• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello To Everyone

Elast

Occupation
Heavy Equipment/Forestry Service Manager
Hi, Just a note to let you guys know that I work in the forestry/construction repair business and am willing to help anyone with their skidder issues. I have experience on Franklin/Treefarmer, Timberjack, Clark/Allied and some John Deere. I have developed a wireless Radio Remote control for almost all skidder winch's and have also developed a full remote control skidder for the mining industry(to keep operators out of the cab on the ice) I have been working on skidders for 25 years. I work for a Franklin, Daewoo/Doosan, Case dealer and are presently the service manager. I worked in the shop and on the road for most of my career. Give me a shout/pm etc. if I can be of help.

Elast:drinkup

Elast

Occupation
No Fabtek/Blount, Prentice/Hydro-Ax exp??

I live where it is all hardwood select cut so my experience on these machines is pretty limited. That being said hydraulics/hydrostatics are part of what I do as well as powershift/standard shift drivetrain, axles etc. I am sure I can hepl with generics, maybe not so good on specifics on these types of machines. I am fairly knowledgable on cable skidders though.

Elast;)

jon72

Occupation
Logger/Earthmoving
Hello Elast,
I have a couple of old Timberjacks a '79 230E and a '80 380.Of course the 230 is a sweetheart,but the 380 has some big Rockwells under it and parts are expensive and hard to find.Do you know of any places that would have this kind of stuff?
Thanks,
Jon

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums jon72! :drinkup

Elast

Occupation
Hello Elast,
I have a couple of old Timberjacks a '79 230E and a '80 380.Of course the 230 is a sweetheart,but the 380 has some big Rockwells under it and parts are expensive and hard to find.Do you know of any places that would have this kind of stuff?
Thanks,
Jon

Send me ser #s. I can get loads of stuff aftermarket and have a 300+ unit wrecking yard here as well as being connected to wrecking yards across North America via internet real time. I am sure I can help you out with whatever you require. We deal all across NA.

Elast:canada

jon72

Occupation
Logger/Earthmoving
Thanks Elast!I will look you up the next time I need parts.Timberjack cable skidders are still very popular up here and used parts are about used up!

Jon

Rene

I am interested in what you have to operate a Timberjack winch remotely. It has a 353 GM and a Eaton winch

Elast

Occupation
I am interested in what you have to operate a Timberjack winch remotely. It has a 353 GM and a Eaton winch

Presently we only equip machines with powershift transmissions because of all the safety features that we have to build in to meet MOL standards. Standard shift tractors present some safety issues and with the age of standard shift machines we do not feel this is a market worth going after. The cost to install a Winch Chief on a Deere 540GIII is $8900.00, more than alot of old std shift units are worth.

PSDF350

Hello Elast,
Thanks,
Jon

Have you ever tried http://www.nashequipment.com/ I wouldn't buy a machine from him. But he has acers and acers of equipment.

Rene

Presently we only equip machines with powershift transmissions because of all the safety features that we have to build in to meet MOL standards. Standard shift tractors present some safety issues and with the age of standard shift machines we do not feel this is a market worth going after. The cost to install a Winch Chief on a Deere 540GIII is $8900.00, more than alot of old std shift units are worth.

$8900.00 is kind of pricey. I remember back in the early 80's there was a outfit that built a remote control for standard shift machines, they advertized in the "Northern Logger" Anybody remember them?

Muskeg

I am having trouble with a JD540B cable skidder hydraulic system. The machine was used prior to freeze-up and it functioned properly. However, one day the temperature dipped to -10C the hydraulics failed. After starting the engine and disengaging the engine disconnect clutch lever the transmission oil pressure indicator and alternator indicator lights went off as is normal. I let the engine run to warm-up. However, when I returned the transmission oil pressure indicator light was glowing. There was no hydraulic pressure to lift the blade. I shut the engine off. I feel there may be ice crystals clinging to the transmission filter or the hydraulic pump filters which are blocking the flow of hydraulic oil. My question is: could there be some damage created to the transmission etc. from this happening? If so, what?

Muskeg

My problem with the 540B solved itself, although it took a while. I thought it may be ice or ice crystals within the hydraulic system creating a blockage, and it was. The skidder was left in the bush from Nov. 2009 until yesterday March 13, 2010 as I waited for the temperature to rise. I wrapped the front part of the skidder in a dark brown tarp and as the ambient temp. rose to about 4C or 39F on a sunny day, the moisture must have melted. I removed the tarp and replaced the re-charged batteries. Then I disengaged the engine disconnect clutch lever and started the engine. It was a relief to see the red transmission pressure indicator light turn off when I re-engaged the disconnect clutch lever. I pushed some snow and drove it for about 2 hours yesterday and the transmission appears to function normally. Now I must change the hydraulic filters on the transmission and the hydraulic pump and replace the hydraulic oil.