• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help diagnosing a cat320d starting issue

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
So when I do download the product status .. do I just compare and change what is on there or just re-upload the old one?
It's not like a "copy configuration" file that you can download from an ECM that you are replacing to the laptop via ET then re-upload to a brand-new (blank) ECM.

The PSR is nothing more than an Adobe pdf file that contains ALL the information for ALL the ECMs on the machine in one place. So if in the future something happens and one or more ECMs lose their "memory settings" (e.g. all the injector E-Trim numbers disappear for some reason) you have a document that will enable you to manually re-program each parameter on the Config screen of the particular ECM manually using ET and the information contained in the PSR.

As HMC commented earlier the factory don't keep that data any more, as a customer you're now expected to do it for yourself.

Try downloading the PSR and you'll see what I mean.

None of the above is a short-cut to installing the E-Trim files for the replacement injectors. You'll still have to do that manually a cylinder at a time.

Last edited:

Shivan Dookeran

thanks for the responses guys , i gathered that much about the trim files ,just i am a bit more prepared when its being changed.
today im collecting the parts and going down to the machine ,will update as it goes by.

Gary Layton

Nige, et al....I am observing all this from the sideline. I have a 2006 CAT 320CL. The CAT mechanic a few months ago flashed my ECM as part of a service call and it would not "reset"...as a result, CAT replaced my ECM (free to me) and got me going again. Do I need to copy any files off the ECM such as trim files, PSR? Or am I even able to access those files? I have the impression that only CAT personnel can access the ECM.

Suggestions?

Shivan Dookeran

Hey guys update time , we got to the machine and the mechanic decided to do some more in depth checks before diving into the injectors , we checked rail pressure and was only getting up to 1700 psi with spikes of 2400psi, disconnected the rail and connected the Guage to the high pressure pump and was seeing pressures of 6000psi and up ,we then checked the pressure relief valve we found some debris so cleaned that up and the rail (I'll replace soon) we then reconnected and checked pressures ,same values ,the mechanic put the pressure Guage on the number 6 cylinder and we started to progressively blank the rest of the lines and after we did 2 the pressure shot up to 3000psi which led us to believe more was leaking off. Changed the injectors and installed the trim files and voila machine started on its own first time and in 1 tumble after that , even tried to dig and it felt like a completely new machine .

Must say thanks to nige ,ahart,heymcall , simonc and everyone else who gave some advice it was well received as I'm still learning on this job . Hope someday to return the valuable help you guys offer here