• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How do you build a stock pile?

JDOFMEMI

I would rather have someone ask the question than to run out and do it wrong.

Besides, for a lot of people, this forum is their "grading basics 101"

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
I always try to keep the can low. When ejecting the material, a low cutting edge will force the material to the outside of the bowl which will help keep the rear tires in the same track as the front(if that makes sence). Here are a couple pics from last week. we had a couple operators(seat fillers) that didnt have any scraper exp. Me and my partner couldnt keep up with repairing the pile so the D6 had to help out a coule times.

TDozer, are you guys working off of rt. 70 in Ocean County? Just asking because I saw a 627 on a lowbed going east on 70 the other day, didn't catch the name on the cab of the truck, wondering if that was yours.

Last edited:

tdozer

TDozer, are you guys working off of rt. 70 in Ocean County? Just asking because I saw a 627 on a lowbed going east on 70 the other day, didn't catch the name on the cab of the truck, wondering if that was yours.

We do have a job on rt.70 in manchester with one 627B. The pictures I posted were on a job in Florence right off rt.130.

DPete

Here's how my guys do it. Start out good and straight with material that will stack at 1:1 keeping the outside pass high then they wait until it's about 10 ft. high and the material changes to sand. The next step is to leave the safety of their tire mark toward the outside and slide off :cool: then squirm around and get 90 degrees to the pile and can't back down because the scraper has them hung up so wait for a tow backwards off the pile. One would think that experienced hands could do better and know sandy material won't stack as steep as clay type soils. End Rant, no harm done

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Uhhh or just add one or two wide at the bottom, build your edge up a little to keep an inside lean and build that new lift straight up the side? I guess you've never seen scrapers build out an exsisting slope? All you do is start a bench and then build it up beside the pile. :beatsme

That or if you don't have the room have a dozer cut ya out a bench for the scrapers to dump on 1/2 or so up the pile. That leads to a lot of baby sitting of scrapers since you have a vertical to fill against for the first several feet.

We had a very limited amount of space to build our very large stock pile on. After we made it we had to cut the ends/ramp off to make a 20' verticals. Then we built a road to the top of the stock pile and dumped that cut in circles on top. That was one very steep decent off the side of that pile and I'm glad I was on a dozer

Last edited:

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
Always use the driest material you have to build the beginning of the pile and to build the ramp portion higher. Put the best operator on the blind side and leave him there. Trim and pack it before it rains. Phil:)