• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi EX60URG help

bunkydad

I just bought a 1995(?) Hitachi EX60URG (Gray market) machine.

The hour meter showed 8300 hrs but it turns out that the meter doesn't work. The temperature and fuel gauges are broken. I'd like to replace them with generic gauges but need direction on how to connect them to the existing circuit board (if possible). I have the parts and operator's manual but I'm looking to get a copy of the service manual.

I plan on changing all the filters and degreasing the engine (its filthy) as well as tighten all the bolts and sheet metal. If anyone is able to post pictures of a similar machine, I would appreciate it. It would help me with the sheet metal alignment. The engine door doesn't line up with the front cover.

Here are a couple of pics:

2012-04-11 22.42.38.jpg2012-04-11 22.43.09.jpg2012-04-11 22.43.31.jpg2012-04-11 22.43.19.jpg2012-04-11 22.44.19.jpg

Thank you.

Last edited:

bunkydad

I de-greased and pressure washed the engine yesterday and when I started the excavator, oil pushed out of the dipstick tube. I shut it off, changed the oil and filter (I had planned on doing that anyway) and started it again. This time no oil was pushed out.

Any ideas why oil would be pushed out of the dipstick tube?

Also, I changed the fuel filter but I remember reading about a "Banjo bolt" filter in one of the forums. Which one is it?

Thank you.

bunkydad

How much fuel should this machine use? I ran it for about two hours and it ate up a little less than 5 gallons. Seems excessive.

captain charlie

Occupation
Home Trade Mstr
that seems excessive to me, but if your running it hard it could be reasonable. do you have a 4 cyl. nissan? You find it burning that much still? i only have a 3 cyl Isuzu in the machine i have its good on fuel.

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
How much fuel should this machine use? I ran it for about two hours and it ate up a little less than 5 gallons. Seems excessive.

Hi There, i used to run one of these machines, 5 Gallon seems alot, the one i drove would do a days work on not much more! Our ex60-5 has the nissan 4 cly engine in it and it just seems to sip it too! A good days work for 5 gallon!

Aiden