• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hein Werner C12 HD Excavator

Rob Gunn

I am new to this forum but I like what I see. Just wondering if anyone can give me a littler advice. I just bought a old Hein Werner C12 HD to use on my farm. The price was right but it needs a little TLC. The first question I have is what does this unit weigh? I have to hire someone to haul it to my farm from its current location about 130 mile away. The current owner said that he "Thinks its about 26000 lbs", does this sound right? The second question is I need to find a usable hydraulic cylinder for the top of the arm. Its about a 5' stroke and about a 5" bore with about a 2 1/2" ram and 2" pins on each end (I am only guessing because the cylinder is gone, see photo). Anyone have any spec information on this cylinder so I will know what I actually need to ask for. Anyone have a cylinder that would work?
Hine Werner C12 HD 3_18_13.jpg

pjflyer

I think it's in the 30-31k range. I believe it's under the wide load width, so that should help. My brother is in the logging business and uses a good hauler, about $100/hr. We have a C-12, under carriage in bad shape, picked it up for parts for an Insley. Will be swapping the boom and cab, but I will have a spare hoe cylinder from the Insey. I believe it's the same size, but it does leak (hence the swapping), so it would need repacking. We've repacked cylinders before, but not this size. If you're interested, let me know.
Also let me know if you would repack it, have someone else do it, or I can check on what we could do it for (our labor is cheaper than most). C-12 will be for parts, if you need any other parts let me know. We're in Wolverine.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Rob,

You're going to love that machine! They're strong, slow and incredibly durable. I bought one a few years ago and it is awesome! It has a log grapple on it right now, and I have 2 buckets for it as well, but I've so far just used it to toss around logs. I'm still learning how to operate it but am getting the hang of it. They are not the fastest machine out there but they will do the job and do it well. I do have manuals for mine but they're at my parents' place (as is the machine) about a 12 hour drive away so I can't help you right away, but I do have a parts manual that gives part numbers etc. so next time I go there I can look them up if you haven't found anything else yet. I think like pjflyer says it's about 30K lbs...

Pj, if you're selling parts, I'd love to buy the 3 spool control valve so I can add an extra function to my machine... Let me know what you want for it if you still have it.

Rob Gunn

pjflyer, Thanks for the weight info, I think you are about right on with the 30-31K range. I am interested in the cylinder that you have if it is the same and will fit my Hein Werner C12 HD. If it will fit then what $ would you would want for it. I can do the repacking. Send me a direct e-mail at: robert.gunn@boschrexroth-us.com Also, wondering what shape your track pads are on the machine you have, I may be interested in a few.

spitzair, I have a part manual but it doesn't give any info on the weight so I guess I will assume the 30-31K is correct. I contacted Volvo and gave the 040135 part number for the cylinder and they said not available. If I can just get a description of the cylinder then I would know for sure what I need to look for. Full extend dimension pin to pin = ______, Full retract dimension pin to pin = ______, Bore size = ______, Ram diameter = ______, Connecting pin size = _____.

dozer12216

Occupation
Currentlly clearing some 50 acres for farmland.
Hi,
Recentlly sold my HeinWarner C14A after several years of service. I considered mine absolutelly worn out even though most everything would still work(??). Track idlers were slopply and bushings long gone. How the track stayed on is a miracle of driving patience. The turntable motor was so weak it would not rotate up a hill unless load was tucked in as far as possible. then you would have to get a running start to get to top. Pumps and motor were all replaced to no avail. Electrical system hot wired to get started and rechage battery. but always would start unless contacts or brushes in starter bad. It was a good learing experience. maybe. It was drowned twice due to flooding, but was revived each time.
the unit may be avaliable for salvage parts if you are intested. Upper cylinder was O/K.

pjflyer

Hey Rob, I'll email you in a few days. The machines are in MI and I live in MO. Have property and family up there. Didn't pay attention to the condition of the track shoes, but from the picture, it looks similar, if you want I'll take some pictures when I get back up there.

