of the specialized shopping is limited.....
food is more and eating out is also more pricey. the traffic is a problem too as the planning department had no idea how fast the city would grow. don't buy in the down town core as there a issues with flooding when the ice breaks on both river in the spring. There is only one road going south and it gets busier ever day. west jet and air canada fly daily to ft Mac otherwise it is a 400km plus drive to the next city of edmonton. i enjoyed my time there but you have to be willing to get out sie

as for the work......if you are working out of town (plant sites ) you can expect a 12 hour shift plus 2 to 3 hours of travel a day.....depending on which plant site and the traffic on any given day......... The union compaies work year round ( as do the plants) but some of the smaller contracters shut down during certain times of the year.

hope that helps

Grader4me

Thanks for the information Camm7775. I get the fever once in awhile to head out there. Sometimes though the grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence. I have terrible urges just to get on one of those big old Cat graders and just give er. Ah well..I'll just dream on....:D

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Thanks for the information Camm7775. I get the fever once in awhile to head out there. Sometimes though the grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence. I have terrible urges just to get on one of those big old Cat graders and just give er. Ah well..I'll just dream on....:D

Sounds like your gunna have to dust off a few of those old frocks in your wardrobe and head on out.:rolleyes:

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Sounds like your gunna have to dust off a few of those old frocks in your wardrobe and head on out.:rolleyes:

We don't want to contribute to the "ill-fatedness" of that area now, Squizz...Better leave the frocks in the closet, Grader4me.:D

I wish I didn't hear about this situation now. I'm one of those "mavericks" that never minded taking a chance as long as the payoff was sufficient.
As far as the drugs, women and booze is concerned, beer, the 'ol lady, & TV has taken it's place in my life several years ago...no danger here.:drinkup :naughty :dizzy

Grader4me

:eek: I really thought that you was over this...I had such high hopes :cussing :pointhead :p

As far as the drugs, women and booze is concerned, beer, the 'ol lady, & TV has taken it's place in my life several years ago...no danger here.

I'm with you on that one. :)

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
As I have been told by the residents and people that have worked in Fort Mac is if you can stay out of the bars your fine. In the winter time you have to dress in layers. It gets cold enough to get frosbite in seconds.

There are allot of the jobs that are camp jobs where you live and work on one site.

A friend of my brother drives truck in Alberta he makes about 7 grand a month its long hours thou. If he could find a job back in B.C. that paid as good he would be back in B.C. . The working conditions in Alberta is horrible in the summer you deal with black flys the size of birds. The weather isn't the greatest either its miserable winters with hot dry summers.

Grader4me

in the summer you deal with black flys the size of birds. The weather isn't the greatest either its miserable winters with hot dry summers.

Reminds me of a story. When I was in Calgary last summer, one day I got on one of those above ground trains and went to the stampede. The train was packed and I was sitting with a group of elderly ladies. They asked me where I was from, and I told them New Brunswick. One lady had a strong english accent and she said "I heard the mosquitoes where bloody terrible down there" I replied "yes maam they are about the size of humming birds and they have fangs, and certain times of the year we have to stay indoors" They all looked at me wide eyed and shook their heads. Another lady spoke up and said "I wouldn't blame you for coming out here then"

I don't think that I would be a good public relations person for my province :D

We have some hot days here in the summer as well but very humid. Hard on people with breathing problems etc.

Hows that for highjacking my own thread? :pointhead

LowBoy

Occupation
Reminds me of a story. When I was in Calgary last summer, one day I got on one of those above ground trains and went to the stampede. The train was packed and I was sitting with a group of elderly ladies. They asked me where I was from, and I told them New Brunswick. One lady had a strong english accent and she said "I heard the mosquitoes where bloody terrible down there" I replied "yes maam they are about the size of humming birds and they have fangs, and certain times of the year we have to stay indoors" They all looked at me wide eyed and shook their heads. Another lady spoke up and said "I wouldn't blame you for coming out here then"

I don't think that I would be a good public relations person for my province :D

We have some hot days here in the summer as well but very humid. Hard on people with breathing problems etc.

Hows that for highjacking my own thread? :pointhead

I suddenly don't feel alone.:lmao

LowBoy

Occupation
Been thinking about wanting to try out west for 6 months to a year work my tail off and save for some land or possibly a house depending on the money.
As for drugs thats no rumor that place wrecks people who have no self control,have 2 friends who've returned from there and are serious meth heads who make it themselves from drain-o and other household chemicals and one has started stealing to continue their habbits.Natives are just as bad as the drugs sadly

I'd imagine if someone was to take and injest these homemade recipies, he's not going to want to wander too far away from the OUTHOUSE, eh?:beatsme