• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hayes trucks in the logging industry

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
:notworthy Thanks, mate!

Here some pics where to fill water. #1 shows a HD model. Lit is at top of tank at left side. #2 and #4 are HDX and pics are from same truck. #2 is closeup of lit. #3 shows lit at top of tank(right side) of a HDX model. Some tanks got a lit on each side.

Attachments

• IMG_2479s.jpg
    IMG_2479s.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,422
  • IMG_3087s.jpg
    IMG_3087s.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,417
  • Very tired Hayes HDX Malispina Enterprises #21 - Port Alberni - 07192007-8s.jpg
    Very tired Hayes HDX Malispina Enterprises #21 - Port Alberni - 07192007-8s.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,417
  • IMG_3083s.jpg
    IMG_3083s.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,407

JanRosecky

How fast you are! Another thing I now know about these vehicles - much appreciated! Thanks once again!

I hope you guys don't mind me asking. I am sure I will come back with another questions.

Born2clearcut

Dang, so how long did it take to clear the haul roads so that the trucks could get unloaded?

Ap40

Looking at the dates on my pictures it took 5 years (just joking ). It a depends on the distance, depth of the snow and the machine you using for plowing snow . I posted some pictures of a Cat plowing snow https://www.heavyequipmentforums.co...2-British-Columbia-Forest-Products-Ltd/page28 post #410. This picture was taken in 1969 at Caycuse dump , i'm going by the date to guess what log dump it is . second picture just random logging road plowed .

Attachments

• caycusemar1969ds (5).jpg
    caycusemar1969ds (5).jpg
    249 KB · Views: 1,458
  • mar1969ds (7).jpg
    mar1969ds (7).jpg
    264 KB · Views: 1,448

JanRosecky

Shifting / transmissions question

Guys, you will probably know this video and we all are definitely familiar with that particular truck:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3cQjuWXGlU&list=PL7DLr5dkipIFieFHVriOKOBtvmXMwityV&index=20

What caught my attention was the gearchange at the very end of the video (21:20). I used to drive trucks over here in Europe during my university studies and I had both 8 speed Eaton as well as power-clutch operated 16 speed Eaton Road Ranger so I am familiar with this stuff but what I see in the video is something different. What's that transmission for? Obviously no clutch pedal is used during the shifting and obviously this is not a standard manual transmission however the driver still controls the gearstick and changes the gears just when he wants so it is not fully automatic neither. Could anyone explain me how does it work?

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
Hi Jan, that truck has a Allison power shift transmission in it with a air shifter to move the spool valves in the transmission valve body. There is a electric shifter that can be installed but then you need to replace the valve body on the trans. as well as plumb in a wiring harness, and different shifter in the cab. The driver can also engage the torque lockup by using a separate switch usually mounted on the shifter or on the floor. The floor one you just step on it to activate/deactivate it. In the video you can just see a extra pedal on the left side, that is for the transmission retarder which the driver can use to help slow the truck down if the engine brake isn't enough. HDX your truck looks really good. The interior looks as nice as the outside. I especially like the bear on the door panel.

Last edited:

HDX

HDMech Thanks a lot!!! Not a lot of the Hayes's came with the electric shifters. The Pacific's mostly.Specialy after 1976. They had the switch on the floor instead of the manual lock-up on the dash as well as an over-ride switch. The electric shifters were/are a problem when they start blowing fuse's and you cant shift them. Some years ago a PCB driver hauling out in the Walbran tried to over-ride the fuse when it blew to get the truck off the road and she went into neutral and he was gone that fast over the bank. Load came over the cab and then the truck caught up to one of the logs and jillpoked it right back through the cab Driver OK new cab for the truck. I never really spent a lot of time driving Pacific stuff but quickly learned to hate that button on the floor --specially if you were backing up into the trailer in the landing and your foot hit it then she would go right into lock-up and slam into the trailer reach Bad thing to happen if the second loader was not careful. Hayes were the ones that modified the Williams air shifter to the style that I have in H17 They have a Micro switch mounted into the R/H side of the shift tower that engages the lock-up in the tranny. 075 will love that because we used the same principal when shifting the Clark trans. With the Allison you have to ease off the throttle a little when shifting like that so it does not slam the lock-up dowels into the lock-up position. If you dont the dowels will eventually oblong the holes and after time will fall out.Then no more lock-up!!!! Back in 1999 that tranny was put in and because there was no 60-61s ready at the time the shop installed a 59-60 just like the truck originally came with VERY GOOD !!!!! Retarder held way better that the 60-61's

HD Mech

Occupation
Heavy duty mechanic
I hear you about the electric shifter HDX, one night when I worked at Eve River I nosed H37 (Hayes)into the shop to do something. When I went to go park it back in the lineup it wouldn't start. After a lot of checking I discovered the wiring in the shifter had shorted at the fuse holder and us without a spare. No spare at Kelsey either. So I had to take the shifter apart and repair the wiring and then put it back in. My quick one hour job turned into eight hours of frustration! All the trucks I worked on at Kelsey Bay, Eve River, Menzies and the Charlottes had the lockup switch on the shift tower as a separate switch. When I worked at Port McNeill they were using the floor switch. They even reinstalled the floor switch in H87(Pacific) when they got it from Eve. Just what they liked and were used to. Anyway Happy New Year to everybody.

