• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do I get this wheel off ?

Joe H

OK, went and had a look, Elves were a no show as usual. Time to go see the tire store and then see what's next.

And Vtech, it would be just as entertaining to hear about you cleaning up the grease from your LMSnail

Joe H

MarcusZ1967

Occupation
Do-All
Had to change the bud "widow-maker" rims on a '69 C60.... Bud 3/4" impact socket set from Harbor Fright. That LH - RH thread messed with my head for a bit.

Joe H

Surprise Surprise, I had the socket in an old set of 3/4 drive.

Now, are the left side studs backward thread on the inner thread too ?

Joe H

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Surprise Surprise, I had the socket in an old set of 3/4 drive.

Now, are the left side studs backward thread on the inner thread too ?

Joe H
Yes if they are on the lug nuts. Good thing you didn't need a pork chop to hold the cap nuts on.

Joe H

Well those thimbles are not moving. Tried both direction and no joy.

But left side is reverse thread, both inner and outer ?

Who thought this was a good idea ?

Joe H

terex herder

Chrysler. I don't know when chrysler stopped the left hand thread on wheel studs, sometime in the '70's I guess.

Truck Shop

Stud pilot goes back to the 20's on trucks/trailers. There is a method for ruffing up the
thimbles when stuck--but I won't suggest it on here, an along side the road trick. Everyone
would wind there underwear up tight.
Alright use a 3lb swatter and smack them from the side hitting on the square drive,
not too much just a hate tap.

Joe H

That's next, thought of it earlier but moved to the right side.

They're coming off, there's some oil on the threads except 1 was a SOB. Turned out to be rust, but it came. As it wasn't the first I knew I was going the right direction so just laid on it til it gave.

Spud, no impact. I'm using a torque multiplier - 3/4 impact is as big as I have and it sez no.
1715043793551.png

Joe H

Delmer

Yes, they'll both be left, if the thimble was right hand thread and the nut was left, then the nut would loosen the thimble as it tightened. I've never had to, but I'd add a little heat, 200-250F, then spin a nut on and smack the nut around the flats to wiggle the thimble a bit. Sometimes a cheater pipe on a breaker bar works better than an impact. The impact might just need a bigger/shorter hose, more pressure. Try both directions.

IceHole

Been years since I even saw a Budd wheel, but after doing some looking I see several different sizes so guess it would be important to measure the square of that "nut". Also would I be right to recall that the "nut" is stamped "R" or "L" to let you know which way to turn them.
I must work on old stuff cause near everything is Budd. Newest was a 96 or 97 L8000 log truck.