• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Grove RT865B (PAT SYSTEM) winch won't retract...

Tyler Cohrs

Have a Grove RT865B crane that uses the PAT system in it. We are fairly new to this crane and still learning how to operate everything yet. We are in the process of putting a new cable on the Aux. winch, but now cant get it to retract the new cable in. The winch will still turn the other rotation just fine. Also noticed the main boom cylinder won't lower also (currently fully extended upright now). Any ideas what we might be doing wrong here? The screen on the PAT system is showing some errors and also alarm going off. Looking for any tips! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_9200.jpeg
    IMG_9200.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9829.jpeg
    IMG_9829.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 14

skyking1

post up the actual display errors for a good start. Have you tried bypassing the system? That does not solve the long term problem but it would get the boom stowed and also the new cable reeved.

Tyler Cohrs

post up the actual display errors for a good start. Have you tried bypassing the system? That does not solve the long term problem but it would get the boom stowed and also the new cable reeved.
Good to know. Was not aware that you could bypass the system if needed. I'll need to research how to actually do that. So far it seems that everything else functions normally. Just the Aux. line retract and boom lower not working, which they both did before we fully removed the entire cable... I did notice on one of the screens it showed a code of some sort. Not sure if it was some sort of passcode or a specific error code it was displaying. Like I said very new to this PAT system yet!

skyking1

Is anyone certified? Get the manual for the PAT and study it. It needs to be on the machine along with the operation manual.

Tyler Cohrs

Is anyone certified? Get the manual for the PAT and study it. It needs to be on the machine along with the operation manual.
No thats the biggest issue probably. We are just a large crop farm and we like to run some big equipment. Also have a Volvo EC700 Excavator

Manistar

I get you're a farm and you're probably not going to get certified but you should atleast get someone with some crane experience/knowledge that can give you a little bit of guidance and some do's and don'ts because there are a lot of don'ts and if you f around you might find out.

Now that that's out of the way, when a lmi(PAT) is in a lockout/alarm condition it typically locks out function that will decrease the cranes capacity or make the situation worse. So when its locked out you can boom up but not boom down, cable down but not cable up, retract the boom but not extend the boom. It can go into alarm for being overloaded but there are some other situations that can lock you out.

Most common other lockout situation is you're anti two block (a2b) is in alarm which is the metal weight hanging off a chain on the tip of your boom that the cable runs through. If the weight isn't hanging free it activates a switch that puts the lmi in lockout this is to prevent the headache ball from being pulled up into the boom.

With the crane on and in alarm you should be able to look at the bottom left corner of the PAT just above the bypass key. There are two white circles one has stop crossed out and the other has a hook crossed out. The stop circle lit up means you're overloaded or out of your chart and the hook circle lit up means your a2b switch is activated. Typically turning and holding the bypass key one way bypasses an overload and turning and holding the key the other way bypasses the a2b switch. There are certain times when a crane is being set up that the bypass key has to be used but being that you're still learning the crane be careful how you use it as you may actually be in a dangerous condition the PAT is trying to prevent you from doing.

The other thing I see in your picture of the crane is that you have two a2b switches. One has the chain and weight hanging on the main line but the a2b switch for the aux. line isnt hooked up and has a a2b switch bypass, which is the red hard plastic flag on the a2b switch on the end of the boom, with it installed the switch doesn't work. It's installed if you're not using the aux line. But if its removed without attaching the chain and weight the switch will be activated and it goes into lockout. I don't have that specific PAT lmi so this is just some basic stuff, maybe too basic and you know all these things but it might give you a few things to check.

Tyler Cohrs

Appreciate all the tips! The more I think about this Im leaning towards it being locked out due to the a2b switch. Makes sense because the boom is fully vertical right now. Thanks!

Tyler Cohrs

Quick update... All issues are resolved and new cable is back on the winch correctly. It was exactly what you guys recommended checking. Once I bypassed the PAT system I was able to lower the boom down a bit and then everything was back to working like normal. Thanks!

Manistar

It is possible to boom up too far where the lmi will lockout and you have to override it with the bypass key to boom back down. Looking up the chart for your crane it looks like your max boom angle is 78 degrees. But if you look in your load chart with the boom fully retracted your closest radius is 10' which it says is 70 degrees of boom angle. So if you're boomed up passed 70 degrees you're technically out of your chart and in some configurations like on your tires over the side you could potentially tip over backwards. My boom truck with a newer PAT will lock me out if I boom too high. But on my AT crane with an older PAT lmi I don't think it actually locks me out but it displays an error on the screen for too tight of radius (aka I'm boomed up too high).