• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hard starting cat 3116 HEUI

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I don't have the fancy little clear line section to count bubbles going back to the tank but I'm thinking I have some injectors/injector sleeves leaking compression air into the fuel galley.
If no smoke comes out of the exhaust during cranking my bet would be on a hydraulic leak on the HP side of the injection system. The HEUI pump takes engine oil and jacks the pressure up to around 3000psi then sends it to the cylinder head top operate the injectors. The electronics simply control the flow of HP oil into the injectors to push the plungers.

It's a bit late now but you could have put a pressure gauge on to the cyloinder head, either where the pressure sensor fits or one of the plugs in the oil gallery, and measured the HP oil pressure while cranking. If it wasn't making well over 2500+psi the electronics are not going to come out to play.

See the attached for a bit of homework on how the engine operates.

Attachments

• 3100 HEUI SysOp.pdf
    525.4 KB · Views: 2

farm mech

If no smoke comes out of the exhaust during cranking my bet would be on a hydraulic leak on the HP side of the injection system. The HEUI pump takes engine oil and jacks the pressure up to around 3000psi then sends it to the cylinder head top operate the injectors. The electronics simply control the flow of HP oil into the injectors to push the plungers.

It's a bit late now but you could have put a pressure gauge on to the cyloinder head, either where the pressure sensor fits or one of the plugs in the oil gallery, and measured the HP oil pressure while cranking. If it wasn't making well over 2500+psi the electronics are not going to come out to play.

See the attached for a bit of homework on how the engine operates.
Thanks for the homework and more good information. We were getting smoke out the exhaust just as I would expect from your description and the info provided. Nothing for the first second of cranking while it built oil pressure presumably then consistently from then on and would fire on a single cylinder every now and then. I meant to put a pressure gauge on both fuel and oil but got ahead of myself when I pulled the valve cover and kept on doing some dissection exploration.

It does have the injectors you provided a picture of in a previous reply. I think I got the impression they were oddball because as you mentioned nobody would even consider them or had tooling to test them. I did find one guy that does 3126 HEUI and he is checking to see if he can get an injector holder or has one for his test stand that will work. At only 67k miles I wouldn't think all the injectors would need replaced at this time?

Nige

I think I got the impression they were oddball because as you mentioned nobody would even consider them or had tooling to test them.
That's because there are no serviceable parts inside any model of HEUI injector, so what would anyone do if they got one apart and found worn parts in it.? No parts availability makes it not repairable. Also to test the injector requires about 3000psi on the HP oil side PLUS the electronic ability to fire the solenoid, duplicating the function of the ECM on a single cylinder if you will.

Some HEUI injectors actually fire twice, a kind of pre-injection then a main injection. The type of test bench required to simulate that is AFAIK only available in the Cat Fuel Injection System facility in Pontiac IL.

farm mech

In that video I posted they were having trouble finding the tooling to adjust the rack, I imagine they might struggle to find the tooling to do the sleeves, I think it's also in the video. Might be best to do your self.
Interestingly enough I am waiting for someone to come back from vacation to get the information if he thinks they have the tooling to do this. I'll probably invest in the tooling and do it myself. Might even get me a specialty side gig doing this if there are more of these engines around? Do you know if I might be on the right track with the tooling group part numbers I listed for this?

farm mech

That's because there are no serviceable parts inside any model of HEUI injector, so what would anyone do if they got one apart and found worn parts in it.? No parts availability makes it not repairable. Also to test the injector requires about 3000psi on the HP oil side PLUS the electronic ability to fire the solenoid, duplicating the function of the ECM on a single cylinder if you will.

Some HEUI injectors actually fire twice, a kind of pre-injection then a main injection. The type of test bench required to simulate that is AFAIK only available in the Cat Fuel Injection System facility in Pontiac IL.
Are you talking about Cat HEUI injectors? I have had several sets of International/Navistar HEUI mostly DT444E injectors tested and remanufactured including both split shots (pre-ignition small pulse and then main fuel delivery pulse) and single shots. It is quite common to my knowledge. I'm not sure the brand but those test benches are capable of producing the high pressure oil needed (500psi - 3000ish), delivering the fuel, and electric signals to fire the solenoid.

These Cat HEUIs appear to have the same solenoids (albeit mounted on the side rather than the top) and nozzles on them as the other HEUIs I have worked with and seems like they would have all the same internal parts (plunger and barrel assemblies, etc.) as others. A previous response suggested getting a set of reman injectors for this indicating they must be serviceable?

I believe there could be value in testing injectors even if they are not serviceable. It should indicate if 1 or more has failed or are performing below spec or out of sync with each other. This could be corrected by just replacing the afflicted injector(s) rather than all of them.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Just because it doesn’t have a primer pump doesn’t mean you can’t prime it. Irked me that GM and Freightliner both didn’t spec these with primer pumps. That’s fine, I made money installing primer pumps and performing many service calls when customers couldn’t start them after a filter change or prolonged storage.

