• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Handling charges at Cat parts house

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
Does everyone get this charge? It pisses me off to no end. $6.75 on a $112 filter, 5-6%. I have called and talked about it a couple times.
“It just the extra cost in getting parts shipped in”
Why not just add it into the price? At least I wouldn’t see it all the time. *#^*+.

Ok, rant over. A8FE5B15-180C-4BA9-9321-9970FDEE1616.jpeg

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
I get that, too. NC Machinery charges us an extra 10% for Alaska. I can get around it with truck parts by going through a TEPS. Or, purchasing in Seattle under a cash account. Bastards

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I get that, too. NC Machinery charges us an extra 10% for Alaska. I can get around it with truck parts by going through a TEPS. Or, purchasing in Seattle under a cash account. Bastards
Ya, I get it in AK, HI and a few other places. I am in ND, 700 miles from the mothership. No bush planes required. lol

Is it a special order filter?
Nope regular stock filter, They had it on the shelf. Just a hyd filter for my 973C.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Warren started that around here maybe a year ago? Used to get parts on the shuttle from Waco, OKC or Lubbock no charge. Suddenly there’s $5, $10 or $15 fees on invoices. The truck runs daily no matter what. I manage four accounts there with my customers so I went in and raised a little fuss and I haven’t seen the charge since.

Our KW dealer used to bring me parts no charge which was great as it’s 33 miles one way from my shop to theirs. For a brief time I was getting charged like $25 for delivery. After questioning it I was told it’s a mistake it was only supposed to be a fuel surcharge of $5. I think some charge it and see how many notice and speak up. Never saw a notice about the change from either place. It just showed up.

Shimmy1

Does everyone get this charge? It pisses me off to no end. $6.75 on a $112 filter, 5-6%. I have called and talked about it a couple times.
“It just the extra cost in getting parts shipped in”
Why not just add it into the price? At least I wouldn’t see it all the time. *#^*+.

Ok, rant over. View attachment 301501

I bitched about it last spring. It's 6% I believe on all parts sold. I said the same thing, just INCREASE THE COST OF THE PARTS.

Nope, nowadays in the age of the internet, we can check prices against other dealers easily. This was an easy-peasy way for Butler to make 6% without it being obvious.

On a different note about Caterpillar. This fall, I had a pretty good rant to my parts guys in Jamestown, even though they can't do a damn thing about it except hopefully pass the word along. I'm getting really sick and tired of finding out parts are getting NLA for my Challenger tractors. I basically said to the guys I was always jealous growing up seeing the new shiny Cat equipment (that we had no chance at affording), and everyone raving about "How great Caterpillar parts support is".

Now, I can afford Cat, and they have done the same sh!t that CNH has done, quit building new parts. FML.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Meanwhile I get parts from NAPA delivered to the shop without even having to ask. I call and they bring it. I try to tell them usually I don't need it RIGHT NOW and they still bring it within an hour or two.

Used to be KW and IH would run parts up at least weekly but I am out of that game. Cat had a Tuff Shed at the local large timber operator and Deere did somewhere else, for parts drop for various customers, but they took those away. Deere long ago, Cat more recently.

skyking1

Not Cat, but Pape will charge shipping if I want it soon. They have figured out how to include it in an upcoming shipment and if I ask for the slow boat I don't pay. That is a nice option.

IceHole

When Gary was there, I had no issues with pricing.

Shimmy1

geez, i didn't realize they were cutting some of the 65-95 series tractor parts. Those would run forever. Well I suppose thats the problem.

You cannot buy new drive wheels, no parts for the tension cylinders except for seal kits. I know a guy that had to rebuild the differential, and had to get some parts from a salvage yard because there aren't new ones left. New mufflers are over $3k.

Joe H

I think you pay a lot more than we do for most things due to taxes you don't see. Tafiffs on imports that double the cost of goods before you pay the 10% you see is part of that.

Joe H

Chrisso

Occupation
Diesel Mechanic
You guys only have a GST? Nothing else?
Yes but as Joe mentioned that's all we see. It sure makes working out the cost of buying something easier.

Remembering when it arrived in the year 2000, the idea was keeping it simple. A manufacturer charges 10% tax, then is reimbursed when that material is sold to a distributor, who is reimbursed when sold to a retailer, then to the consumer, etc, etc. In theory the only person paying it is the consumer. The same way your tax probably works but the difference is it's all 10%. Government then redistributes taxes to the states accordingly.

Tarriffs... don't get me started. We used to have a car manufacturing industry :(. I'm still in denial about that one.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
You cannot buy new drive wheels, no parts for the tension cylinders except for seal kits. I know a guy that had to rebuild the differential, and had to get some parts from a salvage yard because there aren't new ones left. New mufflers are over $3k.
That’s horrible. Manufacturers talk about their ESG scores and brag about sustainability & environmental practices, while engaging in planned obsolescence.