• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

How much metal in finals? Trying to assess.

fastline

Per other threads, got a used 299 and doing oil change in finals. Oddly, one side has a magnetic drain plug and one does not? I moronically just now realized I should have checked to see if the center plug had a magnet and just in wrong spot but I can tell you that magnet is WORTH having in there!

On the side with the magnet, oil came out black but normal viscosity, but had a good fingertip pile of silver fines. Some of it seemed like it might be wear metals as they seemed softer, but there were also a couple larger flakes I just didn't like. I'd say 1/8" square and flat profile. Only a couple though. that was the extent of the metal there. Seemed like the plug caught nearly all of it.

On the side without the mag plug, I noticed immediately the color difference and it had more silver to it with fun shiny stuff but I didn't see any chunkies coming out. I fully intend to investigate the mag plug deal and get one for this final. No sense not having that.

Volume from both was normal, which is good, meaning brakes and motors are not trying to leak over. There is no question this thing is way over on final oil change but I just wasn't a fan of the flakes.