• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

Welder Dave

The 90 deg. exhaust elbows on 6-246 look out of place. It would look better with exhaust tips similar to the bottom pic. maybe a little bit longer on the outlet side after the bend.

Welder Dave

I've seen other pics. of them like that. Just think it would look a little better if they were more stylized with a shorter tip or even cut on an angle.

HDX

I've seen other pics. of them like that. Just think it would look a little better if they were more stylized with a shorter tip or even cut on an angle.
Welder Dave The exhaust pipes are the same configuration as they were when delivered from the factory when new.. I can appreciate your opinion on the straight pipes right out of top of the 4 inch mufflers. I have to admit that making them back to the original version is more time consuming and expensive to make them and then install them so they look right... However, Having them straight up would require using those annoying Rattling rain caps!!! Well as you know We do get a measurable amount of rain here and it has a tendency to go down into the mufflers This sounds trivial but over a weekend and lots or rain When you fire them up, It blows that black residue straight up and all over the place. Then during Fire season there is these Spark Arrestor devices bolted to the tops of the pipes... It all comes down to personal choices .... I tend to like the more stock original type. With the single exhaust like the 5 inch single Donaldson used with the 3408's or Cummins , Then YES by all means The "Rabbit eared style tip out is deluxe. And I do add that style to all my other trucks. The 246 is just a nostalgic time machine to me.

Welder Dave

I was just thinking the horizontal part of the 90 not so long and maybe cut on a 30 or 45 deg. angle closer to the bend. Would still keep rain out but would look more like a special tip than an equal length plain 90. Actually the horizontal looks longer than the vertical. Some big stacks on conventional trucks are like that.I do understand making it look like it came from the factory. It probably wasn't a big priority in designing the trucks.

diamondtguy

Occupation
machine fitter/fabricator
HDX...I see you are using band clamps on the pipes. My Grizzly exhaust and my Mustang (both cars) exhaust is 100% band clamps.. Stainless,perfect seal,more clamping power and unlike the standard clamp they don't crush the pipe...You can take it apart later..

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
The Off Highway HD Hayes or WHD Hayes had a spring steel frame , unlike the HDX Hayes with an "I" beam frame . I have never been involved with purchasind a logging truck , But I would think the HDX Hayes would be a more expensive Logging Truck to purchase . Pictured is a WHD Hayes that was purchased by the contractor BCFP bought out at Nekite River . Well used and abused and wrecked at lest once before I drove it .

Attachments

• scan038.jpg
    scan038.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 34
  • scan039.jpg
    scan039.jpg
    465.7 KB · Views: 36
  • scan042.jpg
    scan042.jpg
    516.7 KB · Views: 35
  • scan043.jpg
    scan043.jpg