• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Here's one for ya

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Been doing a lot of trucking on a winter project. I have been driving one of the spare trucks. They pulled the one I was driving out of the lineup for a bit. Some genius thought it would be efficient at some point to have the whole fleet have their MVIs run out in the same month, as most winters, they are not working. Not this year. Anyway, it's my turn, and the guy that pulls my little grader around wanted a few days off, so I grabbed his truck. He had been complaining about his truck for some time now. Every now and then, the clutch stops working. You push the peddle to the floor, and you can't get it in gear. Not like a clutch brake, more like the pilot bearing sticking. I fired it up after lunch, and could not get it in gear. I message him and asked him his method. Shut it off, and start it up again. I got thinking, it's not a computer. I tried it. Shut it down, restarted it, pushed the clutch in, and it pulled into gear like there was never a problem. Never happened again, all day Craziest thing I ever saw.

Truck Shop

Well--yes it could be input bearing &---worn input shaft splines, also dirt lodged in angle
spring cover, and driven disc. Plus the possibility of it being a Solo clutch. One other,
lever on cross shaft moves-if it's a Freightliner. And or a Solo with hydraulic system. Tangs
on clutch brake, Clutch brake hide, Many variables.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
2016 Freightshaker. One of those M2. 350 Cummins, not sure what the modern name is for it, but they tell me it's 350hp. 8LL. Never did it all day. Buddy was telling me it only does it once and a while. You stop, maybe under the excavator, and go to pull away, and you would think you are not pressing the clutch in at all. Shut off the motor, and restart. Push the clutch in, and it works as it should. I think the plan is to pull the trans out sometime this spring. I've jumped into a lot of trucks with bad or cut off clutch brakes, and this is nothing like that. I do believe bad springs were mentioned at the shop. Like I say, most winters, most of our gear is parked till spring, so the shop has ample time for repairs. but it has been crazy busy, and the trucks are full out.