• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Has any worked Field Service Mechanic for a Class 1 Railroad?

Brodiesel

Occupation
My wife makes all the $$$.
Has any worked Field Service Mechanic for a Class 1 Railroad?

Im familiar with other railroad jobs and railroad operations in general, but has anyone worked as a traveling field mechanic for the railroad? I was invited to a take preliminary test for this position and I'm considering it. Maybe somebody has some insights, thanks.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Speaking for myself, I would not consider a job there, even though I like railroad stuff.

Too much of a union member, cog-in-the-wheel, worker bee, middle of the night, type job for my taste.

Are you still running an independent business? Probably a 180° from that.

If you don't mind that sort of thing, then the pay, benefits, and retirement are probably quite good.

Brodiesel

Occupation
Well yeah, I couldn't agree more with you, I'm just trying to think outside of my box. We sold all of our equipment, nothing left except my toolboxes, I just buy and sell stuff now, out of my garage at my house.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
TONS & TONS of rules & regulations working for the RR.. if your kool w/ that, go for it..
Also.. its dam near impossible to get fired, once your in.. lol That's why you don't see many "young guys" workin the line.. the old timers just keep hangin out, filling the positions.
I got a call once for a loco stuck on the tracks.. it was an EMERGENCY.. I got to the gate & the guy says, you have to watch this 1 1/2hr safety video before I can let you in.. I said, I don't think so.. you better call this extension.. After about a half a minute of screamin on the other end of the phone, I was RACED to the tracks w/ lights & sirens ablazen.. lol.. THEIR loco was blocking the tracks and another train was scheduled to come thru.. & it was a 30,000.00 fine AN HOUR for blocking the tracks.. I fixed the problem in less than an hour, and the other train went thru with out a hitch.. The rules are in place until they are inconvenient to the company. lol

check

TONS & TONS of rules & regulations working for the RR..
Too much of a union member, cog-in-the-wheel, worker bee, middle of the night, type job for my taste.
There are two kinds of mechanics.

One lives in a world of reasons. He thinks his way through tasks he has never before performed and has the logic and initiative to find better solutions than those who have walked before them. He can work on anything because logic will guide him through.

The other kind lives in a world of procedure, he knows all his tasks because he has memorized them perfectly and does them right every time. He is very effective at the tasks he has been trained in. He follows company procedure to the letter and considers that just as important as the task at hand. Often a dealership mechanic falls into this category.

Working for any large organization in this day and age is often demeaning for the first kind. The most stressful part of the job is politics.
When I wrenched I preferred working for smaller outfits because I got credit for my ability and initiative. But small companies usually pay small so I got hired by an oil company and became a cog in the wheel.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Well said check. They will have their procedure and you will follow it. Period. Also, some unions are very particular about craft crossing. When we work certain jobs we can't carry our lineman pliers because we aren't in the concrete side of things or electrical. Most jobs it's pretty lax but some can be ball busters. I couldn't do the union thing for a big company in a big city where big brother union watches over you. Add big brother railroad and it might be overload. This place I'm at now is perfect. Small, somewhat free to think for yourself, union doesn't bust our balls unless we forget to pay our dues! lol.

I would say it all depends on how you like to work, long term goals etc. You'll have to be a team player you just might not like the team.....

Junkyard

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I agree. I'm working for a dealer who just recently decided to go union. I'm willing to give it a go and see how it works but honestly I'm not sure how long I'm going to last. Had a union job a few years ago and I swore I'd never work another union gig again.

And the politics and policies with these large companies is nuts. I'm the kind of tech who just wants to be given a job to do and be left alone to do it.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
I got a friend on the railroad. If I were a mechanic I would jump at the offer. You will work on rain days, but probably in the shop unless its a emergency. You will get good wages, senority as you go along, good medical, and a great pension. I worked union in construction for 44 years and 7 months and never encountered 1/100 of the union issues people that are working non union complain about. Just my experience, may not be the same for all, and to each his own. Company policies I can not speak to.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I'm sure dues vary from union to union. Ours are very reasonable and for what you receive in benefits it's a no brainer. The do hit us up all the time for extra. I'm not sure how much of that stuff my employer pays that others may normally pay on their own. I'd imagine each area and union is different.

Brodiesel

Occupation
Thanks for advice, my concern isn't necessarily the unions and politics, I have dealt with that and can go either way on it, I see management side and I see union side, its all the same to me. I just want to have the freedom to do my job and do it well, I don't want to sit on my ass and "get my 8 hours". Honestly I have quit every payroll job I have ever had, I get bored, I learned to work for myself and make my own money. Im 32, I just don't want to look back when Im 62 and say, damn I shoulda took that railroad job. Im actually interviewing any day now in Roseville, CA at the Union Pacific diesel shop, I passed all the preliminary tests so we will see how it goes...

old-iron-habit

Occupation
My main issue with unions is not being able to stomach my dues going to support their activities and leadership.

Highest dues I ever paid out of pocket was $24.00 a momth. There was a hourly work assessment that added up to about $3,000.00 a year that the employer paid on my behalf. But then in my last 30 years I was stupid enough to have 9 years with over 3,000 yearly work hours. It did pay off in extra pension. The early years I spent on wine, women, and motorcycles. Never much for song. Whatever you do, enjoy it and don't dwell on "what if" on your decision.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
My current dues are $31.00 a month. With those I get my medical, dental, vision, pension as well as the vacation pay which is currently $1.10 an hour for each hour I work. The health insurance is worth its weight in gold, in my opinion at least. My out of pocket is very minimal. Not too many places short of the government that have the coverage we do. I don't think you'll regret it. Sure takes some of the unknowns out of life.

Junkyard

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I had to hire a former union mechanic a bunch of years ago because he lived local. He was one of the most incompetent and dishonest POS I had ever had to deal with up to that point in my life. Railroad fired him but he had the union going to court to get his old job back. He never said a word to us about that possibility. I left the company before he did but I heard that it took about two years and the union got him back on with back wages and bennies. I never ever considered any former railroad employee for any employment ever again.

I'd hate to see a good man ruined because of an organization that would tolerate that kind of crap. I wish you the best and don't begrudge anyone a good living but hope that with your background you can still sleep at night after what you are likely to witness over your time there.

Welder Dave

Lots of places, union or not, have guys that are pretty useless so I wouldn't base my decision about working on the railroad on 1 person. Obviously the railroads must have some good people because the trains keep running. Look at all the interesting things Union Pacific has done over the years like the rotary snow blowers. Might be some real interesting stuff to work on.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I agree, there's always a tool working somewhere. Union or not, every conceivable industry and position. It's not a reflection on RR or the union itself. It's a great opportunity, unfortunately no job is going to be a perfect fit. If one exists I haven't found it yet!

Junkyard

old-iron-habit

Occupation
As a designer, I've worked with many skilled tradesmen over the years.....never dealt with any that weren't top notch, in both skill & personality.

Wish I could say the same for engineers.......

Ed

AMEN, Although I have worked with some very good engineers at times.

Jim D

Occupation
equipment operator
I am not a RR mechanic, but I have friends who are, with the UP. From the outside, it seems to me to be a very good job, if you are a team guy, and can 'go along and get along'. Good benefits.