• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Heavy duty truck scan tools

mattyt1984

I have a few international trucks and some have check engine lights on. One wont start. They are international Maxx force 7600 trucks. I also have some older 4700 internationals. Can anyone recommend a scanner that I could do anything with that doesn't cost thousands as im only going to use a few times a year. Does anyone rent a scanner?

Jonas302

diesel laptops does rental its hard to find on there website just search for rental on the site not all that cheap of course they want to roll it into a purchase but like you we have to need on a daily basis

cfherrman

Engine controllers can read codes, might look into putting them in trucks.

I have the power view 485 but have not got it fully programmed and I also have a older engine (1990-95) (j1539 or whatever) so reading codes I'm not there yet. Mine is not a stock application as well.

There are other brands, a lot of oems use them to control def.

With you having internationals might be nice to have gauges that work for a change too

mekanik

Navistar's older Servicemaxx diagnostic software is freely available from their website.
J1708 is good for 2007 and older and J1939 is good for if I'm not mistaken 2014 and older.
You need a laptop and a communication adaptor.

MG84

Navistar's older Servicemaxx diagnostic software is freely available from their website.
J1708 is good for 2007 and older and J1939 is good for if I'm not mistaken 2014 and older.
You need a laptop and a communication adaptor.

What does the communication adapter consist of and where do you get one? I have an ‘00 IH 4700 w/ DT466e that I’d like to be able to pull codes from.

mekanik

The adaptor comes with cables to connect to the truck or machine a cable to connect to the computer and software that is installed in the computer to make it work. I see Cummins Inline-6 adaptors on Amazon for a couple hundred dollars. If they have a minimum level of tech support then that is a good buy. We are using a NexIq adaptor where I work.

It looks like $700 plus for a new one form the attached link.

The communication speed went from 250 kbps to 500 kbps a couple years ago and the connector changed. The new connector is green the old was grey or black. The new one is backwards compatible. There a lot of old ones around that will work on the older trucks that are now obsolete we have at least two or three at our shop. You might get lucky and find a shop that will sell an old one. Make sure the software is available.

heymccall

For what little use I have...Bluefire dongle (I paid $300 years ago), and free phone/ tablet app.
Used on my '07 W900, '11 389, and my '13 337.
Can reset, also shows faults and quite a bit of live data.
Doesn't do everything, but has paid for itself after being able to see fault for DEF that otherwise would've required trip to dealer.
20231027_102102.jpg

Truck Shop

This is too funny-When I retired/left the shop I tossed out a large box full of all the connections/
green and black plus all the cables/adaptor for laptop. I tried to give away locally no body wanted
any of it.