• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heat/ac for TL140

kyoshidog

Occupation
I am a career fire fighter in the Portland area (s
Hi guys, I just recently finished installing a cab kit on my TL140 (All windows, doors, wiper etc.) The thing that I am notably lacking is heat and ac! It alsmost sems self defeating now to have done all that work and still be either baking or freezing! I am wondering if anyone has much experience with aftermarket HVAC units and/or factory retrofits? There is a factory heater kit available but that alone is almost $800. I have looked at some roof top and universal models and am afraid of really getting in overmy head. Is this something I should have a mechanic do? (The machine only has about 300 hrs on it is it is IMHO worth the investment). I would appreciate any feedback anyone wants to throw my way!
Thanks Much
Karl

heymccall

The OEM system is all Red Dot parts, as far as I can tell, on my two factory ac equipped units, and RedDot dealer installed on my very first unit. The RedDot installer must be close to Takeuchi in Atlanta, as it was shipped, installed, to my selling dealer.

kyoshidog

Occupation
The reading I have been doing seems to lead to either Red Dot or Dtac. I know the heater in my TB145 is a red dot. Any ideas for installation aside from the dealer? They are very $$$$$$!

Delmer

If it was me, I'd cobble together a heater and some nice fans, and forget about the AC. Heat is easy if you don't need it to look good. AC is much more complicated.

You seem to be balking at the price to have it done, so that's the way to do it on the cheap. If you want AC it's going to cost, either $$$ or the time to figure it out yourself.

kyoshidog

Occupation
That's probably good advice Delmer, I am in the Portland Oregon are and we really only have a few weeks of really warm weather, lots more cold then hot. I have found some simple looking heater units that could be adapted without too much trouble but I was thinking the a/c would be nice if I could get it as well. I didn't realize it was so much more complex to install! Not sure what I'm going to do but I'm leaning for heat only.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
AC at times is nice, but heat is a necessity at least in the Pac N.West. The thing about cobbling it together is you likely would not get a dime for it when you sell it or might even lose value depending on how cobbled it gets. If AC was really important I would trade machines and get one that is optioned the way you want.

kyoshidog

Occupation
Given the fact that the machine is so low hour and is paid for do you think getting a new machine is worth the inevitable loss? The only thing that I don't like about this one is the lack of comfort (I guess I'm geetting old, I much prefere my hoe with heat and a/c). I found a mechanic who works on the side who will do the install for much less then the going shop rate. It seems like I always wind up losing when I sell! If I had thought about it I would have bought a machine configured the way I wanted when I bought this one but I didn't realize how much more uncomfortable the open cab was. I don't know how guys who are in really extreme climates do it! Anyhow, Thanks KSS, you are a great resource when it comes to these machines!