• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do I remove the sun gear? No bolts/clips on the cover!

Sniffy

I have a dead ex-58mu Hitachi that I need to load up onto a ramp trailer. Normally I would unbolt the 6 or 8 bolts around the drive front cover then remove the sun gear. Temporary neutral.
This final drive is different. There are no bolts. There isn't a indented ring for a circlip or anything other than a thin seam showing around the face plate. The parts diagram suggests that there is a hidden wire clip behind the threaded face plate that acts like a lock ring.
Any idea how to put this machine into neutral or remove the front plate?
final drive.JPG

Sniffy

Nope. Its not visible from the outside. This ring is internal. I tapped the assembly with a hammer to loosen it but nothing. The space between the round front cover and the side housing is the thickness of a business card, with no circlip

Cmark

My best guess is that on assembly, the hook on wire 1 engages with the notch 2 and is wound in through the hole 3. Like on some cheap hydraulic cylinders.
Disassembly will be the reverse. Fish the end of the wire out through hole 3 and turn the cover.

1715926153094.png

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Usually the ends of the wire locking ring is near the oil drain hole. With a small flat screwdriver or pick scratch around until you find the ends. Sometimes the wire hasn't been installed properly and is nowhere near the drain hole so find the end and mark its location. Then with a 3mm drill bore a hole no more than 10mm in from the outside of the barrel of the hub near the localition mark approx at 3 on Cmarks diagram. Now with a small diameter drift you can punch the wire out. Keep pressure on the the cover plate during this operation.
Don't ask how I know this shyt.

Sniffy

This is the external view. Note the zero clearance between the housing and the cover.

Attachments

• final pic.JPG
    final pic.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 38

Sniffy

Usually the ends of the wire locking ring is near the oil drain hole. With a small flat screwdriver or pick scratch around until you find the ends. Sometimes the wire hasn't been installed properly and is nowhere near the drain hole so find the end and mark its location. Then with a 3mm drill bore a hole no more than 10mm in from the outside of the barrel of the hub near the localition mark approx at 3 on Cmarks diagram. Now with a small diameter drift you can punch the wire out. Keep pressure on the the cover plate during this operation.
Don't ask how I know this shyt.
The all knowing crystal ball says that there is a road trip to Kelowna BC in your near future...:p

Vetech63

They are right about the circlip snap ring. It's very small diameter and only holds the cover in place. There is also a very small and thin oring seal. I'de bet that you are just not seeing it.

mg2361

Occupation
Equipment Mechanic
The cover comes off as Cmark said. What we do is weld some extensions onto plugs #5 (you will need new plugs after this), place the plugs with extensions back into their holes, then use a big pry bar to turn the cover to walk the ring out. You might have to tap the cover to break any rust free and spray generously with penetrating oil to help with the process.

skyking1

The cover comes off as Cmark said. What we do is weld some extensions onto plugs #5 (you will need new plugs after this), place the plugs with extensions back into their holes, then use a big pry bar to turn the cover to walk the ring out. You might have to tap the cover to break any rust free and spray generously with penetrating oil to help with the process.
Back to my post about oil and tincture of time.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Have you got that planetary hub apart yet?
You're going to need some info for reassemble so I won't do your head in just yet.

Sniffy

Have you got that planetary hub apart yet?
You're going to need some info for reassemble so I won't do your head in just yet.
I'm weenie-ing out. I'm looking for a crane truck to just lift it up and onto the deck.