• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Hitachi excavator ex

topcat

Ok I have been into the track frame in preporation for the new track chains arrivle & freed it all up fixed the ajuster but found it all just siting in there solid no shock pad or spring that I could find behind the ajuster so it looks like the track it self has to cop the loads when there is muck in the chain & sprocket teeth ??
So from here on I will lift & spin the tracks more often to stop build up I would guess after all its only a toy machine so no frills .
TC :beatsme

joeylittle

hi , got an ex55ur , loking for parts for this machine, any help... need ngk spark plug module ( controls glow plugs ) , also need hydraulic cylinder

joeylittle

control module

I need an operators hand book for a EX55UR knuckle boom Hitachi excavator in english please anyone know of a site to download or buy these manuals .
Machine is working OK but hydraulic modes only have Jap writing on indicators & I found a blown 10Ampm fuse that may have something to do with the hydraulic controls as they are real sensitive & fast at the moment & there is no indicator lamps lighting on the dash when the switch or switches are moved .?
any one got a clew what these controls .
TC

Did you ever find parts for this machine since I have one also

topcat

Best of luck mate when you find one let me know to my new track should arrive today & we will start work again so i will start learning more about the toy as we go more work & tuneing to be done on the Hydraulics but that will have to wait till the job is over & we find time to play .
TC

archibaldtuttle

I have an EX60URG and found an operator's manual on the John Deere site. The same manual covers the 55 I think. Cost about $30 US. Covers all the basic stuff. The only problem with it is that it seems to be for the current version of the machine-mine is an older unit-and the locations of many things are different. And I don't know what the URG or your UR stand for. There may be differences there as well. In any case-its the only Operator's Manual I've located.

Jackson,

If you look at the way the access to EX-60 manuals is laid out on the John Deere site, there are actually EX60 and then EX60-2, EX60-3 . . . I called the help number for the library but all they do is sell the books and they have no idea whatsoever how to match your serial number to the series involved.

Long time gone (almost before the internet) there used to be a division of Hitachi in the US (in Texas) that could offer modest help with these gray market machines. I got a print version of a parts manual for mine that has been spot on by giving them the serial number but this office is long gone. I believe, as you pointed out that getting the correct operator's, parts or repair manual depends on correctly matching your machine to the series noted above. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THERE IS A WEB RESOURCE FOR ESTABLISHING MODEL AND BUILD DATE FOR GRAY MARKET HITACHI's by SERIAL NUMBER? This is really a necessary adjunct resource to the John Deere Library.

I also have another open question for any other Hitachi gray-fficianados. Was there ever a John Deere equivalent to the EX60, or any of the smaller of the Hitachi line that we get gray from Canada? The assumption I always had was that they weren't marketed in America because John Deere sold equivalent models, but maybe they just weren't marketed in America for competitive or supply reasons but there was no actual equivalent model.

As to the URG - I have always believed, but can't remember if it was ever confirmed to me by anyone at Hitachi, that this designated the offset boom. Does your unit have the boom offset?

As far as the batteries which you seem to have figured out, on mine which according to my notes is an EX60-2 but I have no way of confirming that and the parts manual just says "EX60 Excvator serial No. 10001 - " but no where on my machine is there any 5 digit serial number, instead the MFG. No. is listed as 10C-1977. Now maybe that sould be taken to be 11977 but who knows? Anyway it is 24V, Batteries in series negative ground. The machine starts from the key swith (turn left for glow plugs, yellow light on cluster goes out when plugs are warm enough, then right to start).

Finally for Topcat et al on track tension - I would imagine this debate applies to virtually all rubber track excavators, not just Hitachi. Although perhaps the idler design may include shock absorption on some other models that I have not found present on the Hitachi medium weight gray market rubber track machines. Of course these machines can be tracked either way, you can find EX60's on steel. So maybe smaller units have such niceties.

My EX60 broke a track early in its career, but I don't really believe it was so much from track tension as from the habit of the tracks to get cracks in the rubber and expose the steel cords to corrosion and physical abuse weakening them to the point where they may ultimately snap when challenged.