Last edited:

HDX

Hayesno1 The old HDX you posted way back (Post #23) She sat out at the Cameron yard for a long time. Couple guys tried to buy her at least one I know wanted to restore her back into an HDX and he would have because he has done several You know him (Ross)--- BUT another guy came along after the owner died and said all the right words and got her and he was going to do wonders to her but alas still she sat until one day another logging contractor somehow got her and cut her up right on the spot!!!! So she is now no more The guy never even told anybody he was going to do it Sad day Hayesno1

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Hayesno1 The old HDX you posted way back (Post #23) She sat out at the Cameron yard for a long time. Couple guys tried to buy her at least one I know wanted to restore her back into an HDX and he would have because he has done several You know him (Ross)--- BUT another guy came along after the owner died and said all the right words and got her and he was going to do wonders to her but alas still she sat until one day another logging contractor somehow got her and cut her up right on the spot!!!! So she is now no more The guy never even told anybody he was going to do it Sad day Hayesno1

No no no - I can't believe anyone would do so. For sure a sad day - she was very special with that telescope reach and selfloader. I met the driver in 2010. As I recall I think te told me he drove her for all most 20 years. In all the years I have been hunting Hayes trucks I have only found 2 HDX selfloader, and now one of them has gone. The other one I found further up The Island in 2004. Sadly I think she has been scrapped as well.

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
A few close up pics of HDX from 1964 incl. pic of #sn plate! I regret I did not take any measurements of her. She is worthy to be build a model of.

Attachments

• IMG_2384s.jpg
    IMG_2384s.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,090
  • IMG_2389s.jpg
    IMG_2389s.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,074
  • IMG_2391s.jpg
    IMG_2391s.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,092
  • IMG_2393s.jpg
    IMG_2393s.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,105
  • IMG_2396s.jpg
    IMG_2396s.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,079

sleddr

A 1973 Hayes working in the interior of BC this winter. Impressive to see a truck of this vintage out there working with 7 and 8 axle trucks that are the standard of today... There are very few still hauling logs in the this part of the province.

photo-15.JPG

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Pics of old BCFP unit #207 at Hayes Truck show summer 2012

Attachments

• IMG_0746s.jpg
    IMG_0746s.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,057
  • IMG_0749s.jpg
    IMG_0749s.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 902
  • IMG_0750s.jpg
    IMG_0750s.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 904
  • IMG_0751s.jpg
    IMG_0751s.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 923
  • IMG_0752s.jpg
    IMG_0752s.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 905

Hayesno1

Occupation
Project manager
Jim Falconers 1972 Hayes HD with off set cab at The Hayes Anniversary show last year

Attachments

• IMG_0699s.jpg
    IMG_0699s.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,667
  • IMG_0701s.jpg
    IMG_0701s.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,616
  • IMG_0788s.jpg
    IMG_0788s.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 1,554
  • IMG_0789s.jpg
    IMG_0789s.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,539
  • IMG_0790s.jpg
    IMG_0790s.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,589

Born2clearcut

BCFP's truck # 205
Couple pictures of BCFP's truck number 205.Here is #205 getting loaded, not sure what year picture one was taken but i think 205 is brand new .
Picture 2 is close up of #205 sitting in Port Renfrew 1959 waiting for its driver to head to the dump .( looking a little rough already )

Attachments

• 205hayrack.jpg
    205hayrack.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 1,536
  • closeup 205.jpg
    closeup 205.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 1,495

Occupation
Running Supersnorkel
Boy I sure miss the days of having to paint the logs as well as stamp them.

HDX

075 After the yellow log marking paint did you guys go through the green crysals that you dumped into a 5 gal bucket and then applied to each end of every log with a sponge wired onto a long stick? Very easy to identifiy the second loaders in the cookhouse at dinner cause they were covered in green dye That stuff wouldnt wash off---had to wear off. Funny thing was when splashed on the truck it wouldnt stain the white paint but sure would discolor the M&B red. Back then everything was 21over12 or HZ041 -- Crown or Ownership A much simpler time