• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do I remove this hose????

OCR

Occupation
Rancher/Farmer, Wildland Fire Fighter, State snowp
I use the colored wire out of telephone cables ,,,,,, I seem to find stretches of it easily during the construction season. :eek:

Yup... works dang good. :thumbsup

Lol, I usually get it from our telephone guy, though... :D

OCR

joelmartin

Occupation
CEO AZ Technical,LLC
To avoid damaging the flats if you are ever re-using a fitting, I generally reach for my Snap-On air hammer and the mushroom tip, looks like a button style mushroom, and of course slightly angle the point of contact towards the directiin of desired rotation. Amen. All the best.
Once I was under a swivel on a manlift trying the same with a fitting wrench, angled, pulling for all I was worth, when it shot outta my greasy hand and chipped my upper front tooth! Okay dere's gotta be an easier way to do this!

Something i have done may times if the space allows for it is to use a good sharp punch or flat chisel for the air hammer and go straight town into the fitting until you have something to catch the point on then angle the hammer so it is hitting the right direction to spin it free. The vibration of the hammer does wonders. I have always owned ford trucks and have yet to buy the fan clutch wrench. i also use this technique if i dont have enough room for a wrench and can just slip a chisel into a tight area and hammer away until i can get it by hand

ottawamerc

To avoid damaging the flats if you are ever re-using a fitting, I generally reach for my Snap-On air hammer and the mushroom tip, looks like a button style mushroom, and of course slightly angle the point of contact towards the directiin of desired rotation. Amen. All the best.
Once I was under a swivel on a manlift trying the same with a fitting wrench, angled, pulling for all I was worth, when it shot outta my greasy hand and chipped my upper front tooth! Okay dere's gotta be an easier way to do this!

Thanks Joel I'm going to attempt this method today, sorry about the tooth man I know exactly what your saying about slipping wrenches. I was working on my wifes van once (brakes) and the wrench slipped and I smashed my knuckles then some how my 2lb hammer laid a major beating on the side of the van:beatsme. Funny thing is weeks later she told me she must have just been hit in a parking lot!!:rolleyes:. A month later we got a new van.

Scott:beerchug

ottawamerc

How do I remove this hose???? ( DONE!!)

Hey guys you are indeed wizards:notworthy. I tried the hammer and chisel and after 4 wacks it was loose and I could remove it by hand! Thanks so much for your help with this I really appreciate the advice.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hey guys you are indeed wizards:notworthy. I tried the hammer and chisel and after 4 wacks it was loose and I could remove it by hand! Thanks so much for your help with this I really appreciate the advice.

Glad you had some luck. Sometimes you just need to get it's attention so it knows what you want it to do.

Now all you have to do is fish the new one in. I hope it doesn't have an angle on the other end too!

I just fought a hose off a JCB then fished the new one in place to find out the factory installed the fitting on one end of the hose about 180º out from where it needs to be:Banghead Just glad the machine is down for some linebore work so waiting on a second and hopefully correct hose is no big deal.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Congrats :) Glad to hear you got it off, in case you weren't planning on it you may want to replace the o-rings on all of the fittings you removed as they are pretty cheap(even from the hose shops) once they have been installed for a long time then can leak when reusing them.

yanmarman

Occupation
union ironworker
just take the other fitting to left of the one you want to take out,then use a pipe wrench to remove the bad one Good Luck

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . ottawamerc. Good one mate! it is always nice when folks respond to advise even if it doesn't work . . . I some times think certain posts must be invisible.

In other words it can be a waste of time thinking about a problem and suggesting a possible solution if the poster posing the original question does not reply or acknowledge.

Cheers.

Allgood

I have a set of Proto line wrenches back from mining days and I've had good luck getting them on tight and then giving them a good whack with a 3 pound hammer. Sometimes I have to whack it in both directions (the line wrench!) to get it to break loose. Good luck to ya and I hope you don't end up with as many scars on your knuckles as I have. They are only a sign that I've had to learn the hard way a LOT of times.

The last time I used that method with my line wrenches was when I was laying under a Cat 955 that had blown a hose when I was pushing dirt against what was to be an island at the bottom of a pond I was digging. I had to drop the bottom skid pan and all to get to the darn thing while the Cat was sitting against the steep incline of the island with a full bucket and stuck in the mud with around 6" of water to boot. I was making up new words to yell by the time I got that one fixed.

Oops, I see you already have the job done. Glad to read the whacking shock value worked for ya!

Last edited: