• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help me buy a truck, please!

joe--h

I'm in New Mexico, never changed my info. Moving back to Utah this year I think (hope). I'm in New Mexico, High Rolls 88325.

It's a 6 cyl, 2 wheel drive. Runs good but I just don't drive it much. And I don't want to move it, have another truck & a Suburban and wife's car to move now.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
It comes from a place where we have weather!

HA! Enjoying a real spring this year with highs in the low 70's and lows in the high 40's for the last 2 months. Absolutely fantastic weather. :)

Pic of said 250.

IMG_4580.jpeg

Last edited:

mekanik

I just sold my 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 with 54000 Km on it for $18000.
I only put 2000 Km on it in the last 12 months.
Tk1RYya.jpg

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I was going to start bidding, but that dent in the passenger door . . .

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win

I was going to start bidding, but that dent in the passenger door . . .

I did that back in 2004 or 2005. :confused:

Carrying a stack of 2x10 form boards on the Gradall (still have it too) on town home project we were building. Truck was parked on the opposite side of the street of a 30 yard dumpster. I knew better than lifting the load and going over the truck and dumpster but I did it anyway... well one 2x10 slipped and the edge caught the door.

There's that dent and a small one on the drivers side rear bed quarter panel. I didn't do that one.:D

Last edited:

Welder Dave

6.0 litre GM is horrible on gas if it's used mostly as a daily driver. Good power for pulling a trailer though. Passenger side exhaust manifold cracking isn't uncommon either. Don't know your budget but other than having to have a new fuel pump installed and fighting with an idiot at a dealer over warranty during covid, I really like my 2015 F150 4x4 with the 2.7 litre Ecoboost. Body isn't going to turn into a rust bucket and gets great mileage with great power output. Mileage is better than previous 2011 F150 2 wheel drive with base 3.7 litre non turbo engine. It's also very quiet. I don't understand the appeal of having big lifted trucks, especially diesel that make a ridiculous amount of noise and rarely go off road.
In an older truck a 300-6 is the engine of choice if you don't need to win any races.

terex herder

The 300-6 is probably the best engine Ford ever made for durability. The u flow cylinder head needed replacement for future emissions so the engine was allowed to die. Straight sixes don't package easily, so it had little future.

Truck Shop

The 300-6 is probably the best engine Ford ever made for durability. Th
That and the 351 Cleveland open chamber, it made a great pickup engine. Was never offered in
a pickup-but would bolt up where there was 302 5L. Why Ford never considered it for use in a
pickup could only guess, had a great oiling system which the 351 M and 400 didn't.

Welder Dave

The 400 had horrible mileage, the 460 was quite a bit better. My former neighbor had one and I think on a good day got about 8 MPG. His brother had a 460 that got over 12 MPG if I recall.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I had a couple of 400 engines. One in a Torino, and the other in a Ranchero. Both delivered very good economy for their day. Quite powerful in their applications too. Never had problems other than timing chain in Ranchero, (1973 Squire) but other than that very reliable over the two years I had it.

Welder Dave

Neighbors was in a 79 3/4 ton Supercab. I thought early 70's would be a 390 but basically the same.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
The 300-6 is probably the best engine Ford ever made for durability. The u flow cylinder head needed replacement for future emissions so the engine was allowed to die. Straight sixes don't package easily, so it had little future.
I knew a guy with a 300 6 in a 2 wheel drive pick up. Used to sit there and hold it to the floor while he mixed his rum and coke. Couldn't kill it. Wrapped it around a tree eventually. Killed the truck, but he and the engine were fine. Another friend bought it off him, and adapted it to a Willys Jeep

Vetech63

Never fear......Vetech to the rescue!

Here is the perfect truck, and my wife just happens to be putting it up for sale next week.
Truck1.jpgTruck2.jpgTruck3.jpgTruck4.jpg
1997 Mazda B2300 with 262K miles.
2300CC engine with a 5 speed manual transmission.

So tall geared that you can achieve almost 30 miles an hour in first gear. Great fuel mileage, tight, drives like a dream, near new tires, interior is dirty but not torn up, plastic bed liner, and everything works!

Needs new heater valve, paint, tailgate rod, front brake pads, and front windshield. Wife is asking $5K

Come and get her! ;) Her name is Pebbles

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
So tall geared that you can achieve almost 30 miles an hour in first gear.
I used to drive one of those for work, the Ranger version. Camper body with side doors, loaded down with tools. It was so frustrating trying to get it started up a steep hill or anything. Years went by, we switched to a new one, drove it somewhere unloaded, thing drove like a dream compared to when it had been loaded.

Old Doug

That and the 351 Cleveland open chamber, it made a great pickup engine. Was never offered in
a pickup-but would bolt up where there was 302 5L. Why Ford never considered it for use in a
pickup could only guess, had a great oiling system which the 351 M and 400 didn't.
We had one in a E250 it was a great engine it had every little oil presser but ran forever. I never thought about not being in pickups.

Old Doug

I used to drive one of those for work, the Ranger version. Camper body with side doors, loaded down with tools. It was so frustrating trying to get it started up a steep hill or anything. Years went by, we switched to a new one, drove it somewhere unloaded, thing drove like a dream compared to when it had been loaded.
Dad had one it was geared different i guess it would tow a full size pickup easy but couldnt stop it. Thats one rig that i have nothing bad to say about .