• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

HELP! 1986? Case 580D Construction King Backhoe.

MikeM22

Hello, I recently inherited a 580D Case backhoe from my father. The machine has been sitting for awhile but it ran before it was sat. It had new looking filters on it but I replaced both fuel filters and the air filter anyways. Checked the oil and it looked clean on the dipstick, filter looks newer.
It needed a new ignition switch which i bought and replaced. I also bought a new battery and the fuel filters. The machine starts run for a few seconds, sounds good then dies, and it will do that as many times as you turn the key. I had NO idea what could be keeping it from running and i'm looking for some more knowledgeable guidance. Instead of me just guessing and dumping money. I have tried to spray diesel into the air intake after starting, I saw that was a way to fix airlock. Anyone have any suggestions?

showrguy

Depending on the fuel and how long it’s been sitting, you could have a “chit load” of algae in the tank..
Syphon out a few gallons from the bottom of the fuel tank and see what it looks like..

MikeM22

Depending on the fuel and how long it’s been sitting, you could have a “chit load” of algae in the tank..
Syphon out a few gallons from the bottom of the fuel tank and see what it looks like..

Should I removed all filters/tank/lines and do a full fuel system purge? If so, is there a "best way" to do that?

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Just pull 46 & see if it'll stay running 1st..
Inside that return connector is SUPPOSED TO BE a check ball & spring.. if it gets clogged, the engine will run for a few then shut down.. & keep doing it until the clog is cleared..
IF u have an air compressor, remove the line & loosen the cap on the fuel tank & "back blow" the return line, back to the fuel tank to clean any obstruction in the line..
Clean out the return fitting & reinstall.. IF it keeps happening/shutting off, u have inj. pump troubles..
Google> "flex ring".. & save your pennies & get back to me..

showrguy

Should I removed all filters/tank/lines and do a full fuel system purge? If so, is there a "best way" to do that?
I was giving you something simple to eliminate as a problem..
I knew thepumpguy would show up eventually, he’s likely the #1 guru when it comes to fuel systems/problems on this site, so I’d advise you to listen to EVERYTHING he has to say, and do things in that order..
I’ll stay tuned....

MikeM22

I was giving you something simple to eliminate as a problem..
I knew thepumpguy would show up eventually, he’s likely the #1 guru when it comes to fuel systems/problems on this site, so I’d advise you to listen to EVERYTHING he has to say, and do things in that order..
I’ll stay tuned....

Haha, ok. Thank you! =)

MikeM22

What does that mean I need to fix? Sorry i'm totally inexperienced at any of this. xD

So I'm out here at my tractor, and you were right. I took off 46 and cleaned it out and it runs. For about a minute now. I ended up taking off #46 about 5 times now and keep cleaning it out everytime and the same thing happens... is there another way to get this gunk out that's more effeicent? Also my pump is different I don't see a #14

Attachments

• 1557593686664156354927731401781.jpg
    1557593686664156354927731401781.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

Coy Lancaster

Occupation
service tech
It could be that the governor ring is bad and flaking off so you may need to rebuild, pumpguysc and give you more info on that.

showrguy

So I'm out here at my tractor, and you were right. I took off 46 and cleaned it out and it runs. For about a minute now. I ended up taking off #46 about 5 times now and keep cleaning it out everytime and the same thing happens... is there another way to get this gunk out that's more effeicent? Also my pump is different I don't see a #14
Did you drain any fuel out yet ??
Reason I suggested you do that is, years ago my JD410 was doing exactly the same thing as your machine, drove us nuts troubleshooting..
Someone suggested the fuel could be the culprit..... I siphoned about 5 gallons from the tank..
It looked like someone shaved Cher’s head, and stuffed all that hair in my fuel tank..
Cleaned out tank, and new fuel, it’s been running great eversince..

MikeM22

Did you drain any fuel out yet ??
Reason I suggested you do that is, years ago my JD410 was doing exactly the same thing as your machine, drove us nuts troubleshooting..
Someone suggested the fuel could be the culprit..... I siphoned about 5 gallons from the tank..
It looked like someone shaved Cher’s head, and stuffed all that hair in my fuel tank..
Cleaned out tank, and new fuel, it’s been running great eversince..

I did remove the old diesel just because I didn't know how old it was. I put new diesel in but I did not clean the tank. I didn't know I would have to.

Also the stuff I keep cleaning out looks like rusty red sand