• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

how are duetz motors?

Oldtimer

Belts have no place timing a diesel imo. BAAAAD STOOOPID IDEA. The way I understand it all the older Deutz engines were air cooled geardriven cam pushrod op DI engines. EXTREMELY reliable. Quite loud, too. I would baulk severely at any belt timed diesel.

Must be what my 1983 5 cyl Duetz was, because the thing never, ever- EVER- even hiccuped and I ran it WFO in 96* summer heat for years..got it so hot the oil on the side of the block (injector was crank case oil lubed, and blowby gave it some too) would smoke off...never lost power, never even farted. LOVE that engine. Cold weather starting was too good...20 below zero and you'd PRAY the thing wouldn't start so ya had an excuse to not go in the woods....it would start on the second revolution...no ether, no glow plugs..
Would never hessitate to buy an air-cooled duetz.

landtekk

I have two ,oil cooled 1011's and they are great engines. My heater works just fine but a leak can be messy. The belt can be changed fairly easily..I like the fact that I don't have to worry about checking the coolant. A pan heater does fine and our temps are below zero farenheit at night
most of the winter. Have not had any problems with the fuel system or bottom end and they are always are easy to start. I did put a starter on at 4000 hrs and you have to be a monkey but everything else in the Gehls is easy to get to. Fuel consumption is better than the kubota I have in my excavators and it's twice the hp. I do have a yanmar in a mustang and it's been great too.

Lil' Puss

I have rebuilt a Deutz 620 (V-16), 1015 (V-8), and a pair of 913's (I-6) all liquid cooled, and can say without a doubt that the manuals were written for Germans - even the English versions. Even compared to Caterpillar, the parts are very expensive, however they are very reliable engines with MTBO's of up to ~9,000 hrs.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
We have an oil cooled Deutz in our '98 Bobcat 873 and aside from a bad head gasket it's been a very good engine, it always starts even in cold weather, doesn't overheat and it's pretty good on fuel. We had the timing belt replaced at 2000 hrs and it still looked new... Aside from the time bomb, err I mean timing belt, I think it's a very good engine!

Scrub Puller

Yair...We ran a special build air cooled BF6L913C's (6 cyl 198 Hp) in our Hovercraft and they were mostly good for seven thousand hours.

In the same application supposedly "bullet proof" 350 Chevy's would do three or four hundred.