That said, I run my tracks much looser than I used to as a precaution. This results perhaps in more frequent detracking, but I'm pretty adept at getting these tracks on in 10 minutes. Given that my first experience with detracking was on a 20 ton Kobelco on steel up to its gills in mud, if you survived that, you can survive anything and I believe that the looser tracking is less likely to break rather than detrack. I've got ten years on these new tracks (BTW, I had no money when I broke the track and I actually used stainless steel aircraft cable and a nicropress to stitch the track back together and ran for almost a year that way. When you hear what they want for tracks you might consider that alternative, and/or just to operate in the pinch while you wait for one to get shipped in . . .

Nough said. Apparently I don't have the privilege of starting a new thread and no adminstrator has responded to my e-mail to explain why, but I am particularly interested in chasing down better documentation as to the actually series of machine I own because I need to buy a repair manual as I have to take the swing box out. The seal is gone and I can't keep oil in it and it has started to make a sickening grinding sound so I think I have a few expensive parts on my roster and would be well served by getting the right repair manual although I would vastly appreciate any comments on the experience of those who have pulled their swing box on technique, things to watch out for re falling out the bottom of the unit as you lift it out. And finally, I have a pretty good clunk at the end or reverse of swing which suggests to me that the shaft on the outer planetary gear and or the teeth are worn but I have never been able to find a way to grease or inspect this gear. The only guess I can make is that there is an inspection port under about the right foot of the operator's seating position that doesn't appear to access anything, but perhaps if the cab is turned to just the right spot this seems about the right distance from the center of swing to possibly allow inspection of the shaft for the outer planetary.

Thanks,

Brian

topcat

Thanks Brian I am back with a new track & working A$2000.00 & I am going to look into the running gear on the other side track its making noises that dont feel good .
apart from that I believe I have a presure reliefe problem on the dipper extension as it will stall out the engine if you butt it out & it takes priortary in the hydraulic system . I need to move the control handels when I get the chance to a beter position whre I can rest my arms on my knees or some where & work with my wrists to make things smooth in operation as the seat has no arm rests & you float about when on bad terain .
The off set boom is real handy but there is more moving parts to wear & keep lubed so it may help on resale its got to be used & not abused as the machine is fast & not the way larger machines I drive are configured with hydrailics you can blend movements & be smooth saves wear &tear .
Thanks for your time mate good luck in your quest for info I am in the same boat thats why I came here .
TC :notworthy Merry Xmas to all .

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Apparently I don't have the privilege of starting a new thread and no adminstrator has responded to my e-mail to explain why...

Explanation is quite simple: You have to post three times at the forum then your status will be upgraded, you will then be able to start a new thread. This is to control computer spam bots from inundating HEF with spam. :)

archibaldtuttle

Thanks Brian I am back with a new track & working A$2000.00 & I am going to look into the running gear on the other side track its making noises that dont feel good .
apart from that I believe I have a presure reliefe problem on the dipper extension as it will stall out the engine if you butt it out & it takes priortary in the hydraulic system . I need to move the control handels when I get the chance to a beter position whre I can rest my arms on my knees or some where & work with my wrists to make things smooth in operation as the seat has no arm rests & you float about when on bad terain .
The off set boom is real handy but there is more moving parts to wear & keep lubed so it may help on resale its got to be used & not abused as the machine is fast & not the way larger machines I drive are configured with hydrailics you can blend movements & be smooth saves wear &tear .
Thanks for your time mate good luck in your quest for info I am in the same boat thats why I came here .
TC :notworthy Merry Xmas to all .

topcat,

yours is EX55 right? not familiar with that machine. I can occasionally stall out the EX60 with high load but usually running multiple actions and never associated it with any bump on the dip control or really any one control and although it would become worse to the point of inoperability if fuel deliver were impeded. I've actually installed an electric lift pump right under the fuel tank because there is only three problems I've ever had with the machine (until 25 years in with this swing box) and those problems are fuel, fuel and fuel.

There was an inline fuel screen that nobody would know about contained in a hollow bolt at one end of the fuel line that was almost unreachable. (once somebody finally tipped me to that I took it out and threw it away and put the inline fuel pump and a prefilter right under the tank).

