• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

History of the Columbia trailer company

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
330766644_638168114785062_8581385606656945628_n.jpg

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
I built this Semi tanker in the late 90's, probably the last big tank I welded on before I became a lead hand. This unit was for Quebec, that's why the funny spelling

Attachments

• SuperGaz (1).jpg
    SuperGaz (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • SuperGaz (2).jpg
    SuperGaz (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • SuperGaz (3).jpg
    SuperGaz (3).jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

Ray Copes

Denis Bourk,

I have really enjoyed reading your posts on what it was like to work at Columbia Trailers. My uncle, Art Copes, was the head engineer. He took me out to the plant on one occasion when I was a kid. I believe he got one of my cousins (not his son), a job as a welder at one point. That's another story. My cousin didn't work for the company as long as my uncle did.

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
Denis Bourk,

I have really enjoyed reading your posts on what it was like to work at Columbia Trailers. My uncle, Art Copes, was the head engineer. He took me out to the plant on one occasion when I was a kid. I believe he got one of my cousins (not his son), a job as a welder at one point. That's another story. My cousin didn't work for the company as long as my uncle did.
I knew your Uncle, he once got into a hot oil tanker with me, the heads were breaking away at the welds he said it was some kind of shear. we had to use another welding wire 5554 or 5454 and reinforcement

Last edited:

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
I knew your Dad, he once got into a hot oil tanker with me, the heads were breaking away at the welds he said it was some kind of shear. we had to use another welding wire 5554 or 5454 and reinforcement
I was probably 21 or 22 years old when I got in that tank with your Uncle, it was the first and last time I ever saw an engineer get inside a tank

Denis Bourk

Occupation
Welder Fabricator
Arrow A trains I worked on in the 80's. Centenial Semi tanker built in the 70's, the Aluminum shop in the 70's. Tipper dumping the chips

Attachments

• Arrow Chip truck and pup.jpg
    Arrow Chip truck and pup.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Columbia tanker.jpg
    Columbia tanker.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • Columbia Trailer Aluminum shop chip boxes.jpg
    Columbia Trailer Aluminum shop chip boxes.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • tipper.jpg
    tipper.jpg