• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hello

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
I have a Case 680ck boom cylinder that is leaking out the gland It has a 5" cylinder and has a 2 1/4 rod. I have researched the net and it says the machine should have a 4" cylinder. Maybe it has been switched somewhere down the line? Maybe I haven't found the right information? Does anyone know about this? I need to find a place to get the parts. Any recommended places? I been reading here last night about taking it apart and I do have a 3/4 drive 1 7/8 socket, a cheater bar and heat so I'm going to give it a try.

rickw

We ran into a similar situation w/ a case 580ck. I removed gland nut a pulled the rod out. I took the rod and gland nut assembly to the local hyd. shop and they matched up the parts and asembled. the labor charge was not much. I am thinking labor to break nut loose and repack gland and the piston end was around $50 plus parts. was well worth it as opposed to trying to order and return things online.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
Thanks rickw, I'm going to call around and see what I can find out. I did find out by looking at Case website that the later 680s had 5' cylinders.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
It came apart easy. A rose bud on the rod and a small torch on the bolt and a 10' pipe. Now I need to find parts. Are these parts a dealer only or not?

Delmer

No, you can order a kit online from many places, or bring them to a hydraulic shop and they probably have everything in stock.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
Thanks Delmer. I called a local hydraulic shop and he probably could match up parts. But ordering it online would save me a couple of hours driving time, just haven't been able to find them online yet.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
Today I had to go toward a local hydraulic shop so I went the extra distance and got the seals. Asked the guy if he knew the torque on the bolt and he said 210ft/lb, does that sound right? I was thinking more.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
Does it show what the piston bolt with cushion device 1 7/8 would be?

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
Yes it is the boom cylinder. 5" I.D. x 39-3/16 stroke Cylinder,Part # D 45313.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
The hardest part of doing this repair is getting the piston/rod bolt torque. I called all the dealers around and still haven't got it.

Tinkerer

The torque value is in the page of my manual I posted. -------1000 to 1200 ft. lbs. ,with the threads lubricated. Don't torque it with dry threads. If you need to see the bolt look at Part #18 in the online parts book. I posted the link in my #8 post.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
Thanks Tinkerer. I think I'm finally understanding. I should I had search the torque for "1 1/4" for the shank? I kept looking for "1 7/8" for the head and I didn't see it on the page.

One more question on the "lube part", I'm getting a little confused. I was going to clean the bolt and hole with break cleaner, dry it up and use loctite. I thought loctite had to be clean and dry to work. If I lube it will the loctite still work? Could you explain?

The dealer called back a few minutes ago and told me to use blue loctite and to torque to 700 to 750 ft/lbs. Now I see that is what it says on the page you posted on line 4, I have backhoe boom with cushion device 1 1/4"-12 threads.

Tinkerer

J.I. Case did not use Loc-Tite when your backhoe was built. That is why they advise lubricating the threads. It is to prevent galling them at those high torque values. If you use Loc-Tite ,cleaning the threads with brake cleaner is the thing to do. It is its own lubricant until it cures. 700 to 750 is correct for the bolt with the cushion device.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
I am thank-full of all the help especially Tinkerer who had patience with my thick head. Tomorrow I'll put the piston back on.

ps66x4

Occupation
cement mason
The cylinder is on the machine but now it won't start. It has been sitting since the cylinder removed. My brother had the starter rebuilt because he said he burned it out trying to get the machine to run. I was over his place last weekend and tried starting it, disconnected the air filter from the manifold, bleed the new fuel filters he put on since the starter was out, using the manual pump. Wanted to bleed the injectors so I took off some covers off and found some adjusting screws and decided not to touch them without asking here first so I put them back on. It seems to me the starter turns over slow. He uses 1 12v battery and I figure that is what he has used all along so I didn't question it. Could the rebuild-er wire the starter for a 24v and that would cause it to turn slower? Just a thought. Should the machine be 24v all along? When we crank a little vapour does come out the exhaust. We tried ether a couple of time and nothing happened. So we gave up.