Like someone else on this forum mentioned the other day, I liked the 3116 because I made lots of money working on them.

I would connect a primer pump and try that before pulling injectors. Cylinder 5&6 will have you hating life.

Coaldust

Occupation
Update on this. No priming pump on this engine, we went through many cranking campaigns cracking lines and trying to bleed air with no change in wanting to start. Went through all the fuel lines from tank to engine and back and didn't find any issues in them and no evidence of sucking air when line was cracked going to the fuel galley. I don't have the fancy little clear line section to count bubbles going back to the tank but I'm thinking I have some injectors/injector sleeves leaking compression air into the fuel galley. I went ahead and pulled the injectors and will send them off for testing just to make sure they are good which leads me to my next hang-up. Apparently I have some really oddball HEUI injectors (sorry for the redundancy on the I, struggling to figure out how to write that correctly for those that read the acronym in their head...) They have the solenoid on the side and oil is fed to the top of the injectors through a short steel line from the oil galley to the injector top, the injector body looks identical to the 3116 MUI with just a single o-ring at the top. So now I'm searching for a local diesel shop with a test bench that can test these injectors...

This of course sends me down the path of probably needing to ream the sleeves and reinstall injectors using the 'seating method' that Cat requires. Local Cat mobile service is $190/hr (travel and labor) and by my estimation will likely exceed 6 hours of travel and labor (1.5hrs each direction) if they even have the correct tooling to do this (I'm waiting for a call to confirm that). Looks like I can get the 143-2099 tool group that will do reaming and injector installation plus sleeve removal and reinstallation tooling (which I hope I don't need to do) for about $2500 on ebay, Freedom Racing does not have the set in stock that does just reaming and injector installation for $1300 but it looks like I can piece together the bare minimum necessary ream tooling and injector installation tooling (173-1530) for about $1000. Can anyone confirm I am looking for the right stuff with the 143-2099 and/or 173-1530 tooling sets for this application as described above or from the engine S/N provided earlier?

Also I'm interested in suggestions or thoughts on how to proceed: just pay Cat service tech $1000-$2000 to do this, invest in ebay tooling at about $2500 and get the ability to remove and install injector sleeves, or invest in Freedom Racing tooling at about $1000. Note this is more of a personal project so I'm not figuring in my labor as a cost and have no reservations about being able to perform the work correctly myself.
$2000 for a Cat tech? Good luck You’ll spend way more than that. The 25 YO fella that shows up from the dealer, will be in awe of the first 3116 he has probably ever seen, and now gets to practice working on your rig at $190@ hr.

Very few Techs, still in the workforce, are knowledgeable, tooled and capable of efficiently repairing the 1.1 & 1.2 family. You are kinda on your own.

cfherrman

Interestingly enough I am waiting for someone to come back from vacation to get the information if he thinks they have the tooling to do this. I'll probably invest in the tooling and do it myself. Might even get me a specialty side gig doing this if there are more of these engines around? Do you know if I might be on the right track with the tooling group part numbers I listed for this?

I'm not a cat man at all I just watch that guy's videos. I don't think there are very many around and I don't truck very many mechanics to do the job right. Looking at that video I posted to you really think it will be $2000 at a dealer....and done right?

Nige

A previous response suggested getting a set of reman injectors for this indicating they must be serviceable?
That response was mine and in my experience with other models of Cat HEUI injector what comes out of the OEM Reman-labelled box is a brand-new injector with a Reman Part Number stamped/etched on it. This was a while ago though.

Even if OEM injectors are now genuine Reman products (reworked in other words) it still doesn't mean that OEM internal parts are freely available over the counter to customers. I have no idea about the availability of aftermarket internals.

Nige

At only 67k miles I wouldn't think all the injectors would need replaced at this time?
A lot would depend on the quality of oil/filters used in the engine during its life and whether or not the oil change intervals had been strictly adhered to. HEUI injectors don't like dirty oil if you want them to live a long life.
I believe there could be value in testing injectors even if they are not serviceable. It should indicate if 1 or more has failed or are performing below spec or out of sync with each other. This could be corrected by just replacing the afflicted injector(s) rather than all of them.
The same result can be obtained with a cylinder cutout test using ET without even removing the injectors.
Can anyone confirm I am looking for the right stuff with the 143-2099 and/or 173-1530 tooling sets for this application as described above or from the engine S/N provided earlier?
For injector installation the following tools are called out: -
164-5927 Wire Brush
9U-6862 Tapered Brush
4C-5552 Large Bore Brush
9U-6102 Reamer
173-1530 Injector Seating Tool

For cylinder head injector sleeve installation the 143-2099 Unit Injector Tool Gp is required.

farm mech

$2000 for a Cat tech? Good luck You’ll spend way more than that. The 25 YO fella that shows up from the dealer, will be in awe of the first 3116 he has probably ever seen, and now gets to practice working on your rig at $190@ hr.

