• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

grass mowing

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
It looks like you live in a nice spot, Pete. The 'roos are obviously quite tame. The 'roos all but dissappeared from here when the country was cleared, but over the last twenty odd years they have come back. We have a lot of scrub close to us and early morning or late evening they come out to feed in groups of anything from two to a dozen or more. I quite like a few 'roos around. After a day of 42C and strong northerly winds here, I am wondering if those photos are recent, or were they taken in winter. Do you have much problem with bushfires there?

Rn'R.

HeyUvaVT

those critters are fascinating to me...how high/far do they jump? here in the states we have white tail deere EVERYWHERE..they can really jump too (i have seen one jump an 8 foot fence along the road with no run up) I bet them roo's can really fly

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
It's funny you mention that HeyUvaVT, I was thinking the same thing as I looked at these pictures. I'm looking out the window at 3 whitetail as I type and was thinking how the face of the 'roo is similar to that of the whitetail. I wonder if the species is related somehow?

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
It looks like you live in a nice spot, Pete. The 'roos are obviously quite tame. The 'roos all but dissappeared from here when the country was cleared, but over the last twenty odd years they have come back. We have a lot of scrub close to us and early morning or late evening they come out to feed in groups of anything from two to a dozen or more. I quite like a few 'roos around. After a day of 42C and strong northerly winds here, I am wondering if those photos are recent, or were they taken in winter. Do you have much problem with bushfires there?

Rn'R.
we are only 75 klms from sydney however we live at the foot of the blue mountains and there are tens of thousands of acres of national park around us, it is a great place to live, relatively close to where the work is and in the bush, we are on 46 acres at the end of a dead end street. we moved here a bit over 2 years ago and the roos were fairly nervous then, over that time they are getting more used to us and are a lot tamer, like you i enjoy them, i never fail to get a kick out of getting up in the morning and seeing them grazing around the house and they bring a bit of peace and serenity getting home after a long day and seeing them, some times there are none and other times there may be up to 20, i took those pics a few days ago, i came home in the middle of the day to pick up an excavator and we had some rain the night before, normally they feed morning and evening however when we have rain they seem to feed all day, im guessing it has something to do with the moisture level of the grass.
as for bushfires there were severe fires in this area about 7 or 8 years ago, before we moved here, there is bush all around us so our area is prone to fires, we are probably overdue for a fire, we have had some high temps the last few days, in the high 30's and 40's, keeping our fingers crossed.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
those critters are fascinating to me...how high/far do they jump? here in the states we have white tail deere EVERYWHERE..they can really jump too (i have seen one jump an 8 foot fence along the road with no run up) I bet them roo's can really fly

they can hop along fairly quickly, not sure how fast, at a guess i wouls say 20 miles per hour, as for height you dont really see them jumping over objects however i would think they could jump a 4 foot fence.

Iron Horse

Hello Pete , the two big guy's in your pics are Black Wallaroos , they usually hang out in the rock escarpments . We have Eastern Grey Kangaroos , Pretty Face Wallabies and Red Neck Wallabies as is this one who comes in demanding some bread in the morning . The Kangaroos are smart , when they are chased by a dog , they go sit in a dam . When the dog gets into the water the Roo holds the dog under until it is dead .

This one got startled by my little dog the other day , she took off past the shed just as i walked out . She got another fright when she saw me and jumped in the air . She stuffed the landing up and landed on her stomach , i stepped the distance from were she took off to the marks were she landed as it amased me , 24.5 feet .

Attachments

• Josey 005.jpg
    Josey 005.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 528
Last edited:

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
gidday reg, i dont know the difference between roos, wallabies, walleroos so i call them all kangaroos, i dont have any eating bread like that yet, i often throw some bread out near the house of an evening and it has gone in the morning, i am hoping i can eventually get them to eat the bread while im there. i did not think they could jump 24 ft, they are a unique animal.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
bushfire update

Rn'R.

2 fires today, one just north of sydney, was threatening some factories
however i think it is now under control, another about 10 kilometres from home, started about 2 this arvo fanned by a light nwesterly, about 5pm a strong southerly came through, the area is mostly made up of houses on 5 acres, 15 houses were under threat, 3 choppers dropping water, 100 firefighters on the ground with another 50 on the way,on the 6 oclock news they said some cars were destroyed and some sheds, no houses burnt yet, wind has dropped now so should be ok.

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
however i think it is now under control, another about 10 kilometres from home, started about 2 this arvo fanned by a light nwesterly, about 5pm a strong southerly came through, the area is mostly made up of houses on 5 acres, 15 houses were under threat, 3 choppers dropping water, 100 firefighters on the ground with another 50 on the way,on the 6 oclock news they said some cars were destroyed and some sheds, no houses burnt yet, wind has dropped now so should be ok.

I have just been reading about them on the net, Pete. I hope you are safe there. You must be getting the heat and winds that we had on Tuesday. There was a bad fire at Port Lincoln on the Eyre Peninsula, that destroyed three houses and two tuna fish factories. It's that time of the year again.
Keep us posted.

Rn'R.

australian pete

Occupation
clearing contractor.
I have just been reading about them on the net, Pete. I hope you are safe there. You must be getting the heat and winds that we had on Tuesday. There was a bad fire at Port Lincoln on the Eyre Peninsula, that destroyed three houses and two tuna fish factories. It's that time of the year again.
Keep us posted.

Rn'R.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/fire-bears-down-on-homes/2009/01/15/1231608856664.html

after the southerly died down the temp went way down which would have helped, half an hour ago it rained for 10 minutes so i would think it would definately be under control, lucky where the fire was is not real heavily timbered, had 3 really hot days in a row, today was over 40 degrees out our way,i saw those fires at port lincoln on the news, yes, it is that time of year again, when it;s that dry you only need a small spark in the wrong place, the fire near here today would definately have been started by a person,maybe accidentally, maybe not.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver

Heading to bust the old ton again tomorrow in the Wild West. Just waiting for the Richard Craniums to light the place up....and means I have to relinquish me old shorts for the orange overalls and put the tank on the truck. Can't they bring back public floggings for arson??. Least the Roos know how to clear out when the bush goes up. Its the other animals that I feel sorry for. Two years ago in the fires I had one of the firies go crook at me because he went to jump into my truck and there was two echidnas I'd saved on the floor in the front. Fair scared the daylights out of him.

Iron Horse

Take me to your feeder !!!!!:p

Attachments

• Wally and contrails pics . 012.jpg
    Wally and contrails pics . 012.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 463
  • Mountain view block 014.jpg
    Mountain view block 014.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 470

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Those are really neat pictures Iron Horse!:drinkup

surfer-joe

That's a nice looking weight room you got there Iron Horse. That roo handle that hand weight alright doing arm lifts?

Iron Horse

Ha Ha , she would have her throat torn out by Chewy (Fox Terrier) if he caught her with it .