• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

hangar collapse

Oxbow

I know nothing of vertical construction, but I was wondering if they poured the J bolts in and were intending to drill and epoxy the remaining bolts after all was in place.

Zewnten

Had an hanger being built at the municipal airport, stick frame. They starred sheathing the building, got the one corner done towards the prevailing winds but the next day the winds came from the other direction and ripped the whole thing down like a kid squashing a popsicle stick house.

Natman

Big D has been doing a job at the local university here, and today on the way out of a hardware store as I was leaving the parking lot, I saw one of their trucks, and a guy walking toward it. Having worked for them myself last year (at least they were the general on the charter school project, I worked for the framing contractor) I was going to ask him about the span, just that, nothing more. But it was some other guy so I just drove off.

skyking1

Why would you spend the money for weldable rebar? Then how do you segregate it?
It wasn't welded, a bunch of hoops and vertical bars, and the J bolts were hooked under that bar.
They had not set the bolts on this outside column yet. They missed some bar and had to drill and epoxy a couple more hoops at each footing. The bolts were turned out and under the bar seen here. Sorry I don't have a better picture.
Screenshot 2024-02-05 11.51.46 PM.png
It was incidental at the edge of another picture.

terex herder

I was responding to Digger's comment on welding rebar.

My last two buildings had drilled in anchors. The drilled in anchors are always in the right spot, unless you hit rebar drilling them in. But you have nothing to anchor the structure until the epoxy sets, where poured in anchors are solid as soon as you set the nut.

Manistar

Although it looked pretty obvious the crane wasn't the cause, I did watch a YouTube video where they said Inland Crane made an official statement that their crane wasn't the cause and it was a structural failure in the building. Also reading some of the video comments there was someone saying that there were "cables snapping" the day before and the day it collapsed. Who knows where he got that info or if there's any truth to it.