• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How far is to far

moosefd

Using neighbors 850 l case to move dirt around new shop. Was pushing dirt about 180 to 200 ft. Got to thinking how far was the magical number you could economically push dirt . 200 ft seemed just about the farthest I could move it in a reasonable amount of time. Let me know what you think and do. Merry Christmas

j&d

Occupation
Crop & Livestock Producer
Wellll, I will take a shot. My opionion anyway.

First, merry christmas. Theres a break in the action here and dont know why i came here but here i am. There are many more experienced on this site with a better feel for the economics of moving dirt.

I dont know if there is a definitive answer to the question. Too many factors. Size of machine, blade configuration, conditions, quantity, operator experience, quality/texture/moisture of the dirt all have a bearing. Does a person want or need compaction. Are you cutting, grading, or bulk pushing and can you do it in a slot. What is the time/cost associated with moving in a different machine. Lots of considerations.

Sometimes you gotta just use what you brought to the party. Im sure a larger dozer moves dirt more efficiently at longer distances as a general rule and seems most of my work can be done with more beef than less.

Yea, probably over analyzing this so heres my answer. I hope others share.

For a 45000# machine, as a general rule if i have to move much dirt over 300' i start thinking seriously about hooking up the tractor and scraper.

Good luck.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
What other machines do you have at your disposal to move this dirt?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Here if even around 200' most will bring in pans and FWD articulated or tracked machines. Dozer is too slow, moves considerable but not masses of material, too hard on UC while running in Rev, loaders do not move enough at one time then Dumps and Excavators require more manpower.

Rustyfender

Occupation
Equipment operator
In my opinion, it depends on machine availability,timing, and manpower. Around here Iam mostly a 1 person show,so I push and push. My days of hopping in and out of machines and dump truck is quickly getting harder to do.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You would be best to invest in a pair of drag pans and a Articulated Tractor, get double duty of the tractor and can supply a service using the pans.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Cost to move, demove tractor, cost to run tractor by the hour. Cost to move and demove scraper, cost to run scraper per hour. Tandem dump trucks per hour, something to load them per hour. At what point does the ability of the tractor to move material by the hour become more expensive or equal to the other options?

moosefd

As I said using my neighbors dozer. He was most gracious to loan it to me I have ran lots of equipment before. All I own is a bobcat,tractor and box blade and a dump trailer. I use this in my construction business. Pushing dirt 100 ft one direction and 80 ft at a right angle. Been a while since I’ve ran a dozer so it’s taken me awhile to relearn everything. Especially in a dozer this nice not used to cab and a/c and coming home not covered in dirt.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Around here, tractors and scrapers are roaded for the most part, to and from the job site..
To me, at least where I live, a tractor is a dozer. A farm tractor is the one with wheels. Scrapers are not common here anymore, but we did walk them from job to job. There used to be a distance, say for grubbing on a highway job, with a D8 tractor with a u blade, shoving into a bullpen. It was a fair distance. A good tractor man could almost shove a wiggle wagon worth of grubbings in one bladefull. After that it was a hoe, a couple w wagons, and a smaller tractor, a 6 or 7 shoving up.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Working in a couple of small coal mines running D8, D9 and Komatsu D375 dozers, we figured that 300 feet was the longest push that made economic sense. There are caveats to that number though. The Komatsu was pushing to two loaders on a face ripping and pushing glacial till and shot sandstone down hill. The most that machine would handle was about 200 feet but a good operator could bury two 988B wheel loaders. The machine was working nearly straight up and down the face of the cut. We used a D9 pushing uphill to a 980 wheel loader in an earlier mine and that was about 100 to 200 feet and it worked OK. We cleaned off dump sites with a D8 and pushed about 200 feet at most spreading 50 ton haul truck loads on about a 2 to 1 slope. It all changed when we reclaimed though. We used two D8s and the D9G to reclaim at the first mine I worked at and that work was closer to 500 feet. The slopes had to be put back to original contour which would have been steeper than a haul truck would have been able to handle. We didn't have access to scrapers so they were never considered.

At any rate what I learned from the mining engineers at the second mine I worked at was that it all just depended on the situation and knowing what it cost you to run the machines. Sometimes you don't have a choice and have to use what you have. I can say from experience that running three dozers side by side can push a whole lot of dirt in an eight hour day.

moosefd

Am I correct in assuming a u shaped blade can contain more in front of it than a straight blade or it used for a different purpose?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Am I correct in assuming a u shaped blade can contain more in front of it than a straight blade or it used for a different purpose?
Yeah the sides are swept forward more than a straight rock blade. I think some machines can tilt the blade back a bit to keep the material in place. I used to watch some guys make a slot in the ground, and push the material along the slot to keep it in front of the blade as well. I've done it plowing snow, but never much with a tractor.

Jimothy

Occupation
Digger
200 feet does not seem that bad, like everyone stated very situational. As was also said the dozers there use it there are more economical ways of doing it right of the get go however if I’m dozing or doing anything honestly I start doing one thing then I see stuff along the way that I can or should do, problems happen, sometimes you get lucky.

to answer the question if I had to haul one pile from one spot to another 200 feet away would be okay. 300 feet I’d start to get depressed and 400 feet I would seek other options. Better situation I go farther worse I don’t haha

gwhammy

We have pushed dirt 600 feet on lakes but everything was steep and deep gullies. Don't have any tractor pans so a dozer or 973 loader has to do. On the average it seems we can always beat rate. Maybe getting ready to start a big lake with 70,000 yards in the dam but again the hills are steep. I know most aren't used to a loader but a 973 will move a lot of anything in a day.