I'll have to check on price for the hoe cylinder. I'm thinking half of what the going rate is. Our intention is to do the boom swap later this spring (end of April), so it would be until then until it's available. I don't know if you're in a hurry or not, but if that would work for you, let me know. The cylinder I would be selling is in operation at the time. Works fine, just weeps a bit.

I see you're in the SW corner of the state. I'm not sure what the best way to move it. Guessing at 500lbs, might be cheaper for you to drive up than to ship.

From what spitzair commented on. There's a few connection points on the machine. The back two are made for a hoe, just different elevations. The upper connection is made for a non hoe attachment. I can't recall from memory, but the manual we got with it indicated what it was for, but not a large load bearing connection.

maddog

I owned a 14(?) that was worn out when I got it. I made my money back with it and it didn't owe me a thing when the engine finally shot parts through the block. I believed it weighed close to 40,000 so I would believe that yours would definatley be in the 30,000 range. Mine was worn out but still ran fairly strong. They are slow especially compared to todays machines but if running good they're strong. How many hrs are on the ole beast?

pjflyer

Speed is not their forte. The Insley in high range does about 2, low range 1. Invested in a service manual, definitely a must. Learned a lot from reading that. The C-12 came with a parts manual, while helpful, no substitute for the service manual. Will have a Detroit 453 available later this spring also.

pjflyer

Hey spitzair, I'll let you know on the control valve. As I was saying on an earlier post, we will be swapping the booms at the end of April beginning of May. The boom from the Hein has a thumb, so we'll need an extra valve on the Insley. If we don't have to use the 3 spool valve, I'll let you know. The Hein will be cannibalized, parted out, and probably scrapped later.

Rob Gunn

Rob, I will see if I can get somebody to measure mine... I just noticed the boom mount in your picture, it is very different from mine, looks like a few more holes to mount the boom. Any idea what this was for?

spitzair, If you could supply the measurements of the cylinder then that would be great! I would owe you big time! As far as the extra holes in my boom mount, I was told that they are optional mounts for other attachments

Rob Gunn

I owned a 14(?) that was worn out when I got it. I made my money back with it and it didn't owe me a thing when the engine finally shot parts through the block. I believed it weighed close to 40,000 so I would believe that yours would definatley be in the 30,000 range. Mine was worn out but still ran fairly strong. They are slow especially compared to todays machines but if running good they're strong. How many hrs are on the ole beast?

Maddog, you say "slow compared to todays machines", I just sold a old Bantam dragline crane, you want to talk about slow... but it did get the job done. You ask about number of hours on the C12 that I just got, the meter is broken so who knows how many thousands of hours are on it but it starts and runs great so I guess I will just go with it. The new to me C12 will run circles around the old Bantam crane so life is good!
Batam Crane.jpg

pjflyer

I can get my brother to measure the Insley cylinder. He's currently using it. If spitzair gets the measurement from the C-12, we could see if ours would be a match or not.

Rob Gunn

spitzair, that would be great if your dad could give the measurements of the cylinder. With that information we will know for sure what is needed.
pjflyer, your correct, if your brother could take measurements then we can compare the numbers to what spitzai has and know if we will have any issues.
A very big thanks to all of you for the help!

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
My dad finally sent me the measurements. Retracted length Pin center to Pin center is 69", the outside diameter is 6", the stroke is approximately 55 1/2" (took the measurement between the base and rod end ports) and the pin diameter is 2 inches. Hope this helps and that you'll be digging shortly!
Cheers :)

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
SPITZAIR
There is a guy here in Kelowna that is scrapping a C14. PM me and I will give you his phone number.

Doug

judge

Occupation
retired toolmaker
Hey All, I'm in need of some track pads that have some life left, LOL Located in Birch Run Mi Used my last spare. Thanks, for any leads,24's or bigger

pjflyer

I believe ours has 24" pads (C-14), probably have a few that are ok. In wolverine. If you're interested, how soon? We need to get the one we have in a place where it can sit until parted out or scrapped. Let me know.