• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hard on hearing............................huh

Colorado Digger

is anyone dealing with hearing issues and how do they come on? i had a pressure imbalance in one ear and i sometime hear a slight sound. it is not ringing or buzzing but more so, it is just there very slight, like something else. i went to the docter and he said i have a small case of tinitus?sp.? maybe cuased by stress or other issues. he checked my hearing and was suprised at how good it was, i always use earplugs in open cab stuff, but could years of dirtbiking and snowmobiling caught up to me?? thanks guys/

Grader4me

Did you see a audiologist? You would notice if your hearing was starting to go. When you and others start noticing you're saying what? eh? more frequently...When someone asks you if you hear that particular sound and you don't.. When someone is talking and you hear the voice but don't distinguish the words..
Some people that have hearing loss complain of buzzing/ringing in their ears , some do not.
I hear a whole damn family of frogs singing in my ears all the time.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
For me its them dam bells 24-7 no let up "ring ring ring"

RocksnRoses

Occupation
Owner operater crushing & contracting business
I have a small amount of hearing loss, Colorado, a result of years of sitting on open farm tractors with straight out exhaust pipes, before hearing protection was thought of. I also have tinnitus, which if I stop and listen, there is a constant squeal for the want of a better word, I suppose that is what they call ringing, in both ears. It is not deafening and sometimes it is worse than others, but it does over ride softer sounds. Quite often someone will say, did you hear that, but I didn't. If I am talking to someone where there is a lot of background noise, I have trouble understanding what they are saying. I find when I am working, or concentrating on something, or even listening to music, I tend not to notice the tinnitus. It certainly doesn't bother me greatly and I choose to ignore it, because I think there is very little that can be done about it, so I just have to learn to live with it. There are a few miracle cures on the Internet, but I think some of those would come into the Snake Oil category.

RnR.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I'm covered for hearing tests by Veterans Affairs. I go for a test every 4 years and the experts always tell me the same thing...They can't amplify what I don't have...I say "what...Speak up!".

Hearing loss from high speed turbines sucks because it knocks out your definition...around 5000 Hz IIRC. I can hear as well as the next person I just can't understand what is being said.....my wife says that its selective:beatsme

While the Navy has well documented evidence of my hearing decline I blame other factors from when I was young, like RnR says above. Massey Ferguson and Browning had a lot to do with it I'm sure.

My tinnitus is fairly intense but it only comes bad for a little while then goes away quickly.

tripper_174

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator Trainer
Is anyone here using hearing aids? There are so many brand names and types it it's kind of hard to figure out what's what. I'd appreciate hearing....errrr....reading any input! :)

Last edited:

Colorado Digger

how do i explain this, for one, it is only on my right side. it is kind of like frogs, but more so, it is just there....not a squeel. very bothersome. in a large room full of people talking it is very apparent. it comes and goes. and this has happened very quickly .. in the last two weeks. thanks guys. bob

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
how do i explain this, for one,
it is only on my right side.
it comes and goes. and this has happened very quickly .. in the last two weeks.
thanks guys. bob

Start avoiding the loud noises or wear your proper hearing protection, might not be too late for you yet.

scorpian5

My dad just got hearing aids from the VA and he is hearing things that he has not in years. His hearing loss was from when he was in Vietnam.