Are you not able to extend the dip at all? It sounds more like you are saying you can't do it under certain circumstances with other functions operating. I thought you wouldn't hit a pressure relief unless you were doing excavator isometrics, e.g. grabbed a rock or something that you won't slip off and pulling on it for all you are worth. If you are just moving functions but not under heavy load I wouldn't think the issue would be pressure relief. Rather you need more volume to move more functions and you hit a heavy consumer with the dip. I'm not sure how the machines are governed, including my own. I never looked into it because I've never needed to. I'm presuming if you start hitting more functions or load a function that has been swinging free that the machine increases its own fuel delivery to maintain flow to all functions but that is strictly an assumption on my part. My question would be whether it might be a governor type problem?

as far as noise from the other side track, I lift up the machine and hand spin the bottom rollers to check for smooth operation and then drop the machine and lever the track up with a long bar to check the top support idlers. Bad rollers won'[t help the track but the only track I've ever snapped was at a crack in the rubber where the steel cords had been exposed to corrosion and physical abuse. Do you have any sense if the one you snapped went at a pre-existing crack or weak spot?

Brian

archibaldtuttle

Explanation is quite simple: You have to post three times at the forum then your status will be upgraded, you will then be able to start a new thread. This is to control computer spam bots from inundating HEF with spam. :)

willie ,

thanks for filling me in. i figured it might be something like that but some sites require an administrator to figure out you are a real person or something and I hadn't been on the site in a while and so I also thought my absence might have been the problem so I sent an email to the site administator a couple weeks ago and never heard anything. unfortunately the message you get when you try to post just says 'you don't have that privilege, maybe you aren't signed in right' or something approximately like that and doesn't offer a lack of posting history as a possible issue.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
You have 3 posts now, when the server updates, typically within an hour, your status will upgrade.

Capnkel1

I have an Hitachi EX55UR with the same problem as Iminter240. Within a minute after I turn machine on the red light "system" lights up and the alarm sounds. I know the engine is not overheating and there is enough oil and hydraulic fluid and I have checked for everything I can think of. Does anyone know how to correct this? Many thanks.

emover_1

my guess is you have one bad pump. Most machines have multiple pumps with divided usuage so you can do multi functions smoothly simultaineously. If you keep using it you will have more bad pumps since they share the oil supply.

Capnkel1

Ex55Ur system light

my guess is you have one bad pump. Most machines have multiple pumps with divided usuage so you can do multi functions smoothly simultaineously. If you keep using it you will have more bad pumps since they share the oil supply.

thanks for the response. I finally called Hitachi in Australia and they were very helpful. They said it was most likely a malfunction of the collision alarm. Which I knew to be true because I had broken the wire sometime back clearing some brush. They also sent me an email describing more of the functions of the "system" alarm. The alarm can sound differently depending upon the problem. Thanks

topcat

Ok happy new year to all I havent done many hours on this machine for a while the problen is on boom extension there is no pressure unload when it hits the end of travel that is butting the dipper cylinder out.
croud it in & it slows then unloads the pressure as it should & the boom lift travel is the same slows then stops with no load on the engine & alarm sounds as it hits stop all good its just the dipper extension thats the problen it will kill the engine straight away with load stalling out .
tryed the limit switch settings but no luck I just have to be carfull when working at full strech on the dipper arm .
No time to chase faults till the job is finished .
Going to switch functions to backhoe & other configureations on the change over valve next time & see if its only in excavator control mode .
TC

docsteviec

anyone know where i can get a manual for a 1990 ex 50urg excavator , also need the swing motor housing /gears.
Hi i'm new to this forum in fact posting to any forum but seems like a helpful bunch of people on it so thought i'd join.

I found a range of manuals for the EX55UR on line at [email protected]

they were very helpful finding what i needed and came up with operators manual, parts manual *2 and a workshop manual, electric circuit diagrams and hydraulic circuit diagrams.

rseipalau

I have an Hitachi EX55UR with the same problem as Iminter240. Within a minute after I turn machine on the red light "system" lights up and the alarm sounds. I know the engine is not overheating and there is enough oil and hydraulic fluid and I have checked for everything I can think of. Does anyone know how to correct this? Many thanks.
i am facing the same problem with my ex55ur....did you ever get a respond - did you fix the problem?