• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heater for Deere 650H

AdamsExcavating

i have an open rops 650h deere dozer looking to put a heater on it for a little more comfort when using in the winter months. I do have a soft cab for it which is a tremendous help keeping wind off of the operator. If I recall correctly when checked on a factory oem unit that fits under the seat but they wanted a lot of money. Looking for suggestions for alternatives, or possibly someone dismantling a cab machine with a good heater or a lead to an oem style. Thanks in advance. Looking to purchase something soon.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I have used heating unit out of a old truck sleeper a few times over the years. might have to step the 24v down to 12v for the fan. I had a 650h with open rops and a heater under the seat. It helped a lot to keep you warm. Maybe find one in a salvage yard?

Tinkerer

Tarps over the engine sides. If, the fan is pulling air into the radiator. Cover the radiator with a tarp. As the coolant temperature starts to rise start rolling the tarp from the top down a little at a time. If you roll it up from the bottom towards the top you will get a lot of dirt blown back at you.:eek:
If the fan blows forward - there are tarps that cover the radiator with tubes sewn on them. They will blow warm air wherever you locate the discharge.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
I had a td15c with fairly nice shop built bolt-on skin kit. The idea was to turn the fan blades for heat. That setup was fine for awhile but it was just too much heat. After trying different configurations I took the front off of the cab and bought one of those canvas tube things that Tinkerer described. That seemed to work the best for me at that time. Just my $.02

Tinkerer

Wow, Bam !
I spent a lot of time on dozers with the fan reversed and also other guys working with them reversed with me but, I never saw anybody get that hot ! LOL !!!
What I didn't like about the snorkle was that my upper body would be nice n warm and my feet were freezing.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
IIRC I took some pvc and made an elbow and clamped that onto the end of the snorkel to warm my feet up. If I had the fan reversed with the full cab on it would get pretty darn warm in there.

AdamsExcavating

Unfortunately my fan is not reversible. We used to have One on an older 550 but no longer have the machine. I've thought about the tube from the radiator but not sure if that's a way I'd like to go or not. Called Deere today, set up for my machine with a different base with bent holes is over $2,500... Any cab h model machines being dismantled out there?

Delmer

You can cobble a heater out of just about any vehicle heater if that's what you want. A fan instead of a blower would be nice, but not critical. The main thing is to get it to spread the air out a little and aimed at your feet, the rest of the cab will be fine if your feet are warm.

AdamsExcavating

Deere cannot get a reversible fan either. Have not yet called anywhere else. Any pics of the heat tubes on a machine? I'm wondering how it would get routed around the exhaust. Plus it would have to go over the air cleaner on my hood also

Last edited:

Dickjr.

Homemade heat tube , go to a HVAC supplier get a 7 or 8 inch angle adjustable take off and a bag of the same size flex duct. Mount the take off on the radiator guard , connect the flex and run it to the canopy. It will work just might have to be a little crafty on mounting the take off to the radiator guard.