• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Handling charges at Cat parts house

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
We have very little by way of import tariffs on items coming into Australia today. They were nearly all removed as part of the deal when GST was introduced in year 2000.

However, some items escaped, and a few odd items still incur a 5% tariff duty. GST is applied to imports.

Australia's average tariff rate is 0.71% across the board. Back in the bad old days of the 1950's and 1960's, tariffs could be as high as 90%. They were all about protecting Australian industry, manufacturing and farming. However, tariffs started to be dismantled in the mid-1970's.

A few businesses try to add handling charges here, but they are very rare. Auction houses are probably the worst for excessive charges, they even hit you with a handling charge for paying cash!

Port handling charges are pretty vicious, with charges added endlessly, giving "nickel and dime ya" a whole new meaning.
Port Security charges, container handling charges, warehousing charges, brokers fees, recording fees - it's like everyone found the blueberry pie, and wants their finger in it.

Tyler d4c

Sounds like the buying and selling killed the challengers.
Much like when some ask if they should buy a international earth moving machine.
Even the IH tractors parts are getting scarce.
I have 2 new holland ls125 skid loaders and half the parts arnt available for those.If it's a cnh brand Im avoiding it all together from here on out. Even our beloved sterling dump truck you can still get most things to keep it going.
Seems anything over 10 or so years is a losing proposition anymore.

Joe H

Ox, the only thing that's not on the port charge sheet is "Joe buys everybody lunch".

Warehouse cleaning fee, what kind of mess did they make with my box of goods & why do I have to pay to clean it up?

Joe H

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
That’s about as dumb as Tax on labor..
Anyone ever heard of something like THAT.??
Ur already getting taxed on the parts.. NOW u get taxed on the labor too.!!!
I had some work done across the boarder in NC.. and the bill wasn’t what was quoted..
I inquired WHY..& was told about the tax on labor.!!
I shoulda stayed on my side of the line..!!

Zewnten

We had an EPA fee on a drive motor diagnostic and replacement. Asked the Takuchi dealer what the f*** that was and they said it was having to clean up the oil spilt. I told them they shouldn’t have made a mess.