• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Help with these ones

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I didn't get a chance to look these machines over properly. Can anybody identify please: (Had to go...tractor pull was starting:D)

Attachments

• Paula's 50th 196.jpg
    Paula's 50th 196.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 2,764
  • Paula's 50th 197.jpg
    Paula's 50th 197.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 2,722
  • Paula's 50th 198.jpg
    Paula's 50th 198.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2,691

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
1927 Chev

If only trucks could talk

Attachments

• Paula's 50th 152.jpg
    Paula's 50th 152.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,612
  • Paula's 50th 151.jpg
    Paula's 50th 151.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,629
Last edited:

surfer-joe

I think you might have a later model TD24 Squiz. My International book shows a couple of similar looking models, but that iron shade tree is sure different. It looks to have been adapted from another tractor with those overhead sheaves and all. The exhaust setup doesn't look like any International I ever saw, but it may be part and parcel of an early 817 model engine. Much as I would have liked to, I just was never around a lot of the early International tractors and there are not a lot of them left around for study.

The skidder may be a Clark 664 or a Timberjack. Never around a lot of those either. Great Lakes Paper had mostly Tree Farmers in my area. They also had Clarks and Timberjacks, even a few early Deere models.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Squizzy,

The track type tractor is an International BTD20 - a genuine mild steel monstrosity powered by a Rolls-Royce C6NFL or C6SFL diesel.

The skidder is either a Clark 664 or could be an Interbational Paylogger - not too sure:eek:

stretch

Occupation
gopher
I don't think that's a Clark...I'll be damned if it is but I'd go with an IH just by the paint scheme.

surfer-joe

OK, I just came on a reference to an International S11 Skidder. After spending quite a bit of time on-line, I finally found some other rather poor pictures that tend to confirm Squizzie's find as being an S11.

I actually meant to write earlier that the dozer was a TD25, not TD24. But I've done some checking on the TD20 model after WabcoMan's comment, and sure enough, it's a TD20 with a Rolls Royce engine. The air box for the engine air induction is what threw me off, plus the cable runner pipe along the right side, which compared favorably with one of the TD25 pictures my International book has. Stretch mentioned International too and that rang a bell.

I slapped myself a couple of times later when I thought, Squizzy is at an International museum, dummy, not one for Clark's or Timberjacks.

I'd still be interested to know what they ran off the sheaves on the ROPS.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
The Skidder

Hi Surfer-Joe

Yes, I'm inclined to agree with you - either S-10 or S-11 IH PayLogger:cool2

CAT 24H

International Dozer

Hello Squizzy246B

The International dozer that you want identified is is a BTD20, which was powered by a Rolls Royce 6 cylinder diesel engine.

Regards

Alan T Lewis
Christchurch
NEW ZEALAND

Deas Plant

Sheaves on NON-rops

Hi, Surfer-joe.
That frame over the BTD20 is not a ROPS. It is a shining example of a very common style of timber canopy fitted to dozers engaged in clearing work in the 1960's-70's-80's in Western Australia. The sheaves up top are for a separate cable-controlled tree pusher bar. The cable for this would have run up from the winch at the rear to the single sheave at the rear of the canopy and over the roof to the front sheaves with usually either 2 or 4 falls of cable to the tree pusher, depending on tree pusher size and designer's whim. There is a second pair of push trunnions above and behind the dozer push trunnions that would have been for the tree pusher bar.

Please find attached a couple of photos. The first is of a cable arrangement similar to what would have been fitted to the BTD20 above. The second is of a common tree pusher arrangement where the tree pusher attached to mounts on the dozer push arms instead of to separate trunnions as was fitted to the BTD20. A lot of hydrraulic dozers fitted with tree pushers just left the tree pusher resting on top of the blade as with that D6D. Another option on ripper-equipped dozers with a timber canopy was to run a cable over the top of the canopy between ripper and tree pusher. When the ripper went down, the tree pusher went UP.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Cat D8 1H dozer with tree pusher B-W_1_Acme.jpg
    Cat D8 1H dozer with tree pusher B-W_1_Acme.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,932
  • Cat D6D dozer, tree pusher, canopy_1_TP.jpg
    Cat D6D dozer, tree pusher, canopy_1_TP.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 3,481
Last edited:

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
The Skidder:

I don't think that's a Clark...I'll be damned if it is but I'd go with an IH just by the paint scheme.

I don't either... we've got a Clark 667... and you steer it with the same
lever that controls the blade.... In other words, it doesn't have a steering wheel.

OCR

OCR

Occupation
Sheaves on NON-rops... Photo. #1:

Hi, Surfer-joe.
That frame over the BTD20 is not a ROPS. It is a shining example of a very common style of timber canopy fitted to dozers engaged in clearing work in the 1960's.

Aha, we finally get to see a picture of Deas... ;)

Looks a bit on the wild side back when he was a kid... That's what you call

" pullin' levers "... :lmao :lmao

All in fun, Deas... but nice pictures.

OCR

wrenchbender

Aha, we finally get to see a picture of Deas... ;)

Looks a bit on the wild side back when he was a kid... That's what you call

" pullin' levers "... :lmao :lmao

All in fun, Deas... but nice pictures.

OCR

That pic ain't old enough to be a pic of Deas as a kid, or it would be a mule drawn dozer:D

Deas Plant

Mule-drawn dozer, huh???????????????

Hi, Wrenchbender.
And you were cleaning the stables, weren't you, bending shovel and fork handles instead of wrenches. An' yer still shovellin' it. LOL.

But you ain't so far wrong, at least about the early 'dozers'. Way before they had crawler tractors to hang dozer blades on, they apparently used an arrangement that consisted of a frame with three push arms and a board blade across the front of them. They would harness a couple of mules into the frame and use them to push cartloads of dirt over the edge of a gully to fill it. Going forward wasn't too bad, so I'm told. Going backwards or turning the whole issue around to get back for another push was a whole 'nuther story. As for final trim, before LeTourneau invented the PCU, use your own imagination.

OCR

Occupation
Hi, Wrenchbender.
And you were cleaning the stables, weren't you, bending shovel and fork handles instead of wrenches. An' yer still shovellin' it. LOL.
...................................... :pointlaugh ............. :lmao
How can he be so crabby... an still have such a wonderful wit about him???

OCR

Last edited:

bruce oz

????????

hello all

quote-How can he be so crabby... an still have such a wonderful wit about him???

he is a australian ,if you cannot laugth at yourself ,give up and go home,it part of being a ozzie :drinkup:D,bruce oz

dirt digger

Occupation
pushing dirt, baling hay, and hitting the books
heres what a nice Clark looks like

Attachments

• 10-26-08 014.jpg
    10-26-08 014.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 460
  • 10-26-08 015.jpg
    10-26-08 015.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 475

ray jones

I didn't get a chance to look these machines over properly. Can anybody identify please: (Had to go...tractor pull was starting:D)
Hi Limestone Wall

Just joined Forum. Interested in your BTD20 as I have one and would love to do it up. I live in Bridgetown South West WA. I would like to hear from you.

cheers Ray