Looking at that video I posted to you really think it will be $2000 at a dealer....and done right?
I really appreciate the line questioning guys. I have been my own service department my entire life except the early years of employment as an aircraft mechanic for yours and Uncle Sam's war fighting machines and therefore probably a bit naïve to the ways of current mainstream dealership/tech services. I would hope they would not quote a rate, or entertain a job if they did not have the resources (technicians) that know how to perform it and how long they expected but your input seems legit based on what I have seen with the new workforce and business practices in general. With this feedback I'm just planning on doing it myself and then I only have me to blame and pay for making it right if needed.

I would connect a primer pump and try that before pulling injectors. Cylinder 5&6 will have you hating life.
Good advice but I jumped the gun and pulled them and now have accepted my fate of hating life sometime in the future when I put this back together and unknowingly added a new headache of trying to find someone with a test bench to check these buggers. I could be wrong but we cracked lines and cranked and had clear fuel everywhere we could check and went through more cranking campaigns than I have ever done to get any of the Perkins, other Cat, or DT engines going with no improvement in wanting to start. I would have bet a 30 rack that it would have been thoroughly purged and primed by then unless it was getting more air in. It would consistently produce smoke during cranking and it would hit on one cylinder repeatably but never more than that, it sure seemed like it was getting air in somewhere after the fuel enters the head fuel galley (presumably the sleeve to injector connection?) and that kept it from being able to fire on any downstream cylinders towards the back of the block.

You mentioned installing aftermarket primer pumps on these engines. Do you have a link or information to share on what you used and where you put it? I'm considering adding such a thing for the same reasons, to get it primed after injector reinstall and when filters are changed or when it sits in storage for most the winter when I don't need it. Assuming this pans out to be worthy of adding to my fleet of inexpensive to purchase yet mentally and maintenance-ly taxing farm trucks.

A lot would depend on the quality of oil/filters used in the engine during its life and whether or not the oil change intervals had been strictly adhered to. HEUI injectors don't like dirty oil if you want them to live a long life.
Good point. I picked it up with relatively new filters (maybe Napa brand if I recall correctly), used but good looking oil at the right level, and clean fuel with no water that came out the separator drain. This was just one recent snapshot in its life that suggested at least recent maintenance but I agree doesn't really speak to the full history of regular and good quality maintenance.

The same result can be obtained with a cylinder cutout test using ET without even removing the injectors.
What is ET? I am familiar with an injector "buzz" test I've done on DT444E injectors with engine off. I did the poor mans version of this when we were cranking with the valve cover off and listened and felt for each injector solenoid actuating and all seemed to be functioning. Plus the evidence of smoke and an occasional fire while cranking indicated injectors were functional and delivering some fuel but probably not at the right quantity, timing, atomization (air in fuel), or heat (compression) to combust. With the scan tool I have it does a cutout test/cylinder contribution test but only with the engine running. Not having anything to connect to this Cat EDM or IDM and with a non-running engine I didn't think I would be able to perform that test.

Thanks much for the information on the tooling required! I'm going shopping now.

With everyone's input and suggestions I am currently planning on purchasing the tooling to ream sleeves and reinstall injectors and avoid the costs, potential incompetency, and being at the 'mercy' of expensive dealer techs. I appreciate everyone's contributions thus far and spending the time to research and provide information to help me out. I do have a lead on someone who thinks he might be able to get an injector holder for his test bench to check these (he does 3126 HEUI injectors already). If not I'll ream the sleeves, reinstall and seat the existing injectors and try again hoping for the best in at least getting to run.

Nige

What is ET?
Caterpillar Electronic Technician, the OEM diagnostic software if you will.

On a running engine with ET you can cut one cylinder out at a time and see the values for the other cylinders regarding fuel injection quantity & injection duration, etc. It's relatively easy to spot a cylinder that's not performing.
I picked it up with relatively new filters (maybe Napa brand if I recall correctly), used but good looking oil at the right level,
TBH I wouldn't suggest using anything other than Cat filters on it along with a good branded major oil company (in other words not something picked up off the bargain shelf at Joe Blow's Gas & Groceries) product in the oil pan.

Coaldust

Occupation
Not aftermarket primer pump. It’s fairly easy to look at a different AAR# of engine that came with the pump already installed and just order those part numbers you need.

Some ARR#’s already have the boss needed to bolt on the factory primer pump.

Coaldust

Occupation
Tell you what, all this 3116 talk got me jazzed up. Now, I’m on the Kenai, working on a Kodiak with a 3116. She’s a helluva a rig. Ol’e TT-103. She’s got Caterpillar Power, rolling coal by the hour!

She’s been delivering the mail since 19 and 94. She’s wired, on fire, full of diesel and ready for hire. 2800 gallons filled to the top. Can pass anything but the chicken coop, with that single screw.

IMG_9599